COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 11-13-2015, 12:57 AM   #1
Chris4943
Human being with feelings

Default Ninjam download for OSX?

I just tried downloading and installing the ninjam client for OSX from what appears to be the 'official' ninjam website, and it says it won't work on my macbook because I don't have a power pc.
Yet, in searches, I sort of see people using ninjam on macs at least up to 10.7 Lion, which I think is post power pc.
What gives?
FWIW, I've been googling and searching and thread stocking for hours and days and it is getting no clearer how to make this thing work.

A little help?
Old 11-13-2015, 10:30 AM   #2
pljones

Reaper comes with a built in client.

There's also the new JamTaba client that is available for MacOS I believe.
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
Chris4943

Quote:
Originally Posted by pljones View Post
Reaper comes with a built in client.

There's also the new JamTaba client that is available for MacOS I believe.
Sighhhhhhh, another goose chase after sketchy software.

Sorry, honestly don't mean to sound so pissy but I'm chasing my freaking tail here.
After reading the official Cockos Ninjam website I thought I needed to download some client software. I guess that's no longer the case? Wow, is it too much to ask to update the website with that particularly necessary info? (I'm not directing this frustration at you pljones but at Cockos).

Ok, I guess I don't need to download anything, hooray. It's already 'in' the overall Reaper program. Why would I need some other software like jamtaba then? Does that sort of take the place of setting up a 'server'? Cause the server download links are also outdated/useless.

All I wanna do is talk to a podcast co-host 50 miles away and record his medium fidelity audio in real time in my Reaper DAW in its own track alongside my vocal track, so that I don't have to sync up separate audio tracks later (it can be a pain and time consuming and I've messed it up before and ruined a whole show). Currently I'm using skype or my cell phone recorded in it's own track for the co-host's vocal track, but I've heard methods that are night and day better than this, yet I frustratingly can't get any of them to work.

This Reaper Ninjam thing seems to be the holy grail but it's honestly pretty difficult to get a handle on from a newbie's perspective.

Last edited by Chris4943; 11-13-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Chris4943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
Chris4943

Wow, I’m getting startlingly close with the jamTaba software, except that something appears to be wrong with the install. I can’t find it as a vst plugin in Reaper, and the standalone app’s preference pane is completely missing any type of ability to pick input/output devices, which I know should be there from pics on the developer’s website. Also, every time I open the stand alone app it warns me that I need to go to their website to download the newest version, but when I follow the link it takes me right back to the page where I downloaded it at. I even said screw it and downloaded it again and ran that, but it still prompts me the same way in some kind of star trek like temporal anomaly death spiral. This is so much fun.
Old 11-14-2015, 02:13 AM   #5
pljones

Sounds like you found several bugs in JamTaba -- it would be good to post them so they can get them fixed (they're actively working on it).

The client in Reaper is pretty much what you've got with the VST client in JamTaba: stick it on your master bus, connect to a server, done. Further details are in the sticky at the top.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=12578
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...4&postcount=45
pljones is offline   Reply With Quote