Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Q&A, Tips, Tricks and Howto

Old 07-19-2016, 12:28 PM   #1
captainjc
Human being with feelings

Default Help Creative Thinkers! A better way for a momentary "unmute" button...

I'd like to be able to setup a momentary "unmute" button on my (querty) keyboard for tracks. So basically, you would hear nothing from the track while playing unless you hold down the button. Press it and you'd hear whatever audio is on it. Release it and you'd hear nothing again. I would use it to "play" a track rhythmically while live-mixing. Ideally it also wouldn't make a clicking noise like the standard mute function sometimes does (I'd imagine this could be accomplished with a few milliseconds fade-in/out).

Here's how I thought to set it up, but it's pretty convoluted (and takes too long to setup on a track). I haven't been using Reaper that long, so I'm sure there's a better way.

1) Setup Reagate on the track to be controlled
2) Set detector input to Auxillary Input L+R.
3) Set attack and decay to roughly 3 ms (to avoid click)
4) Setup an virtual instrument with fast/no attack/decay.
5) Route virtual instrument output to detector input of Reagate

I can play the virtual instrument via qwerty keyboard opening and closing the gate on the track (the instrument is never heard). I would love a way to do this without creating an extra track (maybe with just one plugin?). Anyone have any ideas?

Maybe there's a gate plugin that can be manually opened/closed via midi message? Maybe there's a synth with an external input for the filter that could do something similar if the was filter open? Definitely open to thinking outside the box, but really want to narrow the process to one plugin that I can setup a preset for and plop on a track.

Thanks!
Jeremy
captainjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 12:31 PM   #2
captainjc

Or could it be possible that there's a way to assign a key on the keyboard to one action and the release of the same key to another action?
Old 07-19-2016, 12:36 PM   #3
EpicSounds

There is a JS Plugin from user Jonas for talkback mic muting. that might do what you want.
Old 07-19-2016, 01:24 PM   #4
captainjc

It seems like that one controls mute with threshold, and on play/record. Am I wrong, or is there a way to do it via keyboard?
Old 07-19-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
captainjc

this gate_midi plugin from witti seems like it will do it more or less. it's midi controlled, rather than qwerty kb, but i'm sure i can figure out a way around that - hopefully without too much latency. obviously has to work in realtime...

http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.p...00#post1646000