Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 07-13-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
gilltunnel
Human being with feelings

Default Does not: play, record, or detect sound signal

First, playing:

When I import a sound file into Reaper, it will show up in a track (it looks normal). When I hit the play button, the vertical line which would normally move towards the right as the song plays gets highlighted but it does not move. So i am unable to get Reaper to play anything.

Now, recording/detecting a signal:

I have another program (the M-audio ProFire control panel) which has a monitor bar (a bar that moves up when it detects sound and down when it does not). This monitor bar detects sound from my microphone, so the sound is entering my computer, it is just not entering Reaper.
When I insert a track in reaper and hit arm, I set the input to my audio device (M-audio profire 610) but there is no signal (the monitor bar does not move at all). Even if I try every other possible option in the fly down menu in track 1 for inputs, none work.
When I hit record anyway, the same vertical line that I talked about earlier, which I would expect to move from left to right, does not move.
Any suggestions on what I should do ? any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
gilltunnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:54 PM   #2
bradleyfilms

Could you post more info please? Type of computer, OS version, Reaper version.
Cheers Steve
Old 07-14-2009, 04:56 PM   #3
moliere

That behaviour generally comes down to the incorrect audio driver selected in Reaper. Please check what driver you have set. Is it ASIO, and if so are any other pieces of software trying to use it at the same time?
moliere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:02 AM   #4
gilltunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by moliere View Post
That behaviour generally comes down to the incorrect audio driver selected in Reaper. Please check what driver you have set. Is it ASIO, and if so are any other pieces of software trying to use it at the same time?
Yes, I have ASIO set as the driver. I don’t think there are other pieces of software trying to use it at the same time. If I have all other programs closed, the problem still persists, if that is what you mean.
Old 07-16-2009, 12:48 AM   #5
bradleyfilms

Does play work with your profire unplugged and ASIO going to your internal card? I've come across no sound before, but not a stationary playhead.
The other thing to try is, make a copy of the Reaper folder in Documents and Settings>User>Application Data, and restart Reaper with factory defaults in Start>all programs>REAPER.
Your setup is very similar to mine except Reaper works here.
Sorry I'm not much help, Steve
Old 07-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
rusty377

I have similar problem - but with 2 different systems, 1 Ubuntu Linux on an HP1410n and with XP on an Aspire One laptop. Reaper version 2 worked fine on the XP laptop so I decided to install 3.05 on my Ubuntu linux system and it did not work. In the mean time 3.x came out and I reinstalled on the XP machine- neither one works with version 3.05! They are entirely separate systems. If I click on one of the mp3 files in the 2.o demo it plays thru another player- but not a peep out of Reaper. Any suggestions? This may drive me crazy... tried using microsoft mapper as device choice but no difference.

Thanks and cheers,

Rusty
rusty377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:01 AM   #7
gilltunnel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyfilms View Post
Could you post more info please? Type of computer, OS version, Reaper version.
Cheers Steve
Type of computer: laptop Dell Inspiron 1501
Operating system: Windows XP home edition, version: 5.1.2600, service pack 3
Reaper v3.05
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55, version: x86 Family 15 Model 104 stepping 1
2GB ram
Old 07-17-2009, 02:55 AM   #8
JP Ziller

I have an identical problem. I have 15 years experience with DAWs (Logic, Reason, Fruity Loops etc.) and so I know how to set things up, configure the program for my audio / MIDI interface etc, route signals, set up FX chains and so on.

Anyway, I installed Reaper, set up a test track, imported a sample and pressed space... the play marker remains frozen, though the play button stays down and Reaper claims to be "playing". When I press space again, the play button stops, as you'd expect.

Similarly, I can't record in, nor does Reaper appear to recognise any MIDI data when I try to play a virtual instrument I set up. (I tested the MIDI device afterwards on Logic and it works fine).

I'm using a Core 2 Duo processor, 1GB RAM, the latest version of Reaper (I downloaded it yesterday), Windows XP home, ServicePack 3, M-Audio Audiophile 192 soundcard.
JP Ziller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:35 AM   #9
gofer
-blänk-

I just thought I get the same all of a sudden...

Turned out that I had pre-roll activated for playback and was hitting play at measure one. Result: Playback button was lit and the counter was running (counting negative numbers, but I didn't pay attention), but the play cursor wouldn't move and of course no sound.

Not saying this is what you're experiencing, but it is all so similar to the problem described, that I thought I mention it here.

It would be really good if pre-roll was deactivated when starting at measure one. Or maybe an indicator in the transport saying that pre-roll is active.
gofer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:41 AM   #10
JP Ziller

Cheers- I'll have a look when I'm next in the studio. However, I wasn't starting at measure one - I'd selected a section to play. We'll see, though...
Old 07-20-2009, 03:26 AM   #11
JP Ziller

You know what? I had an exhaustive look through every setting, and I noticed that it had defaulted to the wrong ASIO driver (I have a couple on my machine).

I changed this and the problem is now solved

Working perfectly now, and very well indeed... great program!
Old 03-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #12
WMB

Default NO play at first

Hi guys. Reaper v3.31 Installed. Everything looked fine.

But..... NO play when hitting the playbutton no playback cursr/no scrolling -timeline either.

Solution:
> Options>Preferences>Audio>Device ..switch 'Audio System' to: ASIO. >>NB in my case I 'm using a M-Audio Delta card.<<

Works!!!!
WMB is offline   Reply With Quote