COCKOS
CONFEDERATED FORUMS
Cockos : REAPER : NINJAM : Forums
Forum Home : Register : FAQ : Members List : Search :
Old 04-24-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
snatchman
Human being with feelings

Default 32 Bits To 64 Bits?

Hello..I'm using Reaper with XP-Pro 32 Bits and my effects ( even third party ) are 32 bits..If I switch over to 64 bits, what would to be expected of the 32 bit effects? Will Reaper automatically recognize that the effects are still at 32 bit..?
Old 04-24-2015, 04:35 PM   #2
Xenakios

If no 64 bit builds of the plugins are available and you want to use 64 bit Reaper, the plugins will need to bridged, which isn't optimal. (But *might* work just fine.)

You also have the option of using the 32 bit Reaper application (together with 32 bit plugins) on a 64 bit Windows system. (But you might miss some of the memory benefits the 64 bit operating system allows.)

By the way, if you are considering Windows XP 64 bit, just forget about that...It's pretty much as old and unsupported as Windows XP 32 bit is now.

if you rely a lot on 32 bit only plugins, it might not be a good idea to switch to a 64 bit OS to begin with. Do you actually need the 64 bit memory capabilities for anything?
Old 04-24-2015, 08:51 PM   #3
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post
If no 64 bit builds of the plugins are available and you want to use 64 bit Reaper, the plugins will need to bridged, which isn't optimal. (But *might* work just fine.)

You also have the option of using the 32 bit Reaper application (together with 32 bit plugins) on a 64 bit Windows system. (But you might miss some of the memory benefits the 64 bit operating system allows.)

By the way, if you are considering Windows XP 64 bit, just forget about that...It's pretty much as old and unsupported as Windows XP 32 bit is now.

if you rely a lot on 32 bit only plugins, it might not be a good idea to switch to a 64 bit OS to begin with. Do you actually need the 64 bit memory capabilities for anything?
Thanks for the reply..Yes, I'm actually going to Windows 7 x64..So what do I do, just install Reaper 64 bit plugs updates? I'm using a very early version of Reaper ( version 3 ?)..I'll have to buy a newer 64 bit license?
Old 04-25-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
jazzpunk

If your computer processor supports 64 bit And your operating system is 64 bit then your good to go with a 64 bit reaper. and a 64 bit reaper with 32 bit plug-ins will bridge the 32 bit plug-in to work and process in 32 bit in the 64 bit reaper. the only benefit with running a 64 bit programs is the ram.

So if you only have 4 gigs of ram there is no benefit at all to even have a 64 bit reaper or operating system , your program will only use about 3 gigs for reaper and 1 gig for the os to run and share that 3 gigs between all your plug-ins and vsti (hell some bfd drum kits can use 8 gigs just to load 1 kit ) and once the 3 gigs is used up that's all folks (crash city)this is why 32 bit operating systems are very limited as a d.a.w .
Know say you have 8 gigs of ram, A 64 bit reaper will be allowed to use about 7 of those gigs, know when you load a 32 bit vst or vsti it will be allowed to use up to 4 gigs of ram (32 bit can only use up to 4 gigs this is the 32 bit limit) and still have 3 gigs left for other vsts or processes . its really all about ram management. so the benefit to using a 64 bit system with lots or ram is your 32 bit plug-ins can use all of 4 gigs each. And reapers bridging is very good at doing this. I hope this helps snatchman

Know if you're talking about Bit depth , then this is a totally different beast all together . So if your recording at 24 bit depth then it really does not matter if it's a 32 bit or 64 bit plug-in. all the processing and sound quality will stay at 24 bit depth or 16 bit depth, whatever you set the bit depth of your project to be. just watch out for 32 bit or 64 bit flatting point , because some plug-ins like sonnox
plug-ins will only process up to 24 bit depth so clipping your digital output of that plug-in is a concern so you have to make sure you are gain staging properly . that you are not clipping the plug-ins output.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #5
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by snatchman View Post
Thanks for the reply..Yes, I'm actually going to Windows 7 x64..So what do I do, just install Reaper 64 bit plugs updates? I'm using a very early version of Reaper ( version 3 ?)..I'll have to buy a newer 64 bit license?
No "64 bit license" required. Whether you need to buy a new REAPER license at all depends on when you purchased. If you 'bought-in' anytime during version 3.xx, your license remains valid through the end of the 4.xx cycle - so update what you've got - 32 bit or 64 bit - makes no difference.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =

Last edited by ReaperMadness; 04-26-2015 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:02 PM   #6
Aymara

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzpunk View Post
So if you only have 4 gigs of ram there is no benefit at all to even have a 64 bit reaper or operating system , your program will only use about 3 gigs for reaper and 1 gig for the os to run ...
Sorry, but this is wrong, because a 32-bit OS can only address a total of 3,3 GB RAM for both OS and applications.

But yes, the main advantage of having a 64-bit DAW is being able to use more RAM.

I switched to 64-bit Reaper, when I switched from XP to Win 7 64-bit and did a clean install of Reaper. Then I exchange all my old plugins to 64-bit version as far as available and used the rest as 32-but plugins.

Absolutely no issues, though some people found a few plugins being not compatible ... I was lucky

Chris
Old 05-13-2015, 10:39 PM   #7
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenakios View Post

Hello..I just re-read this and your question about the 64 bit ram..You know, I have the XP-Pro 32 and I use some of the UAD plugs and I think this is when I get in trouble because they are sorta power hogs..!..Thinking upping to the 64 bits may help using the extra 3.7g in this area..
Old 05-13-2015, 11:28 PM   #8
Aymara

Quote:
You know, I have the XP-Pro 32 ...
Just to avoid misunderstandings ... you need a 64-bit OS like Windows 7 or 8 to run Reaper 64-bit.

Regarding UAD ... their plugins should be available for current OSs in 64-bit, right? So I guess, you would be able to update them.

PS: I saw you plan to go to Win7 64-bit. So I guess it would be wise to use the current Reaper 4.78 in 64-bit, which is no problem, if you bought a Reaper v3 licence. Then upgrade all plugins to their 64-bit version as far as it exists. The rest can be bridged from 32 to 64 bit. Only a very few 32-bit plugins cause trouble, when used in 64-bit Reaper.

Chris

Last edited by Aymara; 05-13-2015 at 11:35 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:41 AM   #9
snatchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aymara View Post
Just to avoid misunderstandings ... you need a 64-bit OS like Windows 7 or 8 to run Reaper 64-bit.

Regarding UAD ... their plugins should be available for current OSs in 64-bit, right? So I guess, you would be able to update them.

PS: I saw you plan to go to Win7 64-bit. So I guess it would be wise to use the current Reaper 4.78 in 64-bit, which is no problem, if you bought a Reaper v3 licence. Then upgrade all plugins to their 64-bit version as far as it exists. The rest can be bridged from 32 to 64 bit. Only a very few 32-bit plugins cause trouble, when used in 64-bit Reaper.
Hello..Thanks for your reply..Yes, I plan to go to Windows 7x64..So, I should reinstall Reaper 64 bit as well as the 64 bit effects? What happens to songs already recorded with 32 bit os..? Thanks
Old 05-14-2015, 11:34 AM   #10
Aymara

Quote:
What happens to songs already recorded with 32 bit os..?
They will work as before, be it with 64 or 32 bit plugins, as long as the later cause no issues.

I had absolutely no issues, when I switched from XP to Win7 x64 with Reaper 64-bit and 64-bit drivers for my audio interface. Check if there are 64-bit drivers for your interface available.

I exchanged all plugins I could find in 64-bit and used the rest in 32-bit as before ... worked like a charm in my case.

In my latest project I still mixed 64 and 32 bit plugins ... some old gems are only available in 32 bit

Chris
Old 05-14-2015, 10:23 PM   #11
snatchman

Quote:
They will work as before, be it with 64 or 32 bit plugins, as long as the later cause no issues.

I had absolutely no issues, when I switched from XP to Win7 x64 with Reaper 64-bit and 64-bit drivers for my audio interface. Check if there are 64-bit drivers for your interface available.

I exchanged all plugins I could find in 64-bit and used the rest in 32-bit as before ... worked like a charm in my case.

In my latest project I still mixed 64 and 32 bit plugins ... some old gems are only available in 32 bit
Hello..I actually do have 64 bit OS for the Emu 1820m..! ( never installed it.)..The guy I got it from says it has worked great for him..My plans are to get another interface anyway ( Audient ID22 which is 64 bit only?)since the 1820m is older design and I think the converters/audio circuit has better specs/sound..
Old 05-14-2015, 10:29 PM   #12
foxAsteria

e-mu (afiak) has the best converters at that price point.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:47 PM   #13
Aymara

Quote:
My plans are to get another interface anyway ( Audient ID22 which is 64 bit only?)since the 1820m is older design and I think the converters/audio circuit has better specs/sound..
I would wait with that until everything else is setup.

Btw, do you plan to buy a new Win7 machine or update the old one? I guess the later, because new machines are sold with Win8.1 nowadays. Or is it an "OS-downgrade" deal?

One last thought ... maybe wait for Win10 release?

Chris
Old 05-15-2015, 02:00 PM   #14
snatchman

0'
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxAsteria View Post
e-mu (afiak) has the best converters at that price point.
Hello..Thanks for the reply..The Emu converters sounds good but are beginning to sound " harsh" as I listen to some of the newer ( even cheaper ) converters of today.I'm sure the newer designs has surpassed the Emu ( especially the components in audio path, lower noise,etc.) since it has been conceived.I was reading that the new Lynx E-22/44 PCIe card even exceeds the Lynx Aurora series and it's only been out a couple years..!
Old 05-15-2015, 02:08 PM   #15
snatchman

Quote:
I would wait with that until everything else is setup.

Btw, do you plan to buy a new Win7 machine or update the old one? I guess the later, because new machines are sold with Win8.1 nowadays. Or is it an "OS-downgrade" deal?

One last thought ... maybe wait for Win10 release?
Hello..I'm just gonna " fix up" this old Win 7 one..Then again, I may just try to install the 64 bit Emu drivers and Win 7 x64, get me a stand alone ( 2 channel) converter ( Apogee, Mytek ,etc.) and call it a day..!( for now)