Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 02-23-2017, 05:47 AM   #1
Wolfster
Human being with feelings

Default Just migrated from Logic Pro X to Reaper!

I've finally made the switch, and I hope to make Reaper my primary DAW of choice from now on! Some of Logic's editing/navigation features weren't so Logic-al IMO.

Having gone through many tutorial video online, I'm finally beginning to get the hang of navigating and optimising the program for my uses, however I still have a way to go yet. The FX chain and send/return functionality is still a bit confusing(coming from Logic), but I'll get there!

In the long run I'd also like to integrate Reaper with some notation software(with tablature) in order to compose. I'm hoping to use the video window to be able to transcribe by slowing down performances and notating whilst using re-wire! Once I have created a tempo map for the performance I hope I can import that into my notating software in order to transcribe.

Anyone have any useful knowledge and/or tips they'd like to share to make the transition a bit smoother?

Wolfster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 07:23 AM   #2
vanhaze

Hey there and welcome aboard !

Longtime Logic Pro user here also, switched to Reaper few years ago and never looked back

You can find excellent Reaper tutorials here:

http://www.kennymania.com/reaper-videos/
www.reaperblog.net
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...lvmUFuF8lWX-o8
www.

https://www.youtube.com/user/vanhaze2000/playlists

Be patient, learning Reaper, cause this DAW goes very deep.

This Community will help you with anything, it's the most friendly and helpfull DAW community i have ever seen.

Warm Regards.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:49 AM   #3
Wolfster

Ahh yeah thanks. I've watched quite a few of those already, but there's still much to learn.
Old 02-23-2017, 08:24 AM   #4
DaveKeehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanhaze View Post
Be patient, learning Reaper, cause this DAW goes very deep.
You're totally right. Most people disregard REAPER because is a "free" DAW. If they only knew what it is capable of they would be so embarassed...
Old 02-23-2017, 08:44 AM   #5
vitalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfster View Post
Ahh yeah thanks. I've watched quite a few of those already, but there's still much to learn.
First of all, you should read the User guide: http://dlz.reaper.fm/userguide/ReaperUserGuide533e.pdf #User_guide_challenge.
It will help you to achieve what do you want step-by-step. Good luck with it and welcome to Reaperville!
vitalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:05 AM   #6
Wolfster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonE View Post
How to use sends in Reaper, for more power: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=187864
Thanks! Looks interesting. That theme is also very similar in appearance to Logic Pro X! Is it on the resources website?
Old 02-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #7
Wolfster

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalker View Post
First of all, you should read the User guide: http://dlz.reaper.fm/userguide/ReaperUserGuide533e.pdf #User_guide_challenge.
It will help you to achieve what do you want step-by-step. Good luck with it and welcome to Reaperville!
Thanks. Yes I want to learn to learn the software inside out! Although that might take me my whole life.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:11 AM   #8
Wolfster

Would be great if I could record video straight into Reaper as well, but that looks like it's not possible(yet). But aside from that, and the lack of tab notation. The DAW has so many awesome features. Take grouping and folders for example, having multiple layers for that stuff is a blessing(especially coming from Logic Pro X). Also the flexibility of the layout, and allowing the user to place multiple windows anywhere on the main window is a really cool feature. Neither of those features are available on Logic that I'm aware of, at least not to that level of flexibility.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #9
Rico Sergeant

I'm another new convert, I have spent the last few days diving in and am starting to get confident in using it, I am pretty sure this will be my primary daw going forward, I'm very impressed, and the CPU usage is excellent, by far the best of them all.
Rico Sergeant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:43 PM   #10
wjmwpg

I also have made the switch from Logic Pro X . . . three days ago now. There's a lot to learn, but I'm having a great time with it.

I found that watching all of those ReaperMania tutorials on YouTube at double speed (2X) really held my attention better than real-time playback. There was no time for the my mind to wander that way - I had to stay tuned in! And I got them all done in a day that way . . . but then I've got the attention span of a gnat.

I should probably install one of the Logic Pro X cloned themes for ease of transition, but to be honest it's the last thing I want to look at right now. :P
Old 02-25-2017, 07:12 AM   #11
Wolfster

Quote:
Message to all logic > reaper switchers, you could together start a project, create logic clone, in terms of mouse and hotkey behaviour, share here for all future switchers, if you want, if not done already. Just an idea. Creating a .ReaperConfigZip does the job. Best would be if Dom & Roland would just share his .ReaperConfigZip, someone could ask him, as he switched also from Logic to Reaper many years ago.
Yes, that sounds like a good idea. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to copy the key commands over. Who are Dom and Roland?
Old 02-25-2017, 08:53 AM   #12
matthewbarnhart

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmwpg View Post
I also have made the switch from Logic Pro X . . . three days ago now. There's a lot to learn, but I'm having a great time with it.

I found that watching all of those ReaperMania tutorials on YouTube at double speed (2X) really held my attention better than real-time playback. There was no time for the my mind to wander that way - I had to stay tuned in! And I got them all done in a day that way . . . but then I've got the attention span of a gnat.

I should probably install one of the Logic Pro X cloned themes for ease of transition, but to be honest it's the last thing I want to look at right now. :P
With the caveat that every individual's brain works differently, I will say my biggest roadblock to fully embracing REAPER was to first attempt to bend the program to my ingrained (Cubase/Pro Tools) working methods. I got a lot further when I buckled down and learned how REAPER did things natively before starting on customizations.
matthewbarnhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2017, 09:09 AM   #13
wjmwpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewbarnhart View Post
With the caveat that every individual's brain works differently, I will say my biggest roadblock to fully embracing REAPER was to first attempt to bend the program to my ingrained (Cubase/Pro Tools) working methods. I got a lot further when I buckled down and learned how REAPER did things natively before starting on customizations.
Thanks for the insight Matthew - I totally get where you're coming from. While I'm excited at the degree of customizations Reaper offers, I'm not yet instituting any changes, but rather just learning as much as I can about everything that's possible. I'm also not looking to "recreate Logic" or replicate my old Logic workflow within Reaper - my thinking is that if I want that old Logic workflow I should just stay with Logic. I'm trying very hard to learn Reaper "from scratch" as if I've never used another DAW before. There are some beautiful Logic themes out there that make the Reaper interface extremely familiar to me . . . So I'm not using them!

Today I begin working through the User Guide page by page . . .
Old 02-26-2017, 10:26 AM   #14
vanhaze

Not trying to replicate Logic's workflow in Reaper is a Big Thumbs up 4 you.
I haven't seen that many people, coming from an other DAW, that have that intelligence :0)

Take learning Reaper on a small step by small step basis and be proud of yourself when you learned something new in Reaper, although it is the smallest detail ever.

Patience is everything i would say, don't be "pushed back" when things aren't happening
the way you (thought) you learned in Reaper.
Always ask here for help when you do headbanging against walls

Warm regards and have incredible fun in this great DAW !
Old 02-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #15
G-Sun

Welcome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfster View Post
In the long run I'd also like to integrate Reaper with some notation software(with tablature) in order to compose. I'm hoping to use the video window to be able to transcribe by slowing down performances and notating whilst using re-wire! Once I have created a tempo map for the performance I hope I can import that into my notating software in order to transcribe.
This is quite doable.
I've used Reaper <> Notion.
But, be sure to check out Reapers native Notation Editor. It has gotten some serious dev-attention the last year.
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 04:36 AM   #16
Wolfster

Quote:
I think, if you have huge screen, you could squeeze out most from these possibilities, but not on a tiny laptop screen.

Notation on the left, arrange on the right, with inline editor active, so you have notation, arrange, piano roll, all together.
That's good to know. I had a question about re-wire. Are you able to manipulate midi in the DAW and it update in Notion? Just wondering what kind of control you have over both programs. Do tempo and time signature adjustments update in each program?
Old 02-27-2017, 04:38 AM   #17
Wolfster

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Sun View Post
Welcome!

This is quite doable.
I've used Reaper <> Notion.
But, be sure to check out Reapers native Notation Editor. It has gotten some serious dev-attention the last year.
Okay, will do. Yeah I've checked out some videos. I work a lot with tab though(I write for my band) so I probably won't use it too much, apart from for notating out drum parts. I really hope they integrate tab at some point then I wouldn't need to use any other program!
Old 02-27-2017, 04:41 AM   #18
Wolfster

Quote:
Thanks for the insight Matthew - I totally get where you're coming from. While I'm excited at the degree of customizations Reaper offers, I'm not yet instituting any changes, but rather just learning as much as I can about everything that's possible. I'm also not looking to "recreate Logic" or replicate my old Logic workflow within Reaper - my thinking is that if I want that old Logic workflow I should just stay with Logic. I'm trying very hard to learn Reaper "from scratch" as if I've never used another DAW before. There are some beautiful Logic themes out there that make the Reaper interface extremely familiar to me . . . So I'm not using them!

Today I begin working through the User Guide page by page . . .
Yes I coming from the same mindset. Also certain aspects of Logic just gets annoying! I'd rather come up with my own workflow, and take the best bits from Logic and shape it around how I work. Reaper allows me to do this so I'm happy so far.
Old 03-03-2017, 03:55 AM   #19
dodobirds

Hey guys!

I'm a complete noob when it comes to Reaper and I'm looking to switch over from Logic. I work primarily in midi and Vienna ensemble pro is at the core of my workflow.
I've tried re-creating a few things from my template in reaper but I'm hitting a wall and I'd really appreciate your help and insights!

The first problem has to do with setting up midi tracks with VE pro. I create a new track via "insert VST instrument in new midi track" but I don't choose to create the different audio outputs because I always bounce to audio before mixing anyway. Then, by left-clicking on the FX window, I choose to create 16 midi tracks routed to that VST instrument. Now, for the first instance of VE pro, that works great. But, when I try to add more instances of VE pro, for some reason, when selecting and 'arming' a midi track, I also hear instruments of another VE pro instance!! I'm not sure if this makes any sense so if it doesn't please let me know and I'll explain further.

The other thing I'd like to sort out is how to create midi track using consecutive midi channels routed from an instrument track. While I'm not looking to re-create my logic workflow, one of the features I use the most is the single keystroke allowing me to create a midi track using the next available midi output from the VST instrument selected. For example, let's say I have a VE pro instance that for the time being uses only 5 midi tracks but I want to add a 6th one. How do I easily add a midi track round to the 6th midi channel of an already existing VSTi track in Reaper?

Massive thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to shed some light!
dodobirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 04:39 AM   #20
zappsunzorn

Welcome to the Reaper Forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodobirds View Post
Hey guys!

The first problem has to do with setting up midi tracks with VE pro. I create a new track via "insert VST instrument in new midi track" but I don't choose to create the different audio outputs because I always bounce to audio before mixing anyway. Then, by left-clicking on the FX window, I choose to create 16 midi tracks routed to that VST instrument. Now, for the first instance of VE pro, that works great. But, when I try to add more instances of VE pro, for some reason, when selecting and 'arming' a midi track, I also hear instruments of another VE pro instance!! I'm not sure if this makes any sense so if it doesn't please let me know and I'll explain further.
You have an option to select the MIDI bus as well as the midi channel for the midi send and receive for the track. You can also make a track template with multiple tracks by selecting the tracks before saving the template. That way you can have all the midi tracks being sent to the instrument as well as any tracks being sent audio from that instrument. This can save tons of time once you have it set up and saved. For instance you can have " VE Pro bus one" and "VE Pro bus 2" as another.

Quote:

The other thing I'd like to sort out is how to create midi track using consecutive midi channels routed from an instrument track. While I'm not looking to re-create my logic workflow, one of the features I use the most is the single keystroke allowing me to create a midi track using the next available midi output from the VST instrument selected. For example, let's say I have a VE pro instance that for the time being uses only 5 midi tracks but I want to add a 6th one. How do I easily add a midi track round to the 6th midi channel of an already existing VSTi track in Reaper?

I am sure this can be done, but it might take a script, and might not be possible just using just a custom action, looking at the actions I did not see a way to do it.
zappsunzorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 06:37 AM   #21
wjmwpg

Quote:
Hey guys!

I'm a complete noob when it comes to Reaper and I'm looking to switch over from Logic. I work primarily in midi and Vienna ensemble pro is at the core of my workflow.
I've tried re-creating a few things from my template in reaper but I'm hitting a wall and I'd really appreciate your help and insights!
You might get more action on this if you post it as a it's own thread in the newbieland section.
Old 03-03-2017, 05:03 PM   #22
vanhaze

Quote:
Hey guys!
How do I easily add a midi track round to the 6th midi channel of an already existing VSTi track in Reaper?

I guess Logic versus Reaper: 1 - 0 concerning this ..

Just did some brain farting and you could do it this way i think, although still not as fast as in Logic:

First things first:

- Make sure you have Reapack installed.
More info on Reapack here:
http://reaperblog.net/2016/06/how-to...on-for-reaper/

- Create a Custom Action, consisting of these 2 Actions:
"mpl_Send_selected_tracks_to_track_under_mouse_cur sor.lua"
"js_Autoincrement MIDI send channels of selected tracks.lua"

Assign this Custom Action to a choosen shortcut.

Now, we move on:

a) Select MIDI Channel 5 Track in Track Control Panel.
b) Execute Action: "Insert new Track"
c) Point your mouse onto the Vienna VSTi Track, in Track Control Panel.
d) Execute the created Custom Action, hitting the assigned shortcut.
Fill in "6", in the "Starting Channel" box.

Presto ! ( i hope 4 you).

I hope this works for you.
Altough maybe my explanation looks difficult, it is actually quite simple and pretty fast workflow, when you succesfully do this as explained.

However, I strongly believe your wish can be scripted, which would make for
an even faster workflow, Logic alike.
(You can do a script request in the appropiate forum section).

I am even quite stunned there seems to be no script atm for your wish,
altough what you wish for is quite logical and i can imagine many other people
would like to have this also (including me lol).

Warm Regards !
Old 03-07-2017, 02:19 AM   #23
dodobirds

Quote:
Originally Posted by zappsunzorn View Post
Welcome to the Reaper Forum!

You have an option to select the MIDI bus as well as the midi channel for the midi send and receive for the track. You can also make a track template with multiple tracks by selecting the tracks before saving the template. That way you can have all the midi tracks being sent to the instrument as well as any tracks being sent audio from that instrument. This can save tons of time once you have it set up and saved. For instance you can have " VE Pro bus one" and "VE Pro bus 2" as another.

I am sure this can be done, but it might take a script, and might not be possible just using just a custom action, looking at the actions I did not see a way to do it.
Hello and many thanks for your reply (and apologies for my being so late in mine). After some research and trial-and-error I finally managed to make the whole thing work thanks to your suggestion to look into MIDI busses so THANK YOU for this! Logic is a tad more straight forward when it comes to MIDI so it's going to take a bit of experimentation but I'm sure it's going to be worth it in the long run
Old 03-07-2017, 02:20 AM   #24
dodobirds

Quote:
You might get more action on this if you post it as a it's own thread in the newbieland section.
Will do that, many thanks
Old 03-07-2017, 02:22 AM   #25
dodobirds

Quote:
I guess Logic versus Reaper: 1 - 0 concerning this ..

Just did some brain farting and you could do it this way i think, although still not as fast as in Logic:

First things first:

- Make sure you have Reapack installed.
More info on Reapack here:
http://reaperblog.net/2016/06/how-to...on-for-reaper/

- Create a Custom Action, consisting of these 2 Actions:
"mpl_Send_selected_tracks_to_track_under_mouse_cur sor.lua"
"js_Autoincrement MIDI send channels of selected tracks.lua"

Assign this Custom Action to a choosen shortcut.

Now, we move on:

a) Select MIDI Channel 5 Track in Track Control Panel.
b) Execute Action: "Insert new Track"
c) Point your mouse onto the Vienna VSTi Track, in Track Control Panel.
d) Execute the created Custom Action, hitting the assigned shortcut.
Fill in "6", in the "Starting Channel" box.

Presto ! ( i hope 4 you).

I hope this works for you.
Altough maybe my explanation looks difficult, it is actually quite simple and pretty fast workflow, when you succesfully do this as explained.

However, I strongly believe your wish can be scripted, which would make for
an even faster workflow, Logic alike.
(You can do a script request in the appropiate forum section).

I am even quite stunned there seems to be no script atm for your wish,
altough what you wish for is quite logical and i can imagine many other people
would like to have this also (including me lol).

Warm Regards !
WOW!!! I don't know how to thank you!! Many MANY many thanks for this, I'll go try it out right now

PS: I'm LOVING your YT videos, great tips!!!!
Old 03-07-2017, 02:31 AM   #26
vanhaze

You're welcome !

I "see" many people like you, not wanting to create 16 channels of midi and audio for a multitimbral VSTi right away, after creating a multitimbral VSTi Track.

They just start to use it at first with just one sound.
Later on, they decide they need maybe one (or multiple sounds) more, from the VSTi.

Most tutorials i have seen, focus on the instant creation of multiple midi and audiotracks track for a multitimbral VSTi.

I am thinking of making a video, about the other workflow:
Explaining the needed audio and midi routing when you want to use 1 other sound (or more) from a multitimbral VSTi, later on in your production proces.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:36 AM   #27
wjmwpg

Quote:
Explaining the needed audio and midi routing when you want to use 1 other sound (or more) from a multitimbral VSTi, later on in your production proces.
+1 Ja ja ja ja!
Old 03-09-2017, 10:22 AM   #28
dodobirds

Quote:
You're welcome !

I "see" many people like you, not wanting to create 16 channels of midi and audio for a multitimbral VSTi right away, after creating a multitimbral VSTi Track.

They just start to use it at first with just one sound.
Later on, they decide they need maybe one (or multiple sounds) more, from the VSTi.

Most tutorials i have seen, focus on the instant creation of multiple midi and audiotracks track for a multitimbral VSTi.

YES PLEASE!!!! It would be VERY VERY much appreciated