Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-27-2017, 09:39 AM   #1
Am123
Human being with feelings

Default Is it possible to record multiple takes of parameter envelopes alongside audio takes?

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out if it's possible to record multiple takes of a single parameter envelope in the same way you would audio items. Any ideas?

More detail:

I want to record a guitar solo over a 16 bar time selection. I have looping set to on so I can crank through a few takes and see if I get something cool.

Now if I'm using Amplitube or similar, I can add a wah pedal within that FX on the guitar track (but it could just as easily be a volume pedal, stomp box or any other parameter controller). I have a physical pedal board that I can use to control that wah via reaper/midi (basically an expression pedal), and manipulating the physical pedal makes the track parameter in reaper change so it will be stored when I'm manipulating the pedal during recording. So far so rock 'n roll.

So I start tracking. I've got the wah pedal going and the data is being fed into the parameter envelope, and the raw guitar signal is being recorded on the track. But I reach the end of the time selection and loop back to the beginning. At this point the audio track starts a new take - great.

Unfortunately, when I start wailing away on the wah pedal again, this simply overwrites the envelope points that were written during the previous take.
At the end of the recording process I then have a bunch of audio takes, but only one envelope for the parameter - the most recently recorded take.

I suspect I'm missing something obvious. Thanks very much for your help
Am123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
ashcat_lt

The simple answer is no, but there are some alternatives.

The simplest answer is to just not loop record. Take whatever you're looping over and loop that across the timeline for like an hour. Hit record. Play til you're sick of it.

The other option would be to not write automation but actually record the MIDI from the controller. That would require a second track, but then in loop record you'll have correspond takes on both tracks. Frankly, MIDI items are a lot easier to work with than automation lanes ATM anyway.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
Am123

Thanks. That second method is a good way to do it.
Am123 is offline   Reply With Quote