Old 11-01-2015, 01:50 AM   #1
airon
Human being with feelings

Default Automation Trim

I do a lot of gain rides with motorized, touch-sensitive faders.

It is often an iterative process, especially when mixing dialogue. Reaper could make this easier by introducing :

Trim
Option per track or global override option.

The user activates this as an additional option for any of the automation writing modes, for selected tracks or as a global override, like automation modes. This would only work for Touch, Latch and Write.

All controls now operate in a relative manner. Volume has a reference of 0 db, and pan has the center and 0-width. Not sure how to handle this for anything but Reapers own effects when non-relative controls are used. Perhaps soft-take over only for control input that is defined to be absolute ?

Volume faders jump to 0 db. All control surface controls jump to their reference value. Think of them as a localised, temporary VCA without the setup required.

Benefits
Iterative mixing if and when the user requires it. The user would not have to retrace any complex envelopes, except to start fresh. The global override in particular would make this easy to switch this behaviour on and off quickly.

In Latch mode, this could make relative EQ changes much easier. A Match Out command , which is a manual "nothing is touched any longer" command might come in handy too, since Latch mode is more useful for people without touch-sensitive knobs(i.e. almost everyone). Currently I am using a custom action to do this, which switches on Global Override READ on and off.

Thanks for any help you can offer in this regard.

Last edited by airon; 11-01-2015 at 01:55 AM.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote