Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER for macOS

Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 AM   #1
obijohn
Human being with feelings

Default ReaMote can't do this. Any thoughts?

There are a couple of Windows-only plugins that I'd like to be able to use. The ideal solution would be for me to run Reaper on the Mac and have it control an instance of the Windows plugin remotely. My first thought was to use VirtualBox to run Windows in a virtual machine, and use ReaMote. I successfully set this up to the point that ReaMote was able to see both sessions. But it turns out this doesn't work for the Windows-only plugins because you have to have them installed on both the ReaMote slave AND host. And obviously, I can't install the Windows-only plugins on the Mac side.

After a bunch of searching for solutions, it looks like I will have to use something like ipMIDI to control the plugin on the Windows guest via the Mac host, and AudioPort Universal to transfer the audio back to the Mac host. But this seems like an awfully convoluted setup to achieve what I want to do.

Has anyone tried anything similar or had any success in doing something like this?
Old 03-03-2010, 12:38 PM   #2
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

I did mess with stuff like this when I first switched to OSX but soon realised that for me it is more efficient to find native OSX alternatives to the stuff I used in XP.

However, the easiest way I found was to use Soundflower to send audio to/from PC Reaper running under wine. I'm not very good at configuring wine so I set Soundflower to be my os default audio "card" and took it from there. Works but is a bit of a hassle.

This might all change if this baby ever flies http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...567472#3567472 I've tried the binary version with no sucess but for some people it seems to work ok.

Actually, a few night ago I started building wacvst from source (which seems to be the solution if it doesn't work "out of the box") but then realised - hey, I've already found OSX alternatives to the stuff I used to run under XP so why should I do this?

Regards,
- Jonas
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 02:27 PM   #3
obijohn

Now I'm experimenting with ReaStream, which should do what I need in theory. I've got Mac Reaper set up to use ReaStream to send midi to the IP of my VirtualBox Windows Reaper. I've got Win Reaper set up to use ReaStream on a track to receive. VirtualBox is getting the data, because I see the network icon lights in the VirtaulBox window flash every time Mac Reaper sends midi data... but Win Reaper isn't getting the signals for some reason.

If anyone has successfully set this up before, I'd love some pointers.
Old 03-03-2010, 02:38 PM   #4
obijohn

Hmm, well evidently ReaStream requires the Identifiers to match. Now the Win Reaper is getting the midi, but I'm stuck trying to get the audio back to the Mac Reaper. Identifiers are set ok, the VU meter on the ReaStream audio send is pumping away, but nothing on the Mac Reaper track for the receive of the audio.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:15 PM   #5
bennals

I really hope you have success with this. I have PC Reaper running in Wine on my machine too but there are many Win plugs that don't run (or run well) under Wine. The developer of wac-vst seems to only have very limited time for it's development (fair enough) and there appears to be problems with running it in Reaper at this stage as well. Fingers crossed though.

Just out of interest, have you done any testing on the i/o latency of Virtual Box. I've tried Parallels and it's woeful. I'd try Virtual Box myself but won't have time to do it for a month or so.

Bill.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:28 PM   #6
EricM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obijohn View Post
Hmm, well evidently ReaStream requires the Identifiers to match. Now the Win Reaper is getting the midi, but I'm stuck trying to get the audio back to the Mac Reaper. Identifiers are set ok, the VU meter on the ReaStream audio send is pumping away, but nothing on the Mac Reaper track for the receive of the audio.
Actually I think you just confirmed this observation:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=50310#2

Please test some more and post in that topic as well if you
cannot get the ReaStream to receive signal on Leopard.
EricM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:16 AM   #7
obijohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricM View Post
Actually I think you just confirmed this observation:

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=50310#2

Please test some more and post in that topic as well if you
cannot get the ReaStream to receive signal on Leopard.
I'm running Snow Leopard. It's pretty frustrating because I am this close to getting it to work. I just can't get the Mac Reaper to receive the audio being sent by the Win Reaper. I will test sending midi from Win Reaper as well, and try some other settings then post a follow up.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

I'm also following this thread closely, please post whatever you find out

Regards,
- Jonas
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
obijohn

OK, I have now confirmed that this is a bug with ReaStream on OS X. Here's what I did to confirm that.

I used VirtualBox for the second instance of Reaper running on Windows. It is set up with "host only networking" and contains a Windows XP installation within VirtualBox. The host interface is assigned an IP of 192.168.56.1, the guest interface has an IP of 192.168.56.2. On the host side, Reaper has two tracks. The first track has one ReaStream with an id of "midi" and set to send audio/midi to 192.168.56.2 but with 0 audio tracks (so only midi data is sent). The second track has one ReaStream with an id of "audio" and set to receive. On the guest/VirtualBox side, Reaper has one track with 3 plugins. The first is ReaStream, set to receive, with an id of "midi". The second is an instrument (in my case I used the 4Front piano since it is small and resource lean). The third is another ReaStream set to send to 192.168.56.1, with an id of "audio".

When running Snow Leopard as the host, the midi data is correctly received by Reaper running in Windows inside Virtualbox. On the last ReaStream plugin, which is supposed to be sending audio back to the host, the vu meter is active while it is receiving the midi data from the host showing that it is processing audio. The host does not receive this audio, however.

Now, to confirm that this is an issue with the OS X version of Reaper, I booted into Windows XP (this is a dual-boot machine) and ran VirtualBox there with the exact same setup, including using the same virtual hd with Windows XP so that everything was the same on the guest side (which meant I had Windows XP running inside VirtualBox on a Windows XP host). This time, the host Reaper does indeed receive the audio from the VirtualBox guest Reaper.

The only difference between the two setups is that one used OS X as the host and the other used Windows XP as the host.

Since a couple of other users have reported not being able to send data (midi or audio) to an instance of Reaper on OS X via ReaStream, I am confident that this is a bug. Whether it is in the ReaStream code or the Reaper code, I'm not sure.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:16 AM   #10
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

And on a related note I just got wacvst up and running so now I can host Windows VST:s directly in Mac Reaper.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...216124#4216124

As soon as I fins the time I'll try to make a step by step instruction how I got it working.

(For some Wacvst seems to work right off the .dmg but when it doesn't it's a bit of a pita to get it right, but thanks to Retroware I now think I know how to.)

Regards,
- Jonas

A few pics:

... and notice that even presets work and that some plug-in have their corrct names, like this my favourite reverb:

Old 08-24-2010, 02:16 PM   #11
bennals

That's great news Jonas! The struggle that some have had on KVR has put me off trying. Are you running it on Leopard or Snow?

Bill.
Old 08-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #12
Jonas_Eriksson_Swe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennals View Post
That's great news Jonas! The struggle that some have had on KVR has put me off trying. Are you running it on Leopard or Snow?

Bill.
I'm on Leopard but I'm pretty sure it'll work on Snow as well. It seems that for some Wacvst works right out of the box (well, out of the .dmg : ), while for others it takes *a lot* of work to get it up and running.

Let's just say I was one of the others.

But now that I've built Wine from source, downloaded the Steinberg VST SDK and built dssi-vst-server and finally built Wacvst it actually works!

I'll be putting together a step-by-step instruction in a couple of days if you're interested in giving it a go.

Regards,
- Jonas
Old 08-25-2010, 02:27 PM   #13
bennals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas_Eriksson_Swe View Post

I'll be putting together a step-by-step instruction in a couple of days if you're interested in giving it a go.

Regards,
- Jonas
Great! Looking forward to it.

Bill.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:47 PM   #14
buckman

Obijohn, did you ever get this working with Reastream?

Im a Macbook Pro Reaper user, but use Parallels for XP using Soundforge and maybe im thinking some Chainer VST's on the PC side?

I've never used Reastream or rearoute and wondered how I can get my one Macbook Pro to run both Mac Reaper and control MIDI to the Windows XP side to use Windows VST's and record them back to the Mac Reaper?

Is this what you were trying to do?
buckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #15
peanutismint

It's 2013 and I'm still trying to get MIDI from PC>Mac via ReaStream :-) Should I give up??
peanutismint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:19 AM   #16
dreamtuned

Will this work on Sierra?
dreamtuned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:22 AM   #17
peanutismint

Only one way to find out...! :-)
peanutismint is offline   Reply With Quote