Old 03-26-2015, 01:58 PM   #41
tgraph
Human being with feelings

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
sure the mid gets the most pushed down because there is the most energy. its RMS compression, that works in another way than normal compression.

and because of that you cant really say, how much gain reduction there is. gain reduction measures the peak reduction. there is no measurement for RMS reduction, because its not gain.

you have to trust your ears on that matter. and you dont need to care, because you can measure the RMS reduction for example with bx_meter or TT-meter. the peaks you catch with a brickwall limter after Reacomp. that doesnt do that much to the sound, its for safety.

to measure what goes on after Reacomp and before the last limiter I put Span in between and can see, what the brickwall limiter is doing or has to deal with. and at that stage I have in really loud parts 2.5 db at most above 0db, that the brickwall limiter catches away. but that is for the really very loud parts, which are seldom. and that with an average RMS value of -12db weighted.
"trust my ears" ???? thanks
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 03:30 PM   #42
Jeffsounds

Hmmmmm... with all these additions we may need someone to program a new compressor based on Reacomp...

The REA-ASHCAT_IT compressor!
Old 03-26-2015, 06:51 PM   #43
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Hmmmmm... with all these additions we may need someone to program a new compressor based on Reacomp...

Oh, you're giving me too much credit! But if you're going to give me credit, I'd prefer you spell my name correctly. LT, for Lorenzo's Tractor.
ashcat_lt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 09:54 PM   #44
Jeffsounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Oh, you're giving me too much credit! But if you're going to give me credit, I'd prefer you spell my name correctly. LT, for Lorenzo's Tractor.
Wow! That sure looked like an 'i' to me but apologies and I stand corrected! LT it is!!!
Old 03-27-2015, 07:25 AM   #45
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffsounds View Post
Wow! That sure looked like an 'i' to me but apologies and I stand corrected! LT it is!!!
Lower case l looks a lot like upper case I. I get "it" all the time.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #46
tgraph

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteaxxxe View Post
to measure what goes on after Reacomp and before the last limiter I put Span in between and can see, what the brickwall limiter is doing or has to deal with. and at that stage I have in really loud parts 2.5 db at most above 0db, that the brickwall limiter catches away. but that is for the really very loud parts, which are seldom. and that with an average RMS value of -12db weighted.
I wondered if you ever saw this tiny isp peak meter: https://vladgsound.wordpress.com/201...and-few-tests/
tgraph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 11:40 AM   #47
mamazai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
Yeah, it's almost scary. If the mix itself is already pretty well sorted, it really just smooths everything out.

Here's some screenshots from the thing I mixed today. This is a louder section of the song, and it really doesn't look like they're doing much, but that's kind of the point. The mix itself has already handled most of the dynamics, and there are similar arrangements on the vocals and drum bus, a guitar amps and saturators and relatively responsible performances. This chain is just kind of polishing and finishing.
Cool tips thanks. Firts pic vocal, second pic drum bus and third pic amp..am I wrong ?
mamazai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2018, 02:56 PM   #48
ashcat_lt

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamazai View Post
Cool tips thanks. Firts pic vocal, second pic drum bus and third pic amp..am I wrong ?
Nah. Those three comps were in series on the Master. Slow faster fastest. Each a little harder but at a higher threshold. Don't remember what it was from. I might regret it now, and don't much use that arrangement anymore. Nowadays it's mostly just the first really slow one with preemphasis/deemphasis from ReaEQ on either side followed by a saturator.

Also
Quote:

I actually did that in LT_Comp. I've also got a feature request for Longer PreComp (and RMS), but it hasn't gotten much traction.
Old 11-18-2023, 02:35 AM   #49
smandrap

Necroposting i know... But the stuff in this thread is worth keeping alive. Just tried the reacomp trick and my jaw dropped.