Old 06-08-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
EpicSounds
Human being with feelings

Default Quneo with REAPER 4

Hey guys
I'm excited for my Quneo to arrive in a couple days and dig into what it can do, seems pretty damn capable!

Are there any REAPER users enjoying the Quneo? Any tips? Should I use OSC or another protocol?

Also, I was thinking I should get some sort of stand to make finger-drumming a little easier and avoid shaking everything on the desk. Maybe a cheap snare stand
Old 06-10-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
edkilp

Hi there. Not sure about OSC or protocols, but I've been using my HR-16 drum machine and I modified a camcorder tripod to sit it on. Works a lot better than the snare stand I used years ago, because I can adjust angle and I can also extend the legs as well as the telescopic feature if I feel like beatin on it while standing. I just mounted a piece of wood to the stand and wrapped tape around it to keep it still. I managed to knock the whole thing over twice and is stayed put so I'm calling it a success! I'm on my phone right now and having trouble uploading a pic. But trust me, it's pretty slick!

Edward
edkilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
plamuk

got the quneo here. there hasn't been much reaper development for the quneo. assigning midi ccs to parameters is agonizingly frustrating because REAPER does not allow you to manually map ccs. instead, you must use the learn window, which will flicker like a bastard as you try to grab the right cc from the stream of incoming position, aftertouch, and note data from the quneo. darkstar has a js plugin that should help.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=114866

great controller, though. i hope it becomes more tightly integrated into reaper ... i just don't know if i'm the guy to do it. the quneo preset editor is kind of a pita, as well.
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
EpicSounds

Quneo arrived this afternoon and it is as much fun as it is frustrating.
But it feels like I'm making some progress.

Random tips:
In the editor enter value of -1 to set that function to off. For example, disabling pressure on a pad or disabling note on/off for slider.

In Geist, having all pads set to channel 10 will give you access to all the pads for all engines. Use bank select to cycle through.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by nym View Post
got the quneo here. there hasn't been much reaper development for the quneo. assigning midi ccs to parameters is agonizingly frustrating because REAPER does not allow you to manually map ccs. instead, you must use the learn window, which will flicker like a bastard as you try to grab the right cc from the stream of incoming position, aftertouch, and note data from the quneo. darkstar has a js plugin that should help.

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=114866

great controller, though. i hope it becomes more tightly integrated into reaper ... i just don't know if i'm the guy to do it. the quneo preset editor is kind of a pita, as well.
Answer is Coma mode on Quneo - Push and hold Mode button. pad corners activate (Clockwise from Top Left) note, pressure, x axis and Y axis.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
wakkaman

Hello! I'm strongly considering getting a Quneo too.

How is your experience been so far?

I want to use it as an all round potable solution for reaper and plugin control and of course for some creative real time automation!

My only point of doubt is.. i wonder if the sliders on the Quneo are precise enough versus a physical knob or fader , if you want to boost the volume in the mixer by 2db or something.
have you guys tried that?

cheers!
wakkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 07:47 AM   #7
plamuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
Answer is Coma mode on Quneo - Push and hold Mode button. pad corners activate (Clockwise from Top Left) note, pressure, x axis and Y axis.
thanks!!!
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #8
EpicSounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakkaman View Post
Hello! I'm strongly considering getting a Quneo too.

How is your experience been so far?

I want to use it as an all round potable solution for reaper and plugin control and of course for some creative real time automation!

My only point of doubt is.. i wonder if the sliders on the Quneo are precise enough versus a physical knob or fader , if you want to boost the volume in the mixer by 2db or something.
have you guys tried that?

cheers!
Well, I'm still figuring it out. It's an advanced controller with advanced features. I've got a lot of reading to do, online there's surprisingly little info but I know there are tons of users.

Right now I'm just tweaking settings one at a time and seeing what the result is. You can use the Log function in ReaControlMIDI to see what is being sent from the controller.

Pads feel good (hard smooth feel, not soft rubbery), construction is solid. Wish there was a right-angle USB or recessed jack so the plug doesn't stick out.

I'm mostly using it to control FXpansion Geist inside of REAPER but it is working ok with other virtual instruments.

I tried it in Ableton Live Lite yesterday and things like transport, and clip playback worked right away. I don't want to learn another DAW though.

Using it for mix automation, I just think it's the wrong sort of controller for that, try a Faderport or Alphatrack. But for filter sweeps and delay throws I think it should be fine.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:00 PM   #9
spocken81

Default Enhanced note mode?

Hi!

I'm considering a quneo, but I wonder if enhanced note mode is working in Reaper or do you have to have Ableton Live for that?

Also I would like to know what your feelings are about it together with Reaper now that you've had it running for a while.

Thanks!
spocken81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 06:51 AM   #10
Taika-Kim

To revive an old thread: I just began building a live set, and thus far the Quneo is working like a charm. You can get pretty creative with it, and it feels really responsive.

The controls are not super accurate so what they output will fluctuate a little, but surprisingly the leds help quite a lot if you need to set like an EQ band to a certain-ish value just visually without seeing the plugin interface.

Next I will have to see how to control Reaper interface controls with it, and if it's possible simultaneously with the plugin controls. Can't see why not, but I have no experience in controlling Reaper with outboard MIDI...
Taika-Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 10:54 AM   #11
EpicSounds

keep us updated, my Quneo is gathering dust and I haven't used it in a long time. That may change when I get Playtime on my mac
http://reaperblog.net/2014/11/playti...n-begging-for/
Old 04-11-2015, 01:34 PM   #12
mikeroephonics

I've had mine for a few years. I really enjoy it. I like to use the Quneo's bottom-left vertical sliders to control the ADSR amp envelopes for Omnisphere & Trilian. Having persistent LED feedback on the sliders is great for eyeballing the current state of whichever parameter it's linked to.

Regarding the Quneo editor, I find it very easy to use. I'm not sure why some people don't like it, but I'm sure they have good reasons.
Old 04-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #13
EpicSounds

I just found the editor to be very repetitive and annoying to do everything 16 times. Just don't have a lot of patience now that I have kids.

I need to revisit my controller situation. I want to get another BCF2000, I have a Nocturn keyboard and a Quneo. Need to be more effective with all of them.