Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 12-04-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
DanIsConfused
Human being with feelings

Default SWS Extensions not installing in OSX

I just recently started using Reaper 4.13, and I am having difficulty installing the SWS Extensions in OSX 10.7.2 (Lion). The Standing Water site says this about installation:

"If you are running OSX, download the .dmg file. Mount the volume. If you have installed REAPER to your standard Applications folder, then drag reaper_sws.dylib to ~/Library/Application Support/REAPER/UserPlugins. If you have installed REAPER elsewhere (portable install) then drag reaper_sws.dylib to your reaper directory/UserPlugins."

There was no REAPER folder under Application Support, which already concerns me, so I created one as well as a UserPlugins subfolder. I placed the reaper_sws.dylib file in the UserPlugins folder and opened Reaper. Nothing. No SWS Extensions. It just opened normally, and there are no SWS extensions in the Actions list. I tried putting the file in the same folder as the Reaper.app, and again nothing. What am I doing wrong, and what is this "Grooves" folder for? I can't find any info on using it with OSX anywhere.
DanIsConfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 AM   #2
amsonx

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanIsConfused View Post
I just recently started using Reaper 4.13, and I am having difficulty installing the SWS Extensions in OSX 10.7.2 (Lion). The Standing Water site says this about installation:

"If you are running OSX, download the .dmg file. Mount the volume. If you have installed REAPER to your standard Applications folder, then drag reaper_sws.dylib to ~/Library/Application Support/REAPER/UserPlugins. If you have installed REAPER elsewhere (portable install) then drag reaper_sws.dylib to your reaper directory/UserPlugins."

There was no REAPER folder under Application Support, which already concerns me, so I created one as well as a UserPlugins subfolder. I placed the reaper_sws.dylib file in the UserPlugins folder and opened Reaper. Nothing. No SWS Extensions. It just opened normally, and there are no SWS extensions in the Actions list. I tried putting the file in the same folder as the Reaper.app, and again nothing. What am I doing wrong, and what is this "Grooves" folder for? I can't find any info on using it with OSX anywhere.
see this about the Library folder

http://osxdaily.com/2011/07/04/show-...mac-os-x-lion/
amsonx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
Orlog24

I am having the very same problem! It is not that we cannot find the Library, it is that there is not path for reaper in the library!
Orlog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #4
Orlog24

Dan, here is the solution!!!

In reaper, open the actions window and search for/run the action "Show REAPER resource path in Finder". Within that folder is the UserPlugins folder where you should place "reaper_sws.dylib"

I'm still on SL, but this should work - if Reaper opens, then the resource path does exist - just a shame about this directory hiding silliness in Lion :-/ If this doesn't work, then try a custom search in the Finder for "Reaper" of kind "Folder".

Something I recommend though, is doing a "portable install" - this way, everything that reaper requires to run can be placed in the specific directory you want. To do this from scratch:

- create a new folder (wherever you like)
- using TextEdit, create a blank file called "reaper.ini" in this folder - make sure the actual extension is ".ini"
- drag the REAPER(.app) into this folder and run it from there

It will create all the necessary files/folders while it launches for the first time. Then drop the sws dylib into the new UserPlugins folder.

Ime, there's no benefit to having the ".app" in your Applications folder and the resource path somewhere else - just keep it all in the same place.
Orlog24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 04:40 PM   #5
DanIsConfused

Default YAYYY!!!

Thanks, you guys. This fixed my problem, and that osxdaily site is now bookmarked. Lots of useful stuff there, especially as a new Mac user, as well.
DanIsConfused is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
Terry Gray

Default Awesome!

Thanks for this thread. I was having the same issue. Now it is fixed. :-)
2017 MacBookPro 13" and/or 2010 Mac Mini 2010; A&H SQ5 with 32x32 USB and 64x64 Dante; Focusrite Scarlet 18i8 and/or Behringer UM404HD; too many mics to list. Recording opera is currently paying the bills.
Terry Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:25 AM   #7
Calculomicon

The problem is that general and new Mac users do not know the difference between "/" and "~/". Companies should stop using "~/" in the instructions for their stuff - it just causes too much confusion in these post Lion days.

For those that would ever need to reach "~/Library", the best thing to do is hold the "option" key while clicking Finder's "Go" menu, the option key will reveal "Library" in the list of ... places to go
Calculomicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:49 AM   #8
Jeffos
Mortal

We'll get rid of this clumsy installation soon: in the *next* offical version, the SWS/S&M extension can be installed via double-click
(already available in beta versions, download link below)

EDIT SEPT. 2015: outdated info, see my next post

Last edited by Jeffos; 09-28-2015 at 01:14 AM.
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #9
serr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calculomicon View Post
The problem is that general and new Mac users do not know the difference between "/" and "~/".
I suspect this is really what happened and your install is just fine out of the box.

"~" is shorthand for the path to your home folder (/Users/homefolder).

There is an additional Library folder here. This is where application support files get installed for your personal account vs. for all users. This lets you create multiple accounts on a single computer with different installs for different users. This feature is normally only used in business settings with multiple users of a single machine.

To add to the confusion for new users, there's a rather awkward bug in OSX 10.7 Lion where the user Library folder is hidden. You can still access it from the 'Go' menu or you must show hidden files to see it from a Finder window. I believe this got fixed in 10.8. I'm still living happily in the past with 10.6
serr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 10:15 PM   #10
Xaos

I am having the same problem with the SWS extensions not showing up. But first, I'm also seeing weird behavior with this thread, meaning I can find it in google, but not by searching the title in the forum itself. When I go to post a reply, it gives me a dialog resembling that of a new thread creation, so I'm posting the link to the thread I'm referencing here:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=92680

I'm running REAPER 4.75 on an old 1.25 GHz G4 PowerBook with 1 gig of RAM. (Ancient, I know, but back in the days when I was using Cubase quite happily, we couldn't even dream of such power!). I'm trying to run the SWS extensions 2.8.1, which says they are Universal Binaries 32 & 64 bit compatible.

I have followed every suggestion in this thread, most of them before I even read it. (I'm very Mac and *nix savvy, but completely new to REAPER.) So here's what I've done:

First, I placed the reaper_sws_extensions.dylib in the appropriate place in the user's home directory. No love. Then I created the same path in the system wide Library folder. Still no love. I checked the resource paths in REAPER's Preferences. Both paths are there and other resources there are working fine. Then, I put reaper_sws_extensions.dylib into the folder where REAPER resides (REAPER_Folder inside the Applications folder). Still, no SWS extensions showing up on the Actions list. I then clicked the "Clear cache and Rescan" button in the Preferences>Plugins>VST window. It found everything else fine, and all the resource paths were recreated perfectly in the Paths window.

The only thing I can think of that might be wrong is a compatibility issue. Could it be that SWS 2.8.1 is not actually PPC and 32 bit compatible like it says? Or perhaps that dylib doesn't work with v4.75 of REAPER. From what I can find, it should all work, even on this old system.

Does anyone have any suggestions? I think I've done everything that fixed other people's issues, but perhaps I'm missing something really obvious.

Thanks!

Last edited by Xaos; 09-27-2015 at 10:33 PM.
Xaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:13 AM   #11
Jeffos
Mortal

Hi Xaos and welcome to the forums!
Yes, SWS v2.8.+ is only compatible with REAPER v5+, you should see a warning message about that when launching REAPER though...
If you don't see this warning, it probably means SWS isn't properly installed.

BTW, this thread is outdated...
To ease the installation and to prevent some security issues with newer OSX versions, the installation script has been removed. Also, we have changed the SWS installation disk image (again!): you can drag the .dylib the into ~/Library/Application Support/REAPER/UserPlugins (<- via the Finder, i.e. the old school way) but also into /Library/Application Support/REAPER/UserPlugins (<- shortcut available in the DMG, that's new).

If you still have any trouble, please have a look here: http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...6&postcount=96
Old 09-28-2015, 06:04 AM   #12
cyrano

The 2.7.1 linked in that post seems gone:

Quote:
The requested URL /download/pre-release/whatsnew-v2.7.1.0.html was not found on this server.
The latest version is available from the front page:

http://sws.mj-s.com/
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:41 AM   #13
Xaos

Yeah, I knew this was an old thread, but some admins get touchy about posting new threads about previously discussed topics, so I figured I'd start here since it was the first thing that came up when I googled the issue.

I can't believe the response time to my questions! You guys are just amazIng.

No warning pops up on when the application loads. I looked for compatibility on the SWS site, and didn't see anything about it 2.8x requiring v5. I tried the 2.7 dylib, and no warning, but still no love. Can you tell me which is the last version that is compatible with 4.75? Can't seem to find that info on the site anywhere. Also, just out of curiosity, why make a universal binary for an extension set that is only compatible with an intel only version of REAPER?

I'm so grateful you are all here to help. Trying to get a setup going with this ancient equipment is quite a challenge, but the only option I have right now. Health issues have left me with no income for 5 years, and without advice from folks like you, I'd be up a creek. Constant pain makes it hard to figure out things that would have been simple for me before, and though I do my best to research answers on my own before posting, it is a great comfort to know you're all here. My voice is about the only thing I have left to work with, and offering readings of public domain books is the only thing I can think of to pull some donations for living expenses until my disability appeal goes through. So what you guys offer here in the way of support makes a HUGE impact. I'm really looking forward to the day I know this stuff well enough to offer the same kind of help. I've certainly learned a lot the hard way already!

Oh, and just so you know, I like the old school installation method. That way I know what is where. One thing I do have going for me is years of experience supporting OS X in professional creative environments. I was a convert from the first day Public Beta was released and could see the power of using a *nix OS to support things like CoreAudio. I digress.

Thanks again.

Last edited by Xaos; 09-28-2015 at 07:06 AM. Reason: updated info and typos
Old 09-28-2015, 07:58 AM   #14
cyrano

EDIT: got time warped again. Sorry Serr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by serr View Post
To add to the confusion for new users, there's a rather awkward bug in OSX 10.7 Lion where the user Library folder is hidden. You can still access it from the 'Go' menu or you must show hidden files to see it from a Finder window. I believe this got fixed in 10.8. I'm still living happily in the past with 10.6
I follow you. It's not a bug though. Apple has decided that it's all invisible to the average user. Standard behaviour from Lion on.

And "El Capitan" disables the root system user completely. You need to reboot from the recovery partition to enable it.

It's kind of logical for the average user, kind of inconvenient for the power user.

From the security perspective, it's perfect. What isn't there can't be rooted. And a double reboot would probably get noticed by the user, I think :-)

I've been able to delete my 10.6.8 partition and I'm happily camping on Mavericks. El Capitan looks good tho. All my gear works. Have seen no serious software problems either, but I haven't had time to test a lot yet.
cyrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:35 AM   #15
Xaos

I hear you, cyrano. IMO&E, Snow Leopard was the pinnacle of OS X. Sad to see something so beautiful, both above and beneath the hood, devolve into something that rivals Windoze in it's appearance and user experience.

Still wondering which was the last version of SWS to work with 4.75. Anyone know? Trial and error is getting old—fast.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:03 AM   #16
Jeffos
Mortal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyrano View Post
The 2.7.1 linked in that post seems gone:
Quote:
The requested URL /download/pre-release/whatsnew-v2.7.1.0.html was not found on this server.
Yeah, as stated in the URL, it was a pre-release (temporary) changelog.
The permanent changelog URL is: http://sws.mj-s.com/whatsnew.php
^ includes all previous versions (so v2.7.1 too, in this case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos View Post
I looked for compatibility on the SWS site, and didn't see anything about it 2.8x requiring v5.
You didn't read well enough then It's said just above the download button...
... I'll write that in red or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaos View Post
Still wondering which was the last version of SWS to work with 4.75. Anyone know? Trial and error is getting old—fast.
You can retrieve SWS / REAPER compatible versions in the changelog/what's new (e.g. look for "4.75").
The website tells you where to download old SWS versions too.
=> you need SWS v2.6.0 for REAPER v4.75.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:29 AM   #17
dacaumodo

Hey guys

I'm trying to install the latest version on Mac, but no dice.

double clicking on the sws-v.2.8.8.0.dmg does nothing at all.

Am on Mac, El Capitain OS v 10.11.6

Reaper 5.35 64b installed.

Any clues?

Thanks

DCMD
dacaumodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:16 AM   #18
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaumodo View Post
double clicking on the sws-v.2.8.8.0.dmg does nothing at all.
Might be that the .dmg file extension is not associated to the correct application (DiskImageMounter.app)

More info here: http://osxdaily.com/2013/08/08/chang...iles-mac-os-x/
solger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 12:06 PM   #19
dacaumodo

Thanks - I just checked that, and the file extension is associated with the correct app.
dacaumodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 02:16 AM   #20
solger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacaumodo View Post
Thanks - I just checked that, and the file extension is associated with the correct app.
OK, then try to manually mount the dmg file : https://www.techwalla.com/articles/h...-file-on-a-mac

Or maybe download the .dmg file again (to rule out a corrupt download). Download size of sws-v.2.8.8.0.dmg is about 4.3 MB. Although OSX Finder shows a file size of 4.5 MB here (which is probably just a rounded up value).

Last edited by solger; 03-23-2017 at 02:44 AM.
solger is offline   Reply With Quote