Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 01-16-2014, 02:41 PM   #1
Mudchild
Human being with feelings

Default Using different audio devices for inputs and outputs....

Hello folks

Can someone clarify how to use simultaneous different devices for input and output on the Mac? I have one of those USB guitar jacks on the way in, but it has no output capabilities, so wanted to use onboard sound on the iMac for output...

Advice appreciated.
Mudchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #2
serr

You make an aggregate device with the Audio MIDI Setup utility app (OSX) or ASIO4ALL (Windows). This lets you select multiple interfaces you have connected (including built-in input and output) and "bundle" them together into one.

You then select this aggregate device you created (and you can make more than one configuration) as the device in Reaper in Preferences/Audio/Device instead of one of the single devices. Now you will see the inputs and outputs of all devices in the aggregate available in Reaper.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #3
ambient

Is there anyway to do this in windows? I have a guitar pedal that I sometimes use amp sims from. It can also be connected with usb as an interface.

I'd like to be able to select its inputs but still monitor through my 2i2.
ambient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
Mudchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
You make an aggregate device with the Audio MIDI Setup utility app (OSX) or ASIO4ALL (Windows). This lets you select multiple interfaces you have connected (including built-in input and output) and "bundle" them together into one.

You then select this aggregate device you created (and you can make more than one configuration) as the device in Reaper in Preferences/Audio/Device instead of one of the single devices. Now you will see the inputs and outputs of all devices in the aggregate available in Reaper.
OK got it - thanks!
Old 02-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
Mudchild

Just to follow this one up - I was able to do this no problem, setting up a USB guitar-in jack lead as an aggregate along with the built in iMac output. However, 2 things:

1) It seems that more or less every time I get the lead out and plug it in, I have to set up a new Aggregate Device, as the existing once I set up no longer works. Inspecting it in the Audio MIDI setup utility, the USB lead component of the Aggregate appears greyed out. I have to start from scratch. Any clues as to why?

2) High latency on the guitar lead, even when I change the block size to a low setting in Reaper. Might I be missing something?

Unfortunately the machines I'm doing this on are in a school where I don't have ready access to them... but if anyone has any clues on the above...?

Thanks
Old 02-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudchild View Post
Just to follow this one up - I was able to do this no problem, setting up a USB guitar-in jack lead as an aggregate along with the built in iMac output. However, 2 things:

1) It seems that more or less every time I get the lead out and plug it in, I have to set up a new Aggregate Device, as the existing once I set up no longer works. Inspecting it in the Audio MIDI setup utility, the USB lead component of the Aggregate appears greyed out. I have to start from scratch. Any clues as to why?

2) High latency on the guitar lead, even when I change the block size to a low setting in Reaper. Might I be missing something?

Unfortunately the machines I'm doing this on are in a school where I don't have ready access to them... but if anyone has any clues on the above...?

Thanks
Sounds like that USB guitar interface is being a piece of work...

For #1, it must generate a random new ID every time it's plugged in. So OSX remembers it with the ID it used last time but it appears as a new device every time you plug it in. The driver must be very crude.

For #2, it sounds like said USB interface has a very high latency at it's hardware level. Meaning that it has a very high minimum latency that you will not be able to overcome with software commands.

Basically if you want to use that crude device, you can but you need to work around it's shortcomings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Is there anyway to do this in windows? I have a guitar pedal that I sometimes use amp sims from. It can also be connected with usb as an interface.

I'd like to be able to select its inputs but still monitor through my 2i2.
Same procedure. I believe the Windows utility is ASIO4ALL.
serr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:24 PM   #7
koppinjo

Default Works like a charm

Just wanted to thank serr for the reference to ASIO4ALL.

I am using a TASCAM US-1800 to record, and some monitors hooked up to my computer for playback, and the two pieces of equipment are on opposite sides of the room. The ASIO4ALL let me enable both devices, one for input, one for output and there is little latency (i.e. I know there is some latency from a technical perspective, but I can't hear it). My machine is pretty beefy too, so I'm sure that helps.

Thanks again, worked like a charm and was super easy.

(I am in no way affiliated with any of the products mentioned above, just very excited that somebody had an easy solution to my problem )
koppinjo is offline   Reply With Quote