Old 01-07-2014, 02:15 PM   #1
rcl
Human being with feelings

Default Need help with KMS drums

I am trying to set up the KMS drums on a MBP osx 10.8. I have downloaded all the files. The only file in the plugin zip was the KMS Drums SSE.component. The instructions are as follows:

OSX Audio Units:

1. Place the FOLDER ”KMS Drums SSE.vst”, from the Plugin Only file, with all of its contents into your audio units folder

2. Extract all the waves from the “Library Files Only” download into \KMS Drums SSE.component\Contents\Resources

3. Place the UNIVERSAL *.ms2 file into \KMS Drums SSE.component\Contents\Resources

Now I assume the .vst is a typo
I also assume the audio units folder is my normal Library\audio\plugin\component folder

If I place the downloaded KMS Drums SSE.component file into that folder and try to open it in order to create the contents\resources it asks for an application to open it.

here is where I am a lil confused.

I understand the plugin itself is the component file I understand that the plugin wants to be able to locate the samples and the.ms2 file. But I dont know how to det up the directories mentioned in the instructions.

Anyone out there with some experience or ideas?
Old 01-07-2014, 02:52 PM   #2
pipelineaudio
Mortal

When someone comes over to the school with a mac in a little bit Ill try and figure out how to write better instructions
pipelineaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:53 PM   #3
rcl

Cool...thanks PLA...can't wait to use this.
Old 02-09-2014, 07:50 PM   #4
patbond

i ran into the same problems as rcl.

i ended up using an sfz player (i used sforzando http://www.plogue.com/products/sforzando/) to play the samples using the KMS Scott Shafer Drums.sfz file that was included in the Utility Pack, but just judging by all the top/bottom/oh/room samples, i'm probably missing a lot by not having the full plugin.

the .sfz file was looking for directories that weren't there, so i had to create the following folders, copy all the samples to their corresponding folders, and put them in the same folder that i had my .sfz file:
kick batch (all the kick .wav files)
snare batch (all the snare .wav files)
tom batch (all the toms .wav files)
cymbals batch (all the crash/ride/splash/china .wav files)

since the .sfz file included lists the same drum/cymbal as the same key for each miking, the sfz player will only play the last miking of each drum/cymbal that's specified in the .sfz file. i created a couple of custom .sfz files to specify rooms and overheads, because it was pretty easy to just delete all the non-"rooms" .sfz lines, then do a search and replace on "rooms" for "overheads". i've attached both of those .sfz mappings here, if anyone's interested.

if i get ambitious, i might make a few more of these .sfz files, if so i'll post them here.

i'd love it if i could get the real KMS plugin working though, super jealous of PC users because the drums sound pretty great even using my hacky solution. have you had a chance to try this out on Mac, pipeline?
Attached Files
File Type: zip Archive.zip (16.8 KB, 119 views)
patbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 03:02 AM   #5
rcl

Thats funny, I did kinda the same thing with RS5K. I set up all the velocities, RR for each drum mic direct then had em in Left and right room and over haead tracks. It was a mamouth template and worked. but because the RS5k loads everything into ram it choked my machine. But what a cool idea. I have the template and will post it later today.

The cool think is a got a great foundation with the RS5K that I want to use when I sample a houshold recyclables kit.

The kick drum seemed a lil flabby but could probably be worked on with EQ and gating. Becauase of all the mics you could do almost anything with the snare and toms. It was really neat to be able to dial in room mics and ovh as if you were in a real set up.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
patbond

Default Success!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
When someone comes over to the school with a mac in a little bit Ill try and figure out how to write better instructions
So I decided to give this another shot today, and I got it up and running on my Mac! The current instructions leave out a few steps, but I'll fill them in here:
1. Download and unrar/unzip both the KMS Library and the OSX VST, as well as this file: http://www.pipelineaudio.net/shup/fi...-SSE-rev-9.ms2
2. Rename the KMS Drums SSE.Instrument folder to KMS Drums SSE.vst
3. Create a folder called Contents inside the KMS Drums SSE.vst folder, then create a folder inside of Contents called Resources, so your file path inside the KMS Drums SSE.vst folder looks like KMS Drums SSE.vst/Contents/Resources
4. Move everything inside KMS Drums SSE.vst other than the Contents folder itself into the Resources folder
5. Replace the KMS Drums SSE rev 7.ms2 file inside your Resources folder with the KMS-Drums-SSE-rev-9.ms2 you downloaded (the rev 7.ms2 file in the KMS Library has some bad mapping for hats that are fixed in rev-9.ms2)
6. Move the actual KMS Drums SSE.vst file inside your KMS Drums SSE.vst folder (see screenshot for what your KMS Drums SSE.vst folder should look like before you move it into your VST plugins folder)
7. Move the KMS Drums SSE.vst folder to your VST plugins (I put mine under /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST)
8. Once you move it there, it'll just appear as one .vst file with no directories inside it, but you'll notice that it's a 1.52GB file
9. Restart Reaper, and load your plugin! It took mine a pretty long time to load, like 30 seconds, but it works like a charm now.

Seems like the problem was that the vst file structure wasn't showing properly on my Mac, so I just had to build the file structure myself, put everything in the right place, and it works!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg KMSVSTfilepath.jpg (63.4 KB, 235 views)

Last edited by patbond; 11-05-2014 at 11:01 PM.
Old 11-06-2014, 02:17 AM   #7
rcl

Thanks. I ended up on win 7 on bootcsamp after upgrading to mavericks and basically trashing a perfectly good DAW system.(very disappointed). I did get it to work on win. Pretty cool rig.
Old 11-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #8
patbond

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcl View Post
Thanks. I ended up on win 7 on bootcsamp after upgrading to mavericks and basically trashing a perfectly good DAW system.(very disappointed). I did get it to work on win. Pretty cool rig.
that sucks. oh well, you can find way more freeware for windows, you can at least have fun with using all the cool stuff you couldn't find for mac