Old 04-23-2017, 09:17 AM   #1
Win Conway
Human being with feelings

Default Custom right click menu

Is there a script that allows to create such a thing ?

So in my toolbar i could have a grid button, right click on it and it would list grid sizes instead of arming the button ?
Old 04-23-2017, 10:08 AM   #2
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
Is there a script that allows to create such a thing ?

So in my toolbar i could have a grid button, right click on it and it would list grid sizes instead of arming the button ?
No that's not possible at the moment*. I've often wished that you could assign different actions to buttons depending on mouse button and modifier keys but I never got around to making an FR of it.

*AFAIK

Last edited by IXix; 04-23-2017 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Added cautionary AFAIK
IXix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 10:40 AM   #3
NextLevel

Guys,

You might wamt to check out Lokasenna's Radial Menu script. It's really customizable, you can add buttons, you can have as many menus as you want.
It can be used to launch actions or other scripts, and you can assign upto 3 different actions/scripts per button. The menues can even be context aware, so for example you could have one menu appear when your mouse cursor is in the TCP area and a different menu when it's in the arrange area.
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 11:50 AM   #4
IXix

Quote:
Originally Posted by NextLevel View Post
You might wamt to check out Lokasenna's Radial Menu script.
Yes, it's an unbelievable script but it's not related to the functionality of toolbar buttons.
Old 04-23-2017, 07:12 PM   #5
Win Conway

Aaaah gutted, would be nice to keep the grid sizes handy but not all be in my toolbar.

Hmmm that radial menu thing, can that be launched by an action, so it could be on a toolbar button ?
If so then a panel with grid actions could be made, no ?
Old 04-23-2017, 09:47 PM   #6
hopi

Quote:
Aaaah gutted, would be nice to keep the grid sizes handy but not all be in my toolbar.

Hmmm that radial menu thing, can that be launched by an action, so it could be on a toolbar button ?
If so then a panel with grid actions could be made, no ?
radial is called by a key press AFAIK... but you could load a lot of grid size settings into it...

do I get it right that what you are thinking about is really like a drop down menu that can be called from a toolbar?
Old 04-24-2017, 12:56 AM   #7
Win Conway

Yeah pretty much a drop down menu from a toolbar button yeah, but it would need to update with the current grid size as its icon.
To be honest i would be happy enough with a toolbar button that showed the current grid size, then i could just have the button open the grid settings.
I like to have the gird size visible at all times, which right now means having an entire toolbar full with grid size buttons to basically work as a radio button.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:09 AM   #8
hopi

Interesting idea... we kind of have that in the MIDI ED. and also partly in the menu for ruler and grid...

I do have a toolbar with all the possible grid settings iconized, but it does not remain checked showing what the current grid is set as... however both the ME and the menu do show what the current grid is set to... so it seems possible, but not implemented as yet...

I always put the transport at the top of the arrange window...
I could imagine having the grid settings and readout including swing amount actually in the transport [lotta room there, eh?]... leaving the toolbars totally free for other things...
Old 04-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #9
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
Interesting idea... we kind of have that in the MIDI ED. and also partly in the menu for ruler and grid...

I do have a toolbar with all the possible grid settings iconized, but it does not remain checked showing what the current grid is set as... however both the ME and the menu do show what the current grid is set to... so it seems possible, but not implemented as yet...

I always put the transport at the top of the arrange window...
I could imagine having the grid settings and readout including swing amount actually in the transport [lotta room there, eh?]... leaving the toolbars totally free for other things...

Yeah you can have the icons remain checked, works exactly like a radio button.

I have this like this for years in various themes i have made, just takes up a lot of space, are you sure you are using the right actions if yours isn't staying checked on the icons ?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:26 AM   #10
Lokasenna

The OP's request is mostly possible, but:

1. Toolbar buttons can't have a right-click behavior; right-click is used by Reaper to arm buttons for "smart tool" functions, and scripts can't affect that. It would have to be a left-click.

2. Scripts can only display popup menus if there's a graphics window open. It doesn't have to be anything significant, but you'd have to live with a tiny black script window in the corner of your screen while the menu was open.

3. Customizing the menu would require either editing a text file, not that that's difficult, or a separate "setup" script like I have with Radial Menu if you wanted to avoid messing around with text files yourself.

As for the suggestions to use Radial Menu, you could have a dedicated menu in your setup with all of the grid sizes, and use the (I think the name is...) "Export menu shortcut" feature to create a toolbar button that specifically opens the grid menu. However, at the moment it would only work with Radial Menu set to stay open rather than needing a key held down. That gives me an idea though...
Old 04-24-2017, 11:04 AM   #11
Win Conway

Thanks for the suggestions Lokasenna (Watched a you tube vid about your Chorder thing, absolute brilliant)

I was thinking about it, and the grid size being visible (As you can see quickly on the image the 1/4 is selected) is more important to me, and i don't think the toolbar icon could be updated by the script to do this could it ?
Old 04-24-2017, 11:25 AM   #12
Lokasenna

Quote:
I was thinking about it, and the grid size being visible (As you can see quickly on the image the 1/4 is selected) is more important to me, and i don't think the toolbar icon could be updated by the script to do this could it ?
Nope.

AFAIK the only way to have the grid size displayed is like in the image above.
Old 04-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #13
Win Conway

I was hoping that something like the arming action could be done that is in SWS, when there are armed tracks the action icon changes, but that isn't actually updating text.
So i will keep it as is
Cheers
Old 04-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #14
NextLevel

Assigning the "Grid: Set" actions from REAPER's action list to Radial Menu buttons with a toggle color set works because those Grid actions are toggle actions. Even if you close and reopen RM the last selected grid division will be highlighted in whatever color you choose as "Toggle color"
NextLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:39 PM   #15
Win Conway

Yeah that is no good, he grid size has to remain on screen at all times, its just the way i work
Old 04-25-2017, 10:56 AM   #16
IXix

You could make a gfx script to let you set the grid size and leave it open or dock it. That would take a bit of screen but it would free up a bunch of toolbar space...

I'm surprised there doesn't appear to be a mechanism for toolbar buttons with arbitrary number of states...
Old 04-25-2017, 07:39 PM   #17
Win Conway

Yeah toolbars with arbitary number of states would be perfect, then you could just do it via cycle actions or something.