Old 08-27-2014, 01:32 PM   #41
faun2500
Human being with feelings

I have simplon and use it often. I also have Ozone 5 advanced and use it on every single sound/mix/track. Can't rate it highly enough. I have tried many, many plugins over the last 15-20 years and when i find something I like I stick with it.

Fabfilter looks great too though. I just choose Izotope also because I use Alloy 2, Ozone Advanced, Iris & Trash 2.

(fanboi)

http://bit.ly/free-sample-packs- Totally Free High Quality Sample Packs
faun2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 01:42 PM   #42
FKAB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest The Wordsmith View Post
Just watched the video for Pro-Q 2. I don't know what to say. Absolutely incredible. Worth noting that all their videos use Reaper as the host. I'm so impressed with Fab Filter. Here's the video link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYTCQeggyzo
Dan's incredibly well made videos won't do sales any harm!
FKAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:17 PM   #43
grinder

Firstly let me say I have many many paid plugins and no free ones except those that come with Reaper. These include UAD 2 and Ozone 5 and the whole of Nomad Factory (when it does install properly) and I paid top dollar when I brought the large pack etc.
They all work well and no complaints here, that said.
The biggest best most awesome improvement to my sound was when I plucked up the courage to spend a few thousand dollars on audio treatment for my rooms.
Sound quality starts at the recording stage and I found that out for real. All the rest is just trying to improve something that is inadequate if you record in a bad space.
My recommendation if you are going to be in audio a long time and you are young think long term. Find a room, build a room, kit it out , make the acoustic insulation yourself if need be then after that buy your plugins.
Failing that buy or make enough movable panels to place around your recording space i.e. a person or a speaker Mic etc.

Grinder
grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:51 PM   #44
thequietroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
You can buy Pro-Q individually if you like $199, here is the link
http://www.fabfilter.com/shop/

I'd like to get some of there plugins too, i've watched quite a few of there vids, but i can't justify the outlay atm.

Cheers
168 at audiodeluxe.com
thequietroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #45
Wolffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Thanks for the info! I sent an email to the site and this is the response:

Hi Jeff

The eq is not available separately; the cheapest option is to buy the track essentials bundle.

Cheers
Jeroen

Hmmm, sounds like your mixing up FabFilter with Toneboosters !

The "Track Essentials" bundle is a Toneboosters pack and Jeroen is the guy who writes the ToneBoosters plugins, Jeroen Breebaart i believe.

I would highly recommend the Track Essentials pack, its dirt cheap for what you get and the TBequalizer has some great features, m/s some pultec type curves etc and is just damn good and worth the pack price alone.

hth's

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 02:54 PM   #46
Dannii

Location: Adelaide, South Australia (originally from Geelong)

Quote:
Originally Posted by grinder View Post
Firstly let me say I have many many paid plugins and no free ones except those that come with Reaper. These include UAD 2 and Ozone 5 and the whole of Nomad Factory (when it does install properly) and I paid top dollar when I brought the large pack etc.
They all work well and no complaints here, that said.
The biggest best most awesome improvement to my sound was when I plucked up the courage to spend a few thousand dollars on audio treatment for my rooms.
Sound quality starts at the recording stage and I found that out for real. All the rest is just trying to improve something that is inadequate if you record in a bad space.
My recommendation if you are going to be in audio a long time and you are young think long term. Find a room, build a room, kit it out , make the acoustic insulation yourself if need be then after that buy your plugins.
Failing that buy or make enough movable panels to place around your recording space i.e. a person or a speaker Mic etc.

Grinder
+100.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #47
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by faun2500 View Post
I have simplon and use it often. I also have Ozone 5 advanced and use it on every single sound/mix/track. Can't rate it highly enough. I have tried many, many plugins over the last 15-20 years and when i find something I like I stick with it.

Fabfilter looks great too though. I just choose Izotope also because I use Alloy 2, Ozone Advanced, Iris & Trash 2.

(fanboi)
I have to admit I'm a bit of an iZotope fan too (not without good reason). Although I've 'only' got O5 Advanced and RX2 Advanced.

Still going to try out the FabFilter Demos though but it is a lot of money for me to spend on tools that I believe I already have covered adequately..... That video is what is compelling me to at least give them a shot.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:51 PM   #48
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
Hmmm, sounds like your mixing up FabFilter with Toneboosters !
Yep! I did! That's what I get for working on little sleep... thanks for pointing that out!
Old 08-29-2014, 02:53 PM   #49
lxm

OMFG is plugin is incredible! GO BUY IT! Read the manual on all the shortcuts and ure life will change....
lxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:31 PM   #50
The Telenator
Banned

Ah, alas, I have so many very excellent plugins that cover practically every function FabFilter offers, so I think I must pass. The price is questionable to me as well, though they are in no way the only high-priced collection out there still today.

I think they are the most modern-looking of any plugins I've ever seen. Very colourful, aren't they?

If I hadn't already gone with ToneBoosters and for top-end plugins Ozone 5 Advanced and a small few others, and I could do it all over again, I might choose some bundle of these. I have never heard one bad word of any of them. They seem quite loved by their users, and I believe what I've heard. In certain ways, though, there are things I prefer about the Ozone plugins I have. Perhaps my ears have just grown accustomed, or I'm used to how they respond to settings I make.
The Telenator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:37 PM   #51
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Telenator View Post
Ah, alas, I have so many very excellent plugins that cover practically every function FabFilter offers, so I think I must pass. The price is questionable to me as well, though they are in no way the only high-priced collection out there still today.

I think they are the most modern-looking of any plugins I've ever seen. Very colourful, aren't they?

If I hadn't already gone with ToneBoosters and for top-end plugins Ozone 5 Advanced and a small few others, and I could do it all over again, I might choose some bundle of these. I have never heard one bad word of any of them. They seem quite loved by their users, and I believe what I've heard. In certain ways, though, there are things I prefer about the Ozone plugins I have. Perhaps my ears have just grown accustomed, or I'm used to how they respond to settings I make.
Pretty much sums up my thoughts exactly.
Old 08-29-2014, 04:47 PM   #52
bluzkat

Cool, more FabFilter for me!!!

Old 08-29-2014, 04:52 PM   #53
lxm

At least TRY it first fellas!
Old 08-29-2014, 05:02 PM   #54
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxm View Post
At least TRY it first fellas!
I'm still contemplating that. The problem is, I can't afford it at the moment and if I try it, I'll probably want it.
Double glazed windows for my studio are more important at the moment though... and I really want to keep focused on my hardware analog mega-sequencer project. Those $$ would buy me a lot of components for that project.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #55
bluzkat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaDave View Post
... I'll probably want it.
Yes you will!!

I have that problem when I go to the guitar store... if I start playing one, there's a real good chance its going home with me.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #56
Dannii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluzkat View Post
Yes you will!!

I have that problem when I go to the guitar store... if I start playing one, there's a real good chance its going home with me.

Sounds like you and I have a similar 'problem'
I keep telling myself the question is 'do I NEED it?' not 'do I WANT it?' but I keep disagreeing with myself!!
For me though, it is keyboards more than guitars, especially vintage analog ones.... oh, and sometimes plugins.

My credit card and my refrigerator keep trying to convince me that it is a question of NEED rather than WANT too... but my credit card is actually a VISA debit card so it has more power over the decisions than my refrigerator. If the fridge is empty I can always eat tinned tuna and two minute noodles!!
Old 08-30-2014, 02:51 PM   #57
The Telenator
Banned

Can someone confirm or deny? I have heard this at least two times now but don't know if there is any truth at all to it.

Don't know about the new v2 of it, but I have heard that Pro Q distorts when the level exceeds 0 dB internally.

This is one of those 'little' problems that also comes up with some of the software clones of famous hardware gear: they sound just like the expensive hardware they mimic ... until you turn them up a few dB. Thinking of some of those pricey Oxford clones that people pay arms and legs for and sell off their kidneys. Soon as you goose them some they don't sound anything like the hardware.

Pro Q distorts? How about v2 -- anyone check it?
Old 08-30-2014, 02:54 PM   #58
lxm

Auto Gain

Spectum grab

96DB curves

Linear Phase mode

Q/gain linking

Keyboard shortcuts like a mofo!

Totally transparent

Freeze waveform

*LOVE*
Old 08-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #59
karbomusic

Quote:

Don't know about the new v2 of it, but I have heard that Pro Q distorts when the level exceeds 0 dB internally.
I can't seem to repro that but could be my ignorance, took a track that was already at -1, set it to +24 then added 30dB of EQ. Once I disabled the mute feature in reaper and reduced levels post EQ, I didn't notice any problem but I don't have time to go into nulling and critical testing.

There is a default and a "clean" setting but can't remember it's definition. Possibly an analog vs digital behavior, don't quote me. I think you guys should pull it down and give it a whirl, not that I think you should use it, it's just one of those plugs where its a bit useless to explain unless you are touching it and you might love or hate it.
Old 08-30-2014, 03:37 PM   #60
The Telenator
Banned

You would hear this sort of thing if it could be happening.

They fixed or added so many things in v2 that -- if it was the case before -- I'll bet they fixed that too.

heh, heh ... this is the first time in some months I am wishing I didn't have so many great plugins already.
Old 08-31-2014, 12:31 AM   #61
PerunZG

Quote:
Originally Posted by karbomusic View Post
...and you might love or hate it.
You meant "...and you might love it or love it.", no?

LXM, you forgot to mention the new virtual keyboard and the ability to pick the exact frequency of a particular tone!
Old 08-31-2014, 09:39 PM   #62
Aesis

I would give the edge to fabfilter, their tools are a bit more versatile and musical in that sense.

Saturn is a very nice plug in, don't forget about that.

Izotope alloy is not bad either though.
Aesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 01:01 PM   #63
The Telenator
Banned

This has been a very helpful thread for me, because I have overlooked FabFilter products for a long time. I am taking a rather close look at their bundles now. I do like what I am learning and am impressed by many features.

Could someone compare the ToneBooster collection, plugin for plugin, with the same type in the FabFilter collection? I see that FabFilter have a few extra added features here and there, which is quite nice, but how about performance specs and fidelity? Way more expensive than anything by TB, are they a little better, much better, that much better? Love to hear more on this. Offering the TB plugins because I am very familiar with them and use.
Old 09-01-2014, 01:11 PM   #64
karbomusic

Quote:
Could someone compare the ToneBooster collection, plugin for plugin, with the same type in the FabFilter collection?
I have both, the Fabfilter EQ for example uses a few more CPU cycles if I remember. I have not done that much comparison otherwise though.
Old 09-02-2014, 07:05 AM   #65
alex1073

Quote:
This has been a very helpful thread for me, because I have overlooked FabFilter products for a long time. I am taking a rather close look at their bundles now. I do like what I am learning and am impressed by many features.

Could someone compare the ToneBooster collection, plugin for plugin, with the same type in the FabFilter collection? I see that FabFilter have a few extra added features here and there, which is quite nice, but how about performance specs and fidelity? Way more expensive than anything by TB, are they a little better, much better, that much better? Love to hear more on this. Offering the TB plugins because I am very familiar with them and use.
The best advice I can give you is - try them. I decided to go with DMGAudio but if I didn't it would be FF (it's kinda stupid to buy both because in both cases as you buy more plugs the price drops). Both FF and DMG have fully functional 30 days trial. Those plugs simply don't compare with anything (O.K. they do, but with plugs in that price range and what also differs those two companies from the others is the copy protection that is not annoying in any way, you can install the plugs on as many computers as you like as long they are yours and great customer support). Again, I would say, the most important thing would be to grab one of those eqs (everything else is great, but those eqs simply don't have cheaper alternatives). I had a $100 rule for plugs, before those plugs. I love TB but decided to go with singles, I'll probably have Bus Tools bundle at the end and pay for it more than I would if I bought the bundle but I don't want to pile the plugs up only because they are affordable). I also respect DDMF. But when I compared those eqs, together with ReaEQ and lot of others to DMG Audio (and FF, O.K. not directly, but I worked a lot with them in other studios so I know them really good),the difference was like night and day. With Ozone 5 Advanced (and TB Barricade), you have limiters covered (I would add Voxengo Elephant, PSP Xenon and in case you become FF user, ProL, but not necessarily). I bet that you have a nice collection of comps and again Ozone 5 comp is fine and TB comps are really nice also (for me TheGlue (not my favorite 2 buss comp, but it will never let you down and everybody's used to what it does - it (SSL G series bus comp) is on almost every song for a very long time, maybe even not as a main 2 bus comp.... It also handles other busses and single track very nicely), Molot, ReaComp, DC8C (and DC1A), DLM SixtyFive and sKnote GTS-39 ... even without Compassion will do the work. Harmonic exciters, stereo enhancers etc are not so important, imo. My point would be - one great eq is well worth spending money on. So, since you asked how better, I'd say: "That much better".

Cheers,
Alex

Just an afterthought - if you don't want to buy the FF bundle and do not plan on becoming a FF user and slowly buying plugs and expanding the collection, I'd recommand this - EQuick is $124, Equality $165 (Equality/EQuick bundle is $200 and you can buy any of them first and later add the other one for the difference in price). Take a look at the specs. Together, they can do more than ProQ (actually, except for the limited number of bands, Equality alone can do pretty much everything that Pro Q can (and has gain/q interaction and more modes) but doesn't have as good workflow for, say m/s as ProQ while OTOH EQuick is much quicker for such things, but not as feature rich as ProQ). My guess is that the new ProQ could be compared with Equilibrium which costs 289$ as a single (or maybe not - I said that because of the keyboard that somebody mentioned as a new ProQ feature, but some other things like gain/q interaction (new ProQ feature again) is something that Equality already had and I think that Equilibrium is more featured than the new ProQ (it's really a monster, but the question is if everybody needs all that).

So, back to the EQuick - it's really a great value for the money and if you read the specs it's capable of handling everything from single channels (btw, both EQuick and EQuality in digital mode have the cpu usage like ReaEq) to 2 buss. It also has the LP mode. Now, I like Equality better (especially because of the analog phase mode which is great and it also has digital+ mode that handles ultra heights better than the digital mode (sometimes I think it can be heard and sometimes I don't and maybe it even depends on the source). Finally, it was interesting for me to find out that a couple of mastering houses with really expensive gear and rooms relied on EQuick solely (and they could for sure buy any eq plug.

Last edited by alex1073; 09-02-2014 at 11:12 AM.
alex1073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #66
novaburst

Those DMGs look hot.

Im loving the sound that izotope gives me, if I get the itch for a new sound may give DMG a try.

But for now its izotope all the way.
novaburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 05:13 PM   #67
lxm

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerunZG View Post
You meant "...and you might love it or love it.", no?

LXM, you forgot to mention the new virtual keyboard and the ability to pick the exact frequency of a particular tone!
Yesirrr what a dummy I am. Thats huge for bass EQ'ing bass players. Im still madly in love with this EQ. I dont use anything else except if I want color. I almost never do.
Old 09-03-2014, 11:31 AM   #68
The Telenator
Banned

Seems like any time the FabFilter plugins are brought up that DMG soon enters the conversation. Anyhow, I'll be trying out few FabFilter plugins over the next week or so. I see some very interesting features on the ones I've seen.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:06 PM   #69
alex1073

Quote:
Seems like any time the FabFilter plugins are brought up that DMG soon enters the conversation. Anyhow, I'll be trying out few FabFilter plugins over the next week or so. I see some very interesting features on the ones I've seen.
Well they're of similar (great quality), great business model etc. Luckily this is not Gearslutz - by now we would have Ozone 5 vs FF vs DMG thread (+ any other company somebody likes and is sure is the best (and all the others are crap)

Cheers,
Alex
Old 09-03-2014, 03:37 PM   #70
novaburst

Quote:
Ha ha here is a little something I found, not sure if he is doing the plugin justice but you may like he has some good points.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXwNrhNVeDc

What got me is the DAW he is using I here it is the best
novaburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 03:59 PM   #71
The Telenator
Banned

Found a thread at KVR also that says DMG are pro plugins while FabFilter are not ... or something like that. Yeah, DMG have more knobs on them. That must be the reason.

It gets hot about DMG v. FabFilter starting page 16 or thereabouts:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...p?f=6&t=418942
Old 09-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #72
alex1073

Quote:
Found a thread at KVR also that says DMG are pro plugins while FabFilter are not ... or something like that. Yeah, DMG have more knobs on them. That must be the reason.

It gets hot about DMG v. FabFilter starting page 16 or thereabouts:

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...p?f=6&t=418942

They don't know what they're talking about - EQuick doesn't have knobs at all
Old 09-03-2014, 10:52 PM   #73
Giano
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerunZG View Post
Okay, okay. I also use Fabfilter plugs, I admit.

Since people already mentioned EQ, limiting, compression and other plugins, I can just add that amount of possibilities and flexibility their modulation implementation gives (in their creative plugins) is just astounding.

Also of note is extremely low CPU consumption and very low latency - perfect companions to Reaper!

Oh, there are no annoying copy protection schemes either!
CPU consumption and very low latency - some very important information !

So you can insert these plugins when tracking, can´t you ?

Almost every track I have has ReaEQ and ReaComp inserted without any lateny or CPU issues.

Last edited by Giano; 09-03-2014 at 11:32 PM.
Giano is offline   Reply With Quote