Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 03-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #1
jmorel33
Human being with feelings

Default All versions: Notes play on muted MIDI Devices

Various situations:
- 1 channel solo: I put notes in the MIDI editor, I hear it on many different MIDI lanes (not channels, but outs), so that's multiple MIDI devices. reason for this? Possible mixup with MIDI device maps.
- I have 1 track mapped to the same device / channel than the one I edit, I'm in solo; when I draw notes in the MIDI editor, the Device has a PC to the patch of the other muted device.... (not just annoying, but a good reason to dump Reaper all together)
- Program changes before the playtime gets executed no matter what, as well as CC and pitch changes. This is excruciatingly annoying and makes it so I constantly have to go back at the programming when I don't have to.
- If There are two tracks that point to the same MIDI device, one will interfere with the other when muted. Again, this is not good in any way and I promise, this will make me dump Reaper.

I've been dealing with these ordeals for so many months trying to circumvent the issues, but in a multi track environment with MIDI, it is hardly bearable to work into.

Thanks for the devs to keep Reaper a good experience to work with and not a paint in the derriere.
jmorel33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 03:05 AM   #2
EvilDragon

When sending to external MIDI devices, are you using the "Send to original channels" option, which is default? You might wanna restrict this to just the channel you REALLY want to send to and that should likely sort out any interfering between different tracks sending to the same device.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 03-13-2017 at 03:11 AM.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
jmorel33

OK I found out how to work around this issue:

Since my project has tons of tracks and that I have device redundancy in my MIDI and that I mute and so forth for rendering, I have to assign whatever other track(s) that use the same device to send to NONE instead. The reason for this is the same as mentioned in the bug report, as well as a nasty NOTE OFF bug (which led me to think the gear was in issue, which it isn't).

* NOTE OFF does not get sent to a redundant midi device.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:30 PM   #4
jmorel33

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
When sending to external MIDI devices, are you using the "Send to original channels" option, which is default? You might wanna restrict this to just the channel you REALLY want to send to and that should likely sort out any interfering between different tracks sending to the same device.
That wasn't the situation, I've tried everything. It is redundant sends that mess up the MIDI mapping. It scraps the other tracks NOTE OFF and other types of operations where it has to remember to do stuff.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:08 PM   #5
jmorel33

What seems to be the issue here is as follows;
- Your midi handling doesn't seem to take into account multiple tracks that point to the same MIDI device adequately.

Sometimes we have no choice to have our setup like this for many reasons; hardware related or workflow related, project related.

As soon as we point two or more tracks to the same device, then the issues start to pop up. Now that I know what it is, I can do workarounds, but it is absolutely a problem on Reaper's end, and have always been an issue as far as two years back when I registered.

So the sum of the issues here;
- two or more tracks pointing to the same device generates tons of issues;
* muted midi tracks not respected with the MIDI data in playback
* NOTE OFF not respected
* Obnoxious PC CC pitch etc gets mixed up between tracks pointing to same midi device (disregarding muting)
* editor gets mixed up, playback gets mixed up
Old 03-23-2017, 07:35 PM   #6
jmorel33

Well, since I didn't get any feedback to this, maybe I was misundersatood about the situation. Let's reboot this:

1) I have a project that has multiple tracks
2) Multiple tracks point to the same MIDI device
3) One track is muted, the other is not, both the same MIDI device
4) Events from one track interfere with events of the other tracks (both on same MIDI device)
5) Note off(s) of one track is not performed (while another track points to the same MIDI device)
6) PC / CC / pitch / mod wheel of muted track are performed on other track (both mapped to same MIDI device)
7) If I change the MIDI device of the muted track to NONE, then I have zero issues mentioned.

Don't know if anyone sees the pattern. Wither someone will blame me for having two tracks pointing to the same MIDI device, or again, someone will tell me; look at your MIDI channel mapping. But don,t you see, it has nothing to do with MIDI channel mapping. It's pure mismanagement of the MIDI devices.

For who wishes to know;
- Windows 7 pro 64-bit, but also Windows 10 64-bit
- Intel i7 980x
- 16gb ram
- Reaper installed; always the 64-bit version (since 4.7 up to 5.40 now)
- MIDI hardware; RME Multiface 2 MIDI, MOTU MTP AV usb, MTP AV, MTP2, midisport 4i4o

Regardless of the hardware, the situation will always happen and has always happened.

Last edited by jmorel33; 03-25-2017 at 01:47 PM.