Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 03-25-2017, 10:31 AM   #1
jmarchuk
Human being with feelings

Default Can someone please explain how soloing works?

Hi. Still pretty new to Reaper as you may have guessed, and the solo function is extremely confusing to me. Sometimes I solo a track and I still hear several other tracks playing. Sometimes I try to exclusive solo the track and it automatically puts it on a regular solo, so I guess there's circumstances where a track can't be exclusive soloed? I haven't once been able to hear a single track by itself without muting every other track and it's very frustrating.
jmarchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 10:47 AM   #2
Lokasenna
Human being with feelings

The default behavior, "Solo in place", includes the routing for that track; that is, you'll hear everything that feeds into the track and everything it's feeding out to.

Say your kick goes out to the drum folder, and is also sent to reverb and parallel compression buses like this:

Master
--Reverb <-- send from Kick
--Parallel <-- send from Kick
--Drums
----Kick
----Snare
----Toms
----etc

a) Solo the Kick track - you'll hear the kick as it comes through drum bus, the kick's reverb, and the kick coming through your parallel compression.

b) Solo the Reverb track - you'll hear ONLY the kick's reverb.

If you've also got the bass guitar being sent to the kick track as a sidechain (I don't know why you would, but just pretend), soloing the kick will still have the sidechain signal active so you can hear the "final" kick sound. To hear the kick without the sidechain, you would also have to mute the bass track.

- "Exclusive Solo" just means "Solo this track, and turn off anything that else that's currently Soloed". You would use it, for example, to A/B two different tracks, or flip through each track on its own, etc.

- "Solo defeat" will make sure a track is always active, even when others are in Solo. Maybe you want the vocals to be on while you work on the other instrument groups - "Solo defeat" the vocal track, and then you can solo the Drum bus, or the Guitar bus, etc, and you'll hear only the Soloed track + the vocals.

- "Solo (ignore routing)" will mute the soloed track's sends. In the example above, you would only hear the kick coming out via the drum folder.

I don't think there's a way to solo a track without including whatever it's receiving, aside from muting those tracks.

Last edited by Lokasenna; 03-25-2017 at 10:53 AM.
Lokasenna is offline   Reply With Quote