Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-02-2017, 11:02 AM   #1
caesura
Human being with feelings

Default Crackling, crushed playback and red flashing transport window?

Hi folks,

Some time ago I had an issue with Reaper after going through failed hdd drives, new drives, then new(er) laptop and update to El Capitan.

I won't go into the ins and outs of that as it was quite a long thread and thanks to the help of some of the fine people on this forum we were able to locate the most likely cause of the problem as being the fact that my old interface Fast Track Pro couldn't update drivers for El Capitan (it worked fine on old laptop with Lion but not new(er) laptop with El Capitan).

So...I went out and bought a new Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 Audio Interface and whilst some sessions are fine and smooth on playback - for others I'm having issues with everything kind of crunching up and a bit of red flashing on the transport bar.

These are all sessions with a fair few VSTs and all play fine on the old laptop which would be lower spec than new(er) laptop.

I've heard of this happening before and generally it seems to be a buffering issue but I'm not 100% sure how I check and fix this, with that in mind I had a look in my Reaper Preferences - Audio - Device: and all I can see there is 512 and of course the sample rate (48,000)...looking at the Buffering window I have media buffer size 1200 which is says is default (and everything else in that window seems to match the default) so I'm assuming all is as it should be?

I've been googling away and checking the forums here and I saw a suggestion that it's worth looking at the performance meter and this is what I see there:

CPU: averaging steadily in the low-mid 50s
Disk Read: OB/s
Disk Write: OB/s
RAM Use: 515MB
15 FX: (averaging) 90% -115% CPU

Another odd thing is that one of my vst's isn't showing up when I try to insert it on new tracks but it's still present and configurable on tracks that it had previously been added to...I can also copy it from older tracks and paste into newer but still can't find it in the vst menu list...very odd...it's in my Audio folder with everything else so I would expect Reaper to be able to see it to give me the option to add it (especially if Reaper can access it on tracks where it was already - and remains - present).

But to add to the confusion when I mute tracks with this effect or remove it from tracks it makes no difference to the crunky sluggish playback and flashing transport bar.

And finally I've created a new session populated only with virtual instruments (minus the one mentioned above) and it's playing fine.

Sorry for all the details folks but I'd love to get this sorted and get back to making music as I was before.

Thanks in advance for any help.
caesura is offline   Reply With Quote