Old 03-15-2017, 02:43 AM   #1
dodobirds
Human being with feelings

Default Apple Loops in Reaper

Hey everyone! I'm very very new to Reaper and looking to slowly make the switch from Logic. One problem I'm facing however is that I can't import .caf files in Reaper. I downloaded and installed the file wrapper that supposedly allows importing .caf files but still Reaper can't import them.

Has anyone managed to find a decent way of using Apple Loops in Reaper?

Many thanks in advance!
dodobirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 12:06 PM   #2
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodobirds View Post
One problem I'm facing however is that I can't import .caf files in Reaper. I downloaded and installed the file wrapper that supposedly allows importing .caf files but still Reaper can't import them.
Which Reaper version are you currently using?
And which file wrapper exactly? Can you post a link ...
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:02 AM   #3
JTF

Hi,

Yes, Apple loops are saved as core audio files and Reaper cannot read those. They need to be converted to .aiff's or .wav's. I did this when I was moving away from Logic a few yrs ago.. here's the post I made earlier describing how I did the conversion. There are few paid applications which claims to convert caf-files to wav's. Those apps are not needed if you can handle a little bit of terminal, osx has all the conversion tools built in. It's going to take some time since Logic's library is quite large.

Hope this helps.

J

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTF View Post
I've done some converting lately, using a script I've found here http://alvinalexander.com/mac-os-x/c...iff-mp3-format.

This script turns a whole folder of CAF-files into 8bit-aiff-files.

I changed the line

afconvert -f AIFF -d I8 "$INFILE" "$outfile"

to

afconvert -f AIFF -d BEI16 "$INFILE" "$outfile"

so they were converted to 16bit AIFFs. You could also convert them to 24bit but for me the 16 bit is enough anyway.

Running the script from Terminal was bit of a fight since I've never used the Terminal before, but after a couple of google-moments I managed to make it happen. Internet is great.

The script needs to be copied into the same folder as the CAF-files. Then changing the directory in the Terminal to the same directory and running the script with sh-command.
Maybe someone with real Terminal-skills knows a better/quicker way to do this but it worked for me. (osx 10.6.8)

The files will be copied into the same folder as the CAF-originals, thus the hard drive occupation is somewhat doubled.
JTF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:23 AM   #4
vanhaze

Thanks for this !

Sidenote:
Would be so great if the tempo and key meta data in Apple Loops after conversion
would be retained and Reaper could "read" those tags, so thus, for instance, could
stretch a converted, imported Apple Loop to match Reaper tempo.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
dodobirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by solger View Post
Which Reaper version are you currently using?
And which file wrapper exactly? Can you post a link ...
Hello and MASSIVE apologies for the late reply
I was using the latest version of Reaper (as I am now, after having updated to 5.4).

The file wrapper I was referring to is this one : http://www.matthiaskronlachner.com/?p=2172

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my initial post and I'm sorry I took so long to get back to you.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:38 AM   #6
dodobirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTF View Post
Hi,

Yes, Apple loops are saved as core audio files and Reaper cannot read those. They need to be converted to .aiff's or .wav's. I did this when I was moving away from Logic a few yrs ago.. here's the post I made earlier describing how I did the conversion. There are few paid applications which claims to convert caf-files to wav's. Those apps are not needed if you can handle a little bit of terminal, osx has all the conversion tools built in. It's going to take some time since Logic's library is quite large.

Hope this helps.

J
THANK YOU!!!! And apologies for my ridiculously late reply, I had to go back to Logic for a project and I'm now re-starting my journey in Reaper

I'll try doing this sometime next week and I'll let you know how it worked. But in theory it sounds like a fantastic solution. THANKS again for taking the time to help!
Old 04-07-2017, 08:02 PM   #7
lachinhan

Default Easy CAF Converter for Logic Pro

You refer https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easy...=ko&ls=1&mt=12

Customer Reviews
Couldn’t Be Happier
by Lester Francoeur
Easy CAF Converter does exactly what it says it does. It takes your apple loops that are in CAF file format and converts them to AIFF or WAV files so they can be used in any audio application – not just Logic Pro, Soundtrack or Garageband. After downloading, I launched the application. It immediately found all my apple loops on my computer without me doing anything, had all selected (but you could unselect the folders of loops you didn’t want to convert if desired), I told it where I wanted the converted files to be saved and within minutes, it converted 4.5GB of apple loops. I didn’t time it but it couldn’t have taken more than 10 minutes. I was working on a song in Pro Tools 12.5 while it converted. When it was done, I opened a new Workspace in Pro Tools, selected the folder I told it to save the converted loops in and tried audtioning one with the song playing. The loop and all other loops played back seamlessly in time with the song and just like that, my problem properly working with apple loops in Pro Tools was solved. Works perfectly. Couldn’t be happier. Took no time to learn. Get this thing. For Pro Tools users and users of other DAW’s that don’t support Apple loops, all your looping problems have been solved. Don’t waste time with Apple Loops Utility. It doesn't work well at all and is no longer supported or updated. Easy CAF Converter is your answer. Thank you Young Ho Lee at Audio Helper Project. I owe you a drink next time you come to Los Angeles.
lachinhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 12:24 AM   #8
dodobirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachinhan View Post
You refer https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/easy...=ko&ls=1&mt=12

Customer Reviews
Couldn’t Be Happier
by Lester Francoeur
Easy CAF Converter does exactly what it says it does. It takes your apple loops that are in CAF file format and converts them to AIFF or WAV files so they can be used in any audio application – not just Logic Pro, Soundtrack or Garageband. After downloading, I launched the application. It immediately found all my apple loops on my computer without me doing anything, had all selected (but you could unselect the folders of loops you didn’t want to convert if desired), I told it where I wanted the converted files to be saved and within minutes, it converted 4.5GB of apple loops. I didn’t time it but it couldn’t have taken more than 10 minutes. I was working on a song in Pro Tools 12.5 while it converted. When it was done, I opened a new Workspace in Pro Tools, selected the folder I told it to save the converted loops in and tried audtioning one with the song playing. The loop and all other loops played back seamlessly in time with the song and just like that, my problem properly working with apple loops in Pro Tools was solved. Works perfectly. Couldn’t be happier. Took no time to learn. Get this thing. For Pro Tools users and users of other DAW’s that don’t support Apple loops, all your looping problems have been solved. Don’t waste time with Apple Loops Utility. It doesn't work well at all and is no longer supported or updated. Easy CAF Converter is your answer. Thank you Young Ho Lee at Audio Helper Project. I owe you a drink next time you come to Los Angeles.
That seems like a very good solution! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!!
Old 04-08-2017, 01:04 AM   #9
lachinhan

Quote:
That seems like a very good solution! Thanks for bringing it to my attention!!
You're welcome !!!
I think the $ 5 price is quite pleasant if it is useful. Hope you succeed and share Apple's Loop library for everyone (in wave format).
lachinhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #10
o_e

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachinhan View Post
You're welcome !!!
I think the $ 5 price is quite pleasant if it is useful. Hope you succeed and share Apple's Loop library for everyone (in wave format).
I just bought the app, be aware that it only works if your Apple Loops are in the place where the Logic Installer puts them! I have them on an external drive because I don't use them regularly and CAF do not find them and it is not possible to change the path..
Can someone tell me what the default directory for Apple Loops is, so I can try if an alias or a hardlink will do the trick..
o_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 09:03 AM   #11
dodobirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_e View Post
I just bought the app, be aware that it only works if your Apple Loops are in the place where the Logic Installer puts them! I have them on an external drive because I don't use them regularly and CAF do not find them and it is not possible to change the path..
Can someone tell me what the default directory for Apple Loops is, so I can try if an alias or a hardlink will do the trick..
The default path is :

Library > Application Support > Logic > Apple Loops

Hit Shift+Cmd+G in an open Finder window and input the following :

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Apple Loops

You can create aliases and move the original folders in an external drive. Just make sure to rename the aliases when you're done moving the originals so that they have the exact same names

I've been using Logic like this for the past year or so and it works great. I don't know if the caf converter will work but it's worth a try.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:25 AM   #12
o_e

Quote:
The default path is :

Library > Application Support > Logic > Apple Loops

Hit Shift+Cmd+G in an open Finder window and input the following :

/Library/Application Support/Logic/Apple Loops

You can create aliases and move the original folders in an external drive. Just make sure to rename the aliases when you're done moving the originals so that they have the exact same names

I've been using Logic like this for the past year or so and it works great. I don't know if the caf converter will work but it's worth a try.
Thanks for your help! Even if I create a directory
'/Library/Application Support/Logic/Apple Loops' and put a .caf file in it, the CAF-Converter does not find an Apple Loop :-(
Does it work for you?

Edit: The correct directory is: /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/
but it seems not possible to access .caf files via Alias or Hardlink.
Just wrote an email to the developers if there is a workaround..
Edit2: The developers just respond, the .caf files have to be in the directory named above at the moment..

Last edited by o_e; 04-08-2017 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:29 AM   #13
dodobirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by o_e View Post
Thanks for your help! Even if I create a directory
'/Library/Application Support/Logic/Apple Loops' and put a .caf file in it, the CAF-Converter does not find an Apple Loop :-(
Does it work for you?

Edit: The correct directory is: /Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple/
but it seems not possible to access .caf files via Alias or Hardlink.
Just wrote an email to the developers if there is a workaround..
Edit2: The developers just respond, the .caf files have to be in the directory named above at the moment..
Hmmm, really? I should have asked...which version of Logic are you using and which version of Mac OS :S
Because for me (El Capitan and Logic 10.3.1) it works great with the path I gave you. When I say it works great I mean Logic works great with the aliases setup in that folder. I haven't tried the converter yet so I can't speak to that.
Old 04-08-2017, 11:42 AM   #14
o_e

Quote:
Hmmm, really? I should have asked...which version of Logic are you using and which version of Mac OS :S
Because for me (El Capitan and Logic 10.3.1) it works great with the path I gave you. When I say it works great I mean Logic works great with the aliases setup in that folder. I haven't tried the converter yet so I can't speak to that.
As I remember it correctly you can put the Apple Loops anywhere if you drop them on Logic's Mediabay..
But, as I said, I use them seldomly (on last Logic 9 and 10.9.5 aka 'Mavericks')
Anyway, if you plan to use that converter you have to put your Apple Loops in the folder '/Library/Audio/Apple Loops/Apple' otherwise the converter will not find them.