Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-10-2017, 08:03 AM   #121
rustonium
Human being with feelings

Hi, first post here. I would like to chime in on this issue.

After 10+ years of using Pro Tools as my primary DAW, I'm thinking about switching to REAPER. So I'm in the process of putting REAPER through its paces.

The single thing holding me back from switching right now is exactly the issue described in this thread by Robert Johnson. My machine is an upgraded MacPro5,1 from Create.Pro with the following config:

- CPU: Intel Xeon X5690 6-core 3.46 GHz
- GPU: AMD Radeon RX 480
- RAM: 32 GB
- SSD drive
- macOS Sierra
- 4K Display

I would suggest this would be more than enough to run REAPER smoothly. But this is not the case, please take a look at this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra1CXhXDhWE
(REAPER macOS Sierra 4K - lag)

Now compare to REAPER in Windows 10 - on the same machine - which runs absolutely smooth:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNGnGJZf9mU
(REAPER Windows 10 4K - No GUI lag)

Let me clarify: It is not the un-smoothness I have a problem with. It's the fact that the time selection doesn't follow the movements of the mouse - instead it lags behind. I'm used to editing very fast, and the lag makes editing unpleasant.

Now, where the problem gets real to me is when the lag makes time selecting imprecise. When doing a fast time selection, the time selection sometimes doesn't reach to where the mouse has stopped:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsVlHm05nns
(REAPER macOS Sierra 4K - lag makes time selection imprecise)

Please note, that this isn't just theoretical. I have experienced the implication of this issue when doing real editing work in REAPER.

In Pro Tools 12, on the same machine and macOS, time selecting has no lag. Track resizing does however lag - but that doesn't affect editing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOSmsd85pTc
(Pro Tools macOS Sierra 4K - only lag in track resizing)

Some things I have tried to resolve the issue:
- Also tried with a clean Yosemite install - issue is the same.
- Actually I also purchased an Nvidia GTX 950 GPU (because I read somewhere that Nvidia GPU's might be better for GUI responsiveness than AMD). Issue still the same, no change.

I'm only writing this in the hope that it might help the team to sort out the issue - 'cause otherwise I'm really diggin' REAPER!

All the best
rustonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 08:56 AM   #122
Robert Johnson III

Very useful additional info! And very well documented. Thanks for this post Rustorium.

https://soundcloud.com/mytopia
Robert Johnson III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #123
serr

Is it a bad sign that I suspect the bug to be in Sierra as opposed to Reaper?

The Sierra installer actually has an embarrassing bug too!
A number of 2008 & 2009 machines with fully compatible hardware were missed on the install whitelist. You have to manually install. Someone already posted a workaround tool http://dosdude1.com/sierrapatch.html

Sorry for the digression but absolutely stay away from OSX 10.12 for audio work until the dust settles!
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:39 AM   #124
rustonium

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
Is it a bad sign that I suspect the bug to be in Sierra as opposed to Reaper?
I also suspected that, which is why I did a clean Yosemite install. The REAPER lag was exactly the same.
rustonium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:49 AM   #125
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustonium View Post
I also suspected that, which is why I did a clean Yosemite install. The REAPER lag was exactly the same.
Oh, well, um... so much for my theory then!
(The installer bug is real. Must have influenced my attitude or something.)

Maybe it's really Reaper just not interested in supporting graphics for the newer 4k and up displays? But the Windows version works on the same hardware?! Yeah OK, looking back at Reaper then. Something slipped by on the OSX version?
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:16 AM   #126
Judders

Could it be that OSX is just more laggy when it comes to drawing frames?

A quick search on gaming sites suggests that games run at significantly more frames per second on a Windows partition than on an OSX partition on the same machine.

Some of the search results were as old as 2010, but maybe someone who knows more about gaming could clarify?

I guess Logic and Pro Tools have back channels to Apple to sort these kinds of issues out? [EDIT: Well, obviously Apple own Logic, but the Logic boards were aflame with complaints about laggy playheads on Retina displays when LPX came out, or when Retina first hit the shelves... I forget which, but laggy playhead was the number one issue on Logic forums for a while there.]

Last edited by Judders; 03-10-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:37 AM   #127
Futur8me

Yes the fact is that running Reaper on any macOS is crap compared to windows on the same Mac hardware.., not fun at all really.., Logic pro x runs smooth on macOS so why can't Reaper..?, so we are still waiting for Justin to come up with fixes as he said he was looking into it.

Old 03-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #128
jerome_oneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judders View Post
Could it be that OSX is just more laggy when it comes to drawing frames?
Turning off all the UI glitz and deleting any unused network interfaces made a huge difference for me.

https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-...-Mac-for-Audio

Doing those things probably added another year or so to the lifespan of my already aged mini. And I kind of prefer the flattened UI, anyway.
jerome_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:50 AM   #129
Futur8me

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post
Turning off all the UI glitz and deleting any unused network interfaces made a huge difference for me.

Doing those things probably added another year or so to the lifespan of my already aged mini. And I kind of prefer the flattened UI, anyway.

I have done all this and tried 50 million other suggestions and it does not fix Reapers performance lag and glitchy behaviour on macOS at all.

Old 03-10-2017, 12:50 PM   #130
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
Yes the fact is that running Reaper on any macOS is crap compared to windows on the same Mac hardware.., not fun at all really.., Logic pro x runs smooth on macOS so why can't Reaper..?, so we are still waiting for Justin to come up with fixes as he said he was looking into it.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves. A good number of Logic X users are having far worse problems with GUI lag than any REAPER users. This has been going on for nearly 4 years, since the release of Logic X, and of course you get zero communication from the Logic developers. When Logic X was first released, some users were reporting up to 13 seconds of lag.

https://www.google.co.uk/?client=saf...ro+x+gui+lag&*

Justin is not only trying to fix this, he is talking to us directly, in person, about fixing this. That is something you will never get with Apple.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:52 PM   #131
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome_oneil View Post

Great advice about deleting unused network connections, I hadn't heard that before.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:20 PM   #132
vanhaze

Quote:
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. A good number of Logic X users are having far worse problems with GUI lag than any REAPER users. This has been going on for nearly 4 years, since the release of Logic X, and of course you get zero communication from the Logic developers. When Logic X was first released, some users were reporting up to 13 seconds of lag.

https://www.google.co.uk/?client=saf...ro+x+gui+lag&*

Justin is not only trying to fix this, he is talking to us directly, in person, about fixing this. That is something you will never get with Apple.
- Switch Screensets in Logic Pro.
- Switch Screensets in Reaper.

Outcome:
Logic Pro has way more lag in switching Screensets than Reaper.
Utterly weird but "happily" true.

OSX 10.12.3
- Latest Reaper version - 64bit
- Latest Logic Pro version
Old 03-10-2017, 03:28 PM   #133
Robert Johnson III

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
- Switch Screensets in Logic Pro.
- Switch Screensets in Reaper.

Outcome:
Logic Pro has way more lag in switching Screensets than Reaper.
Utterly weird but "happily" true.

OSX 10.12.3
- Latest Reaper version - 64bit
- Latest Logic Pro version
Open Logic in low resolution…. Problem solved. Low resolution is (still) the (more or less) default for REAPER.

Old 03-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #134
WorldofNoise

I'm not sure how Justin can say Windows will always out perform OS X with graphics, when other applications (like Cubase and Pro Tools) are cross platform and totally fine. I'm not experiencing the issues that are described here, but I can attest to Windows being a bit snappier in general. The kind of "hands in the air, I don't know what to tell ya" vibe of his answer kind of bothers me. I could totally understand this being a limitation of their insanely small work force, though. This has to be A LOT to take on for any coding team, let alone one that small. I think this type of issue and the constant "ugly" issue is a really good reason to get someone solely dedicated to UI for developing.
WorldofNoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 12:58 AM   #135
Tonehenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Johnson III View Post
Thanks again for taking the time to test this Andy!

In defence of REAPER… Other daws also struggle with GUI lag (notably Logic X). I hope something can be done, but I’m afraid that MacOSX (Capitan/Sierra) possibly could have some "Funny Retina Problems" that Apple needs to solve… Apple probably has other priorities (some Daws could be in dire need of a future upgrade to be more compatible if things do not change).

And of course it also depends on the users tolerance for a sluggish GUI.

Contemplating switching to Windows though…

Cheers,

Robert
Talk to Ben over at Harrison... They have a helluva time with Ardour and Mac OS and plugins that use the same graphics drawing thread as Ardour. Maybe it's time for me to build another PC...
Old 03-14-2017, 02:09 AM   #136
vanhaze

Quote:
Open Logic in low resolution…. Problem solved. Low resolution is (still) the (more or less) default for REAPER.
Thanks for your help !
Indeed, now Screensets in Logic open abit faster, just as fast as in Reaper i would say.(for me that is).

Logic Pro X 10.3.1
Reaper 5.40pre11b (64bit)
OSX 10.12.3
Macbook Retina 2015.
Old 03-14-2017, 03:41 AM   #137
Futur8me

I've just seen that the 6th beta for 10.12.4 has just been released by apple with this nightshift screen feature.., maybe there will be an improvement with this horrible lag in macOS..?.. maybe not.. so 10.12.4 is not to far away from release, and yes if this lag is not fixed then i am seriously thinking of going windows.

Old 03-14-2017, 07:35 AM   #138
andyp24

Is it worth istalling BootCamp on a retina iMac to run Reaper under Windows, then? Or would I just run into a whole load of other problems? (Never used a dual boot Mac before, I have a separate Windows 10 laptop)

Andy
andyp24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #139
goldec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futur8me View Post
I've just seen that the 6th beta for 10.12.4 has just been released by apple with this nightshift screen feature.., maybe there will be an improvement with this horrible lag in macOS..?.. maybe not.. so 10.12.4 is not to far away from release, and yes if this lag is not fixed then i am seriously thinking of going windows.

The lag has been there for as long as I remember. It will not go anywhere.
goldec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:36 AM   #140
Futur8me

Sadly the newest Sierra update 10.12.4 has not fixed any of the lag.., I was trying to be an optimist.

Old 04-03-2017, 09:09 AM   #141
producer

Default No problem with my iMac

You can see my machine below.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x3xn79d3c...vNWvBxrpa?dl=0

However, Logic X is more efficient on my Mac, can run more plugins with lower cpu.
iMac 4.0 GHz, 32 GB, 1 Tera SSD, MacBook Retina 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, osx 10.12.4, Artist Mix & Control, RME cards + Octamix II, Genelec Monitors, Røde and SE mics, too many plugins. Gibson and Fender el guitars, Martin and Taylor acoustic guitars.
producer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:15 AM   #142
andyp24

The link you've given is to your Dropbox folder, so there are other documents in there you may not want everyone to see......
Old 04-04-2017, 07:29 AM   #143
Judders

Quote:
Originally Posted by producer View Post
However, Logic X is more efficient on my Mac, can run more plugins with lower cpu.
The exact same plugins?
Old 04-06-2017, 11:55 AM   #144
producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyp24 View Post
The link you've given is to your Dropbox folder, so there are other documents in there you may not want everyone to see......
Oh, thanks, nothing very secret
iMac 4.0 GHz, 32 GB, 1 Tera SSD, MacBook Retina 2.7 GHz, 16 GB, osx 10.12.4, Artist Mix & Control, RME cards + Octamix II, Genelec Monitors, Røde and SE mics, too many plugins. Gibson and Fender el guitars, Martin and Taylor acoustic guitars.
Old 04-06-2017, 01:09 PM   #145
producer

Quote:
The exact same plugins?
Yes, I have tested several times over the last years. Lcpx acually got much better approx 1/2 year ago as well
Old 04-07-2017, 03:17 AM   #146
andyp24

Quote:
Originally Posted by producer View Post
Oh, thanks, nothing very secret
OK, one of them looks like a Bank Statement to me, but it's up to you.... ;-)
Old 07-19-2017, 06:37 AM   #147
Robert Johnson III

Default Update Logic X (it is possible)

Improves responsiveness of the graphical user interface especially on Retina or other high resolution displays when doing the following:
Resizing windows and areas.
Dragging and trimming regions.
Opening and closing the Piano Roll editor.
Zooming and scrolling in large projects, especially those that contain a large number of flex edits or tempo events.
Stepping through tracks using the up/down arrow keys.
Adjusting parameters of multiple selected events in the Event List when the Step Editor is also open.
Selecting grouped tracks with Flex edits using a EuCon control surface.
Adjusting region borders.

Old 07-20-2017, 02:31 AM   #148
Futur8me

Yes i am glad you posted this as i am quite amazed at how smooth the Logic Pro gui is now.. resizing everything is butter smooth.. unlike Reaper, so please developers can you make the gui of REAPER smooth, the playhead and resizing of everything is extremely glitchy and laggy.

Quote:
Improves responsiveness of the graphical user interface especially on Retina or other high resolution displays when doing the following:
Resizing windows and areas.
Dragging and trimming regions.
Opening and closing the Piano Roll editor.
Zooming and scrolling in large projects, especially those that contain a large number of flex edits or tempo events.
Stepping through tracks using the up/down arrow keys.
Adjusting parameters of multiple selected events in the Event List when the Step Editor is also open.
Selecting grouped tracks with Flex edits using a EuCon control surface.
Adjusting region borders.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:13 AM   #149
weens

Default imac pro

Just seeing if there's any update on this issue.... I'm tearing my hair out and just about ready to throw my brand new 8 core imac pro off the roof of my apartment building XD. None of the bandaid solutions work well (color profile switching, changing resolution from retina to native, etc). From reading previous posts in this admittedly older thread, things have progressed a little, but it's still not great.

I've been a long time reaper user for many years on windows, and when the imac pros came out, I decided it was time to switch to mac (joke's on me). CPU usage is amazing (very low), however, the UI is faaaar from the buttery smooth performance like it is on windows. This is especially pronounced when zooming with the mouse, marquee selects, etc. The best analogy I could give is for those of you who game, it's kinda like playing a first person shooter at 20fps, when you really need it to be running at 60+. It's driving me absolutely bonkers; particularly because of the fact that I came from windows, and I know what it *could* run like, and the irony of having some of the best hardware out at the moment in the form of my imac pro means absolutely nothing. It's "usable", but honestly, I'm a composer at a sound house who works in reaper 24/7, and believe me, the low fps UI really wears on you over time. To those with retina screens who say it's "fine", I'd like to point out that there's a wide gap between "fine" and "amazing".

There's got to be a way other companies are making their DAWs run smooth on 5k imacs....ableton, studio one, logic. I also have Studio One 3 Professional, of which the UI runs better than reaper when the resolution is at retina. When you switch the resolution to native mode, it runs like an absolute dream, as if you were running it on a windows machine (this native-res-switch-trick does nothing with reaper fyi, despite it being one of the suggested bandaids).

At this point, my only options are to either sell this imac pro (unlikely at this point in time, but who knows?), or switching DAWs (unfortunate). I will most likely be switching to Studio One for the timebeing, with reaper being used for edits here and there..... shame really, as reaper is incredible, and has some very powerful and unique things that few other DAWs have.

Last edited by weens; 04-10-2018 at 03:51 AM.
weens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 02:39 AM   #150
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by weens View Post
At this point, my only options are to either sell this imac pro (unlikely at this point in time, but who knows?), or switching DAWs (unfortunate).
How about using Windows on Bootcamp until Reaper gets a Retina compatible GUI?

Fact is, this issue should be solved to avoid the loss of Mac users.

Chris
Aymara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:16 AM   #151
Robert Johnson III

[REAPER HSierra Lowresolution - YouTube](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbaJuNeC17I)

[REAPER HSierra Native RGB - YouTube](https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-K775FiygY)

Just(in) an update… On High Sierra 10.13.4 (17E199) Low resolution now makes a noticeable difference, lag is (much) less than it used to be. Maybe an OS update and low resolution could be a temporary solution. Hopefully this can be addressed in a more permanent way. Retina is (becoming) mainstream and REAPER is lagging…

Old 04-10-2018, 03:33 AM   #152
weens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
Fact is, this issue should be solved to avoid the loss of Mac users.

Yep, this. To not look at this issue seriously would be to alienate a large base of users.

Last edited by weens; 04-10-2018 at 03:42 AM.
weens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 06:42 AM   #153
vanhaze

Completely agree with above ; already lurking more and more towards Logic Pro X which looks stunning on Retina.
Old 04-10-2018, 10:14 AM   #154
Futur8me

The FL STUDIO beta for macOS is amazing also, it has some bugs but it works great for me, I cant wait for when its properly released for macOS, it looks amazing and its playhead runs super smooth like Logic Pro X.

My main wish is for Reapers playhead to move smoother like FL Studio and Logic Pro X.., also a retina GUI.

Its a long wait.

Old 04-12-2018, 03:36 AM   #155
ChristopherT

Recently invested big money on a 6.1 8 core, SSD, Thunderbolt audio drives & 4K monitor to do a huge project on Reaper.

About to commence writing, if this lag happens to me,(watched the video) it will surely drive me crazy, and if nothing is mentioned about the devs prioritizing fixing this problem , I'm gone

Back to ProTools (20+years) - or even Logic Pro?

Anything that "works"
ChristopherT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:18 AM   #156
Futur8me

This video is perfect at showing how horrible Reapers GUI and FPS lag is on macOS..>> https://youtu.be/vmdIOlI81Fg

Old 08-14-2018, 11:00 AM   #157
quadrifoglio
Banned

Hello everyone,

I do not know if someone already mentioned, but I found some "solution" for this slow GUI problem on high resolution Macs.

I am using Reaper for almost 10 years, and I used it on my Hackintosh all that time without any problem of this kind, or any kind actually.
Now I have 5k iMac 2017 and I am noticing that Reaper is laggy, which is very sad because it otherwise works outstanding.

Here is my "solution" to this problem:

1. Open Preferences and select Display
2. Press and hold Alt/Option and click on Scaled blue dot
3. After all resolutions are now available tick that "Show low resolution modes" box
4. Select 1560x1440 (Low Resolution), or any other you would like, just it must be Low Resolution mode

This way the system will run in low resolution mode and Reaper will work flawlessly, fast and responsive GUI as we used to.
Yes, the system and everything else will look little less sharp, however as Reaper is not High DPI ready it will look the same.

I am just not clear which one is the problem here, Mac OS or Reaper...
quadrifoglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:25 AM   #158
vanhaze

Thanks for your input !

I think your case isn't totally applicable for macbook retina users, using an external Display as main Display:

I did exactly what you instructed and any choosen low resolution modus that comes up for me in Display prefs is looking quite terrible to look at in Reaper and unworkable for me.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:10 PM   #159
quadrifoglio
Banned

This is strange. External display or internal, resolution should be the same.

edit:

There is also another way to do it, just click right click on Reaper.app and select Get Info, then check Open In Lowe Resolution, that way everything else stays in high resolution while Reaper opens in low, and again everything works as it should.

Last edited by quadrifoglio; 08-14-2018 at 01:27 PM.
quadrifoglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 01:42 AM   #160
Dreiko

Default MAC OS/Reaper/Span + Volume Shaper/GUI

Hey guys, hope you're well. Any other ways of solving the problem? Thanks!
Dreiko is offline   Reply With Quote