Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-18-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
bendermasteringstudio
Human being with feelings

Default Retina MacBook Pro, set Reaper at 50% size

Since Reaper is not retina ready I was wondering if there's anyway we can scale Reaper on Mac.

Apparently there was a way to do this with .plists and the option "AppleDisplayScaleFactor" but it isn't supported on newer versions of Mac OS X.

I'm getting tired of all the blurry text/graphics from Reaper. I've tried putting the rMBP at max resolution and it works great for Reaper when using large layouts but it is terribly small for everything else.

If there was a way to open Reaper at a smaller size - 50% - it would solve all the issues or, at least, it would be a good temporary fix while we wait for a true retina version of Reaper.

How are all you guys with Retina Macs handling this issue? Or is this just an issue to me?
Old 12-18-2015, 10:22 AM   #2
goldec

I don't see any graphical issues using reaper on my retina macbook pro. Everything seems to be as sharp as can be and the right size aswell.

https://i.imgur.com/yGAZdrj.jpg
goldec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:00 AM   #3
MMM

Please check that Reaper doesn't open in low resolution.
In applications folder highlight the reaper icon an press cmd + i or select menue > File > Information.
In the information window "Open in low resolution" should be unchecked.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2015-12-19 at 17.02.37.jpg (27.4 KB, 653 views)

Last edited by MMM; 12-19-2015 at 09:05 AM.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:27 AM   #4
bendermasteringstudio

Reaper isn't retina ready. Every single theme image looks pixelated/blurry because they weren't designed for high resolution displays. It's pretty obvious and it can be clearly seen, I don't understand how you guys aren't noticing it.

It's not an user issue.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:57 AM   #5
Futur8me

I've got a new 5k iMac and Reaper looks fine here.., have you gone into system preferences then into displays and click on scaled then gone through the larger txt or more spaces options???.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendermasteringstudio View Post
Reaper isn't retina ready. Every single theme image looks pixelated/blurry because they weren't designed for high resolution displays. It's pretty obvious and it can be clearly seen, I don't understand how you guys aren't noticing it.

It's not an user issue.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:10 AM   #6
luk

In preferences, under general tab there's a button for advanced UI/system tweaks. It allows you to scale UI elements.
luk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 11:26 AM   #7
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
I've got a new 5k iMac and Reaper looks fine here.., have you gone into system preferences then into displays and click on scaled then gone through the larger txt or more spaces options???.
I have to agree ... i am on a macbook 2015...
Altough it's not a deal breaker for me; Reaper rocks for me over all the other DAWs that look sharper.
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #8
concubicycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendermasteringstudio View Post

It's not an user issue.
Honestly, this. It's 2017, and Reaper is still very pixelated on my 2015 macbook pro. If you're happy with the way it looks, fine, but don't go "looks good to me, no problem here!"
concubicycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #9
DrKev

I have a 2012 15" retina MBP. High contrast stuff shows some pixelation (button text, track labels, circular knobs) but other than that I hardly ever notice unless I've just read one of these threads. And nothing is blurry, ever. So while I do see the issue, and hope it will get fixed before long (because it will need to) I'm another person who doesn't quite understand how upset people get about this. I can't help wondering if this issue somehow changes from user to user (though I would guess that it shouldn't).

Speaking of UI scaling, I don't see the use. If I use UI scaling to make things bigger, things get pixelated and blurry. Definitely not an improvement.