Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 01-01-2017, 04:24 AM   #1
Ivo Sedlacek
Human being with feelings

Default Will Reaper come with Touchbar support ?

I wonder if Reaper is coming to support its functions within the Touchbar on new Macbooks Pro. It would be really cool and useful
Ivo Sedlacek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 04:59 AM   #2
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivo Sedlacek View Post
I wonder if Reaper is coming to support its functions within the Touchbar on new Macbooks Pro. It would be really cool and useful
It's a waste of devs' time, IMHO.

Last edited by vitalker; 03-06-2017 at 08:09 AM.
vitalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 09:09 AM   #3
DrFrankencopter

It would be pretty straightforward for a 3rd party to develop an extension for Reaper that treated the touchbar as a control surface. I wouldn't want the main developers working on it though.....

Cheers

Kris
DrFrankencopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
willowhaus

"It would be really cool and useful" - I think that's the starting point right there. HOW would it be cool & useful? Devs would do it if it were something worthwhile.
willowhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
Justin
Administrator

It may happen eventually but we tend to be conservative about supporting new OS/platform specific things.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 05:59 PM   #6
Win Conway

Yeah this stinks of typical Apple "We tried it once"
Old 01-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #7
Ivo Sedlacek

Looks really great ... Maybe not so difficult to implement some Reaper features in this way or even to let the users to define what functions they would like to have on their touch bar in various situations ?

https://ask.audio/articles/5-ways-ap...music-software
Old 01-23-2017, 05:31 PM   #8
vanhaze

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Yeah this stinks of typical Apple "We tried it once"
Totally no clue 'bout what you mean by this, but i feel the need to say
that i'm glad they tried it once instead of never. ;0/
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2017, 11:33 PM   #9
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Totally no clue 'bout what you mean by this, ...
This means, that it is not unlikely that not enough devs will support the touch bar, so that the next Macbook generation will again come without the touch bar.

I ask myself, if some (potential) Reaper users might buy Logic (instead), if Reaper doesn't support the touch bar?

If I would have to buy an new Macbook Pro right now, I would choose the former generation, because I prefer thunderbolt/USB over USB-C only. Thankfully I already have it

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 06:11 AM   #10
cyrano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
If I would have to buy an new Macbook Pro right now, I would choose the former generation, because I prefer thunderbolt/USB over USB-C only. Thankfully I already have it
That is the point here. Apple is gambling on USB-C and the touchbar. But they need 3rd parties to make that work. And the general sentiment isn't very positive. Apple has lost 10% of the Mac marker already.

Bad timing to bring out an even more expensive machine. And where are the new MacMini's and the new MacPro's?

Lowering the price now is alienating the early buyers and admitting defeat. No way out for Tim...
Old 01-30-2017, 07:00 AM   #11
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
Lowering the price now is ...
... a reaction to the critic about the adapter costs, I guess.

Apple definitely needs better product management ... the loss of the headphone jack on the iPhone is the next major fauxpas!

Chris
Old 02-12-2017, 12:09 AM   #12
ProfSound

Default Touch Bar not useful

The touch bar is not useful! In order to touch the TB at the right spot you have to look at it - literally. There is no haptic feedback. If you miss the "button" and touch it at the wrong place: Big surprise. A track pad is more useful, don't need to take your eyes of the screen. Or a controller. Or a touch sensitive screen. But the TB for me is pretty useful.
ProfSound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 01:04 AM   #13
Ivo Sedlacek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfSound View Post
The touch bar is not useful! In order to touch the TB at the right spot you have to look at it
It concerns basically everything ? Even at the keyboard you have to look to touch it at the right spot ...

I find the touch bar quite useful in many ways and applications. Reaper support would be wonderful. Apart from many basic contextual functions, a small MIDI keyboard is great too ...
Old 02-12-2017, 01:04 AM   #14
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfSound View Post
Or a touch sensitive screen.
An iPad with Duet Display or Lemur and the Binder template is what I use. Especially Binder is very useful for controlling Reaper at a distance, e.g. for mic recordings.

Chris
Old 02-12-2017, 02:35 AM   #15
Ivo Sedlacek

Quote:
An iPad with Duet Display .
How do you manage iPad charging ? Duet display is great (I have connected iPad Pro to my PC studio computer), but iPad does not charge (even when connected to an active USB Hub).

For a remote control (recording) I use Reaper web control on iPhone, which works great. Is "Lemur and the Binder template" any better ?
Old 02-12-2017, 02:45 AM   #16
Aymara

Quote:
How do you manage iPad charging ?
I don't run so long Reaper sessions, that charging is needed. The problem is, that USB doesn't have enough power to charge an iPad ... only iPhone is possible.

Something like the iRig Power Bridge will be needed, but I don't know, if that supports a PC/Mac USB connection.

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpowerbridge/

PS: Check this out:

http://cdm.link/2016/03/tested-apple...e-usb-on-ipad/

Chris

Last edited by Aymara; 02-12-2017 at 02:53 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 02:58 AM   #17
Ivo Sedlacek

Quote:
I already checked it (also Belkin Y lightning to 2 lightning adapter) - none of these work with Duet Display ...

PS: this Lemur is meant as a kind of remote screen you can apply on iPad etc. ? I tried that AC-7 and AC-X and found rather useless

Last edited by Ivo Sedlacek; 02-12-2017 at 03:06 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 06:21 AM   #18
Aymara

Quote:
I already checked it (also Belkin Y lightning to 2 lightning adapter) - none of these work with Duet Display ...
Then contact Duett support. It should work, so it seems app related.

Quote:
this Lemur is meant as a kind of remote screen you can apply on iPad etc. ?
Lemur is more a MIDI / OSC engine, that can use different templates for different purposes, be it running a sequencer, control a synth wirelessly or control Reaper. To control Reaper, you need the template named Binder, which was developed by a member of the Reaper community.

http://zvukofor.blogspot.de/p/binder.html

Lemur / Binder work over WiFi, so you need a DAW machine, that has no issues running WiFi simultaniously with Reaper. Some PCs (especially Windows) have latency issues when running WiFi together with audio processing.

Chris
Old 02-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #19
Ivo Sedlacek

Quote:
Then contact Duett support. It should work, so it seems app related.
I did. They said they do not support adapters
Old 02-12-2017, 11:03 AM   #20
serr

Quote:
Maybe if we see an actual "pro" version of that Macbook Pro and see it's a serious feature that might stick around. Apple blurred the lines between the "Macbook" and the "Macbook Pro" and calls every laptop a MBP now. But these are the more budget machines with reduced connectivity, ram that can't be upgraded, glued in batteries, etc. Oh, and the expensive retina screen with no glass shield in front of it that makes for a $350 screen repair if you break it (instead of about $80 for a Macbook Pro)! Intentionally restricting features (like no access to target display mode) but then not even offering a new "pro" model with said feature along side it is just batty.

The USB C ports, no standard thunderbolt ports, and no magsafe power connection (?!?!?!?!) seems like Microsoft level fail IMHO.

Last edited by serr; 02-12-2017 at 11:40 AM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #21
Aymara

Quote:
They said they do not support adapters
I begin to hate this company. First they introduced a subscription model for full Apple Pencil support, which most apps have for free, and now this.

Chris
Old 02-12-2017, 01:45 PM   #22
Rangler

I bought the non-TB version. I would upgrade for haptic feedback, though.

Would be nice to see the global timeline for a track on the TB while you're working on it zoomed in.
Rangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:03 PM   #23
Kenny Gioia

IMHO - This should be on Apple to support applications by making it easy for you (the user) to customize it for every application you use.

I haven't used it yet but I can't imagine an easier program to integrate into this feature than REAPER.

Expecting all the applications to do the heavy lifting is asking for this feature to be a "remember when Apple did this" type of thing.

And yes. Apple has done this many times.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:33 PM   #24
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
IMHO - This should be on Apple to support applications by making it easy for you (the user) to customize it for every application you use.

I haven't used it yet but I can't imagine an easier program to integrate into this feature than REAPER.

Expecting all the applications to do the heavy lifting is asking for this feature to be a "remember when Apple did this" type of thing.

And yes. Apple has done this many times.
Haven't used it yet either.

If it was a preferences thing like that it would make obvious sense. You could assign any Reaper shortcut to it right here right now. Moving forward, an app installer could run a setup script for default assignments.

Is that not how it's working at present?
Old 02-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #25
Ivo Sedlacek

You cannot customise touch bar for an application which does not support it ... To control Reaper functions via touchbar - Reaper must make and design these functions ...

See also here: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/1393...-are-supported

Anyway, if Reaper can make touch bar support, it would be really great. It opens many interesting possibilities
Old 02-13-2017, 12:55 AM   #26
Ivo Sedlacek

Quote:
I begin to hate this company. First they introduced a subscription model for full Apple Pencil support, which most apps have for free, and now this.
I found another unpleasant issue with Duet Display - it it somehow unable to show any "roll out" submenu (plugin settings, list of sends etc.). You move it to the main screen - normally works, back to Duet display iPad - dead ...

I am afraid there is no other alternative for Duet Display ?
Old 02-13-2017, 10:17 AM   #27
serr

Quote:
You cannot customise touch bar for an application which does not support it ...
That seems like a pretty major faux pas there.

Apple needs to fix/finish that feature then. This has to be transparent to developers to be a feature. And I expect to be able to change it from the intended defaults to my own thing as a user.

Last edited by serr; 02-13-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 06:22 PM   #28
vdubreeze

I'm not really feeling it for the Touchbar, especially as it exists now. For a DAW if one already has a controller with a handful of faders and knobs assigned to tasks and buttons for function keys I don't see a benefit. And it's not as if a controller with assignable hardware is as niche as it was 10 years ago. You can hardly buy a cheap midi keyboard controller without a bunch of them, and if you want them you can have banks of them. I have enough trouble coordinating my controller/querty/screen coordination that a fourth location to have to divert focus to every five minutes isn't all that enticing, no matter what its theoretical potential is.

I'm just too set in my ways no doubt, but for me it's a solution in search of a problem. Based on my limited dicking around with it I'd probably leave it as function keys 95% of the time. What are some real world examples of why it would be great for Reaper?
Old 02-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #29
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
What are some real world examples of why it would be great for Reaper?
There would be a scribble strip element to it and that would look cool.

But I can't come up with anything more serious beyond that. Now that I think about it it seems like a glitzy thing that would be fine I guess as long as it didn't get in the way in general.

If I really can't reprogram it in system preferences, well that's no fun at all.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:07 PM   #30
vdubreeze

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
But I can't come up with anything more serious beyond that. Now that I think about it it seems like a glitzy thing that would be fine I guess as long as it didn't get in the way in general.

If I really can't reprogram it in system preferences, well that's no fun at all.
If it didn't contribute so much to those models' excessive price I'd be more likely to have it, especially given how it depends on how the software maker utilizes it. But I sure ain't going to pay the couple of hundred for it.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:03 PM   #31
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowhaus View Post
"It would be really cool and useful" - I think that's the starting point right there. HOW would it be cool & useful? Devs would do it if it were something worthwhile.
It would be cool and useful to have the transport bar functions on the touchbar because:

* Free up screen real estate for the track panel and mixer. Important on laptops.
* It would prevent having to interact with the mouse pad.
* They are visually the same thing (a bar) so key combos for transport bar functions are no longer needed.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 02:53 AM   #32
shakespeare

pretty sure apple will come up with a new magic keyboard + touchbar
shakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 04:59 PM   #33
Guy Samtho

Quote:
This means, that it is not unlikely that not enough devs will support the touch bar, so that the next Macbook generation will again come without the touch bar.

I ask myself, if some (potential) Reaper users might buy Logic (instead), if Reaper doesn't support the touch bar?

Let's be realistic, they won't drop the bar because of VST devs not supporting. Do you even know how much of MBP users are music producers/engineers? I would say less than 25% on a good day. For Apple as long as the graphic designers like it (Adobe is making good use of it) and the prosumer people find it cool to swipe the volume/screen light up and down, they will keep it.

Regarding Reaper I do think there are much bigger priorities for the DAW (and as Justin said, that should be crossplatform). The DAW expected to have awesome integration with the touchbar will always be Logic, developed by the same people developing the hardware
Guy Samtho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:09 PM   #34
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Samtho View Post
Let's be realistic, they won't drop the bar because of VST devs not supporting.
Sorry, I didn't talk of music devs, but devs in general. Apple even doesn't want the bar to be supported by games for example.

The success of the touchbar is dependent on how many software will support it in general, not specific software.

And this concept is a huge design flaw ... the OS needs to support it and deliver the option to support any software ... not easy, I know.

Quote:
For Apple as long as the graphic designers like it...
In my opinion real pros, including photographers and graphic designers, are no longer a target group of Apple. And Macs will die in the long run, if Apple doesn't improve enterprise use ... and there's only one department in enterprises being interested in a Windows alternative for desktops and notebooks, Marketing Department.

Look at smartphones ... here Apple is market leader in the enterprise field, because iOS is supported by any Mobile Device Management solution and because their devices are currently the most secure ones ... Android is a security disaster and Windows doesn't play a role at all.

Chris

Last edited by Aymara; 03-06-2017 at 11:16 PM.