Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 02-15-2017, 07:19 PM   #1
deepdjdanny
Human being with feelings

Default Help; OSX Dock, Reaper icon DISAPPEARS, Changes to ? placeholder, deepdjdanny

Help; OSX Dock, the Reaper application icon DISAPPEARS, with the setting affirmatively to 'Keep in Dock'... sometime after exiting from Reaper, perhaps after a reboot, the Reaper Dock Icon has Changed to '?' icon as a placeholder, deepdjdanny

Does anyone have a fix so that the Reaper App Icon doesn't disappear and doesn't change to a '?' icon in the OSX Dock?
The 'Keep In Dock' doesn't Keep it maintained there in the dock.
I'm thinking that the Reaper application isn't convincing the OSX environment that Reaper is a OSX native application, or, OSX is ever changing it's definition for a native application...
deepdjdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:27 AM   #2
337is

I don't have a solution to this, but am chiming in to say I'm having the same issue. I've gone as far as clean reinstalling Sierra and installing Reaper first to see if there was something weird in my preferences. There's not. A fresh install suffers from the same issue you describe.
337is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:43 AM   #3
serr

You guys didn't accidentally drag it into the dock from the INSTALLER IMAGE WINDOW instead of your APPLICATIONS FOLDER (after installing it) did you?

Because that would do that.
Any running app appears in the dock while running even if it isn't pinned there.

Aside:
I'm not sure why I put Reaper in my dock because I always just double-click on the .rpp file I want to open. Someone still does this the long way?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #4
deepdjdanny

To serr: Nah, I did not accidentally or deliberately for that matter

Its always most definitely from my sub-directory of OSX's applications folder.
Why do say 'Always'... because Umm... I got like over 20 or so Reaper64.app apps sitting in there for testing purposes... and just in case the latest version gets broken.

and this serr: 'Someone still does this the longway...'
I typically always work on the last project I was working on, and then when finished (coz I work to get the f**ker finished); then create another new project, or save out the last project (perhaps emptied of its recorded stuff or as just a basic template) as a Different Project filename and in a successive chronological directory...
I have set reaper preferences to load a last worked on project.
I have quadzillions projects... i only navigate finder-wise as a last resort, and only if i want to find and load an older project.
My method, for me, is much quicker... it isn't an 'older way', for me: it is the better way

...cause this sux: open finder, wait for finder to open, side bar, music directory, navigate, click, navigate, click, navigate click, navigate click, repeat, repeat, repeat, ... Ah-huh! there's that bastard project...
SO... Just click on the docked Reaper icon and it's done already: Tuh-DA!

I filename; chronologically (year.month.day,Time) as a prefix in the filename followed by the typical pertinent info...
eg. '2017.02.23,Friday,2pm,ReaperProject5.34,ThatCrapp yBeginnerTeenRockGuitaristWhoCan'tPlayOrSing,2017. 02.24,Saturday,MyRemuxxings,GuitarConvertedToLoops &VoxNowPerfectlyTuned,TropicallyHoused,1990'sVoxLo xSaxo.rpp'
I'm all-for any better way... old or new
Perhaps I'll start using the 'Projects List' as a tab in the Reaper's Dock Window...
I've Just Now Deleted all the Older than Reaper64 v5.34 apps instances.
blah blah blah... hope this helps.

Last edited by deepdjdanny; 02-24-2017 at 05:29 PM.
deepdjdanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:04 PM   #5
grayter1

Also chiming in. I've had this behavior as well. I now have to keep the Reaper shortcut icon on my desktop, because it won't stay (or work) in the dock.

tg
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post

Aside:
I'm not sure why I put Reaper in my dock because I always just double-click on the .rpp file I want to open. Someone still does this the long way?
you never start a new project?
Old 02-25-2017, 02:22 AM   #7
o_e

Just want to report that it works under OS X 10.9.5 aka 'Mavericks', latest stable Reaper..
o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 06:04 AM   #8
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
you never start a new project?
I use templates to start new projects. I get impatient if I have to redo work or take extra steps.

Last edited by serr; 02-25-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 02-25-2017, 06:18 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepdjdanny View Post
To serr: Nah, I did not accidentally or deliberately for that matter

Its always most definitely from my sub-directory of OSX's applications folder.
Why do say 'Always'... because Umm... I got like over 20 or so Reaper64.app apps sitting in there for testing purposes... and just in case the latest version gets broken.
20 or so!?
Which one(s) have you pinned to the dock? Did you give them unique names? This wasn't a case of running a version other than the one of the ones you have pinned to the dock? Do you have all 20 in the dock?

It's got to be fallout from that.
I think you're just going to have to work a system like that manually if it's critical to your workflow. If it's critical to keep that many unique builds live, maybe it's time to look into writing an Applescript to manage that and give you back dock functionality.

Quote:
...cause this sux: open finder, wait for finder to open,
Something's wrong. A Finder window opens instantly unless something is royally crashed!

Quote:
side bar, music directory, navigate, click, navigate, click, navigate click, navigate click, repeat, repeat, repeat, ... Ah-huh! there's that bastard project...
SO... Just click on the docked Reaper icon and it's done already: Tuh-DA!
Well, get your sidebar shortcuts in order then man!

Hey, I really don't mean to give you a hard time!
Forgive me if it comes across that way but these are my genuine responses to that.

You're going to have to customize the OS a bit for your unique workflow.

The Finder window opening slowly raises an eyebrow! I'd investigate the system based on that.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:56 AM   #10
dodobirds

Did anybody figure this out? I just set up a new computer with Sierra and this behavior is really freaking me out
dodobirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #11
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodobirds View Post
Did anybody figure this out? I just set up a new computer with Sierra and this behavior is really freaking me out
Which behavior?

Accidentally dragging Reaper from the disc image installer volume to the dock instead of from your Applications folder? (Operator error #1)

Or running 20 versions of Reaper all with the same name so that you can't associate documents created by them with them with the stock OS feature anymore? (Operator error #2)
Old 04-17-2017, 11:44 AM   #12
dodobirds

Quote:
Which behavior?

Accidentally dragging Reaper from the disc image installer volume to the dock instead of from your Applications folder? (Operator error #1)

Or running 20 versions of Reaper all with the same name so that you can't associate documents created by them with them with the stock OS feature anymore? (Operator error #2)
Ooopsss..apologies I forgot to specify.
I meant if anyone has been able to understand why the Reaper icon keeps turning into a question mark on the dock? I usually keep all the major apps I use in the dock for easy access but for some reason Reaper refuses to stay put

I've made sure to install it properly (by dragging to the apps folder) and I also only have one single instance of reaper installed.

Thanks!
Old 04-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #13
EpicSounds

this is happening on my macbook too
Old 04-17-2017, 02:13 PM   #14
Robert Randolph

Not happening here, and I have 7 Reaper portable installs on this system, with 3 in the dock.
Robert Randolph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:20 PM   #15
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodobirds View Post
Ooopsss..apologies I forgot to specify.
I meant if anyone has been able to understand why the Reaper icon keeps turning into a question mark on the dock? I usually keep all the major apps I use in the dock for easy access but for some reason Reaper refuses to stay put

I've made sure to install it properly (by dragging to the apps folder) and I also only have one single instance of reaper installed.

Thanks!
Can you state unequivocally that you dragged the Reaper icon from your Applications folder to the dock after you installed it and not from the installer volume window?
Old 04-18-2017, 03:39 AM   #16
dodobirds

Quote:
Can you state unequivocally that you dragged the Reaper icon from your Applications folder to the dock after you installed it and not from the installer volume window?
Yes, definitely! Actually, now that I think of it, first I dragged the icon from the installer window to the applications folder. Then as soon as I launched Reaper (by clicking on the icon in the applications folder) I right-clicked on the Reaper icon and selected "keep in dock".
Old 04-20-2017, 11:53 PM   #17
oldbrownhat

Aha! It looks like I'm not the only person having this problem, then! I have to launch Reaper from the Applications folder, as "Keep in Dock" doesn't work- I just get the "?" place holder. Behaves normally on my iMac under El Capitan, but not my MacBook Air running Sierra.

Guess I can always put a shortut on the Desktop, but... why?

Old 05-14-2017, 02:05 PM   #18
cyrano

Have you tried dragging the REAPER icon from the applications folder into the dock instead of using "keep in dock"?
Old 07-02-2017, 12:13 PM   #19
tusitala

Hi, same behaviour here...

If i drag from the applications folder to the dock, then if i click on reaper's icon to launch it, another reaper icon pops up and starts the program...weird!

if use "keep in dock" here's what happens:

...upon closing the program the Icon keeps showing up as a question mark...

and i can't keep it there...because if i click on the question mark nothing happens...

does anyone knows why?

thanks!
tusitala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:18 PM   #20
serr

I just tried it on my install of 10.12 (Sierra). It just works. Stays in the dock after close that is.

Are you guys sure you aren't dragging the Reaper icon from the mounted disc image installer?
Old 07-02-2017, 12:41 PM   #21
tusitala

Quote:
I just tried it on my install of 10.12 (Sierra). It just works. Stays in the dock after close that is.

Are you guys sure you aren't dragging the Reaper icon from the mounted disc image installer?
of course...why would anyone drag the image from the installer???????
Old 07-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #22
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusitala View Post
of course...why would anyone drag the image from the installer???????
Because some people don't even really understand 'file system 101' I suppose. The scenario has literally come up before and when pointed out the OP said "Yeah, I did that. D'oh!"

Sorry I don't have any other theories. But I can give you the data point of: It didn't happen here on a clean install of 10.12 running on my late 2008 Macbook Pro.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:56 PM   #23
tusitala

thanks for your help anyway...

I didn't do a clean install of Sierra...i was on mavericks, then yosemite, then el cap, then sierra.

I'm trying to remember when this started, because i remember this wasn't the case some time ago...
Old 07-09-2017, 01:19 PM   #24
PlanesTrainsAnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tusitala View Post
If i drag from the applications folder to the dock, then if i click on reaper's icon to launch it, another reaper icon pops up and starts the program...weird!
Happening here too.
PlanesTrainsAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 05:17 PM   #25
cyrano

Try the following:

Remove question mark from Dock.

Run command in Terminal:

Code:
xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Reaper.app
Drag the REAPER icon back into the Dock.

Restart your Mac.
Old 07-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #26
tusitala

Thanks!
tried but no change at all unfortunately
Old 07-10-2017, 01:32 AM   #27
cyrano

Mmmm...

It's a bug in one of the newer security thingies. Like path randomization.

In my experience, it goes away after a clean OSX install. I only see it with upgraded system installs.

You could still try to run EtreCheck and post it's listing here. Maybe something odd carried over from some systems ago.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:27 AM   #28
PlanesTrainsAnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Mmmm...
In my experience, it goes away after a clean OSX install. I only see it with upgraded system installs.
I never once did a clean install in 3 Macs (going back to 2003!)
PlanesTrainsAnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2017, 11:33 AM   #29
serr

Two things have changed since then.
The installers make custom installs depending on the machine/hardware.
Apple doesn't seem to test compatibility with updating from old systems anymore.

The days of simply updating an OS install or cloning it from one machine to another willy-nilly are gone. And it's a shocking level of cheapness from the likes of Apple!

I believe this pattern started with 10.7.
Old 07-20-2017, 05:03 PM   #30
tusitala

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Mmmm...

It's a bug in one of the newer security thingies. Like path randomization.

You could still try to run EtreCheck and post it's listing here. Maybe something odd carried over from some systems ago.
Hi!
Since trying your suggestion, I noticed that when i turn on my computer i see the terminal app opening by itself...if i press the "up" arrow i see this message:

xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Reaper.app

why? is there anything i should do?
thanks
Old 07-20-2017, 05:43 PM   #31
cyrano

That's another known bug that has been around since Lion or so.

My Mac sometimes opens apps and windows too, even if the checkbox at shutdown isn't checked. But it only happens once in a blue moon, so I haven't had a look. And it's a complete mystery why some apps reopen and others never seem to have that problem.

That the command in Terminal comes back when you press the up arrow, is normal. It's your Bash history. A little help when you need repetitive commands and a memory aid when ypu get interrupted.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:14 AM   #32
Satchboogiemonster

Has anyone found a cause or solution to this problem?

I have a MacbookPro (2011), I have never had the problem on it so far.

MacPro (The last big one with 12 cores and 64G RAM before the black cylinder), and I have the problem on that machine. Taking the leap to High Sierra, so maybe the problem changes.
Satchboogiemonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 05:19 PM   #33
Joe Miller

Try this. Grab the latest Reaper installer and double click the DMG. Drag the Reaper64.app across to your Applications folder, and without doing anything else on the Mac, open Reaper. Once it is open right click on the Reaper dock icon and say keep in dock. After Reaper is closed, it should remain in the dock without a question mark, even after reboot.

This problem of the question mark is caused by a security feature in MacOS called randomization, where it relocates the true location of executable apps in the Applications folder each time they are run, to protect against certain types of malware. The trouble is that it adds an application dragged from a DMG to MacOS database of apps to randomize only on the very first run right after you first dragged the app from the DMG. If you do anything else after that first drag, it forgets about Reaper and you end up with a question mark.

So in a nutshell, you have to mount Reaper's installer DMG, drag the app to Applications, and before running anything else, open the new Reaper app straight away, otherwise it will not pick up and remember Reaper for your dock icon.
Joe Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:59 AM   #34
tusitala

Hi, thanks for your suggestion but it doesn't work unfortunately.
Just checked as it was working yesterday, but today I'm getting the "?" over Reaper's icon...
Old 02-21-2018, 07:51 AM   #35
thetaalpha970

Default Sorry to resurrect

This is happening to me as well. If anyone could point me to a working solution, I'm sure many here would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks for your time.
thetaalpha970 is offline   Reply With Quote