Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-05-2017, 01:10 PM   #1
drichard
Human being with feelings

Default Please educate me: Ryzen with Reaper

Hi,

AMD has introduced their new Ryzen processors, and some seem to think it offers a lot of bang for the buck. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how its processor architecture is (or isn't) suited to working with Reaper. Does anyone know or have experience?

Thanks in advance.
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #2
Jack Ruston

It's BRAND NEW so there just isn't a lot of information. If you look on SOS, Pete from Scan gives info from his preliminary testing, which is mixed results-wise. I'd suggest that if you're looking for a new processor any time in the next six months definitely go Intel, and I'd probably leave it a year.
Old 04-05-2017, 01:38 PM   #3
drichard

I'm not not putting together a system right now, just trying to learn more and perhaps look to the future. But I like to know my options, and honestly am simply curious about the Reaper/Ryzen combo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Ruston View Post
It's BRAND NEW so there just isn't a lot of information. If you look on SOS, Pete from Scan gives info from his preliminary testing, which is mixed results-wise. I'd suggest that if you're looking for a new processor any time in the next six months definitely go Intel, and I'd probably leave it a year.
Old 04-05-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
dug dog

Here's a link to that very informative article.

http://www.scanproaudio.info/2017/03...ook-for-audio/
dug dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 04:53 PM   #5
hopi

I left off AMD many, many years back and would NEVER think of going to that country again.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:00 PM   #6
drichard

Which is fine, but I don't understand why you feel compelled to reply to a thread about Ryzen with Reaper, since you will never be using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
I left off AMD many, many years back and would NEVER think of going to that country again.
Old 04-05-2017, 09:57 PM   #7
hopi

just a warning... but PLEASE do whatever and have a good time... and really I sincerely hope you have a great result...

I've been building systems for easily the last ten years or more, just did another monster one for a family member, so I have had some experiences with diff brand mobo's, cpu's, etc. Therefore I have some opinions but they are just mine and shouldn't divert anyone from their course.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:19 AM   #8
Softsynth

CPU discussion here.
http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=186211
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:42 PM   #9
Win Conway

Quote:
just a warning... but PLEASE do whatever and have a good time... and really I sincerely hope you have a great result...

I've been building systems for easily the last ten years or more, just did another monster one for a family member, so I have had some experiences with diff brand mobo's, cpu's, etc. Therefore I have some opinions but they are just mine and shouldn't divert anyone from their course.
Actually it wasn't a warning, it was just a very blinkered opinion that has no place whatsoever in computer technology terms, if everybody sticks to intel then we may aswell simply bend right over and let them insert the stick, with zero competition (The situation we have been in) we all get royally rammed up the proverbial because they have a captive audience, I really really hope that not everybody is as blinkered as you and AMD can start to give Intel some competition, nobody buying their product without even knowing anything about it, wont achieve that.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:50 AM   #10
ivansc

But it would appear that so far the Ryzen platform is behind in both outright prformance AND bang for the buck.
A shame - I quit using AMD after Bulldozer but would love to be back on the AMD platform IF the numbers justified it.

My old 6 core Phenom II system was far more than adequate and cost me way less than the equivalent Intel system at the time.
Old 04-21-2017, 02:21 AM   #11
somebodyelseuk

Something to consider if you're 'one of those people' is that (rumour has it) that Ryzen is "unsupported" on Windows 7 & 8/8.1, so you'd (probably) HAVE TO run Windows 10 if you want a Windows-based system.

FWIW, my view on this... and pretty much any "ground breaking new tech..." is wait 12 months and let the rest of the world beta test it.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:19 AM   #12
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelseuk View Post
Something to consider if you're 'one of those people' is that (rumour has it) that Ryzen is "unsupported" on Windows 7 & 8/8.1, so you'd (probably) HAVE TO run Windows 10 if you want a Windows-based system.

FWIW, my view on this... and pretty much any "ground breaking new tech..." is wait 12 months and let the rest of the world beta test it.
A bit like the advice for buying brand new cars, especially new models/revisions. Let someone else else run it in and pay dearly for the privilege of driving it off the forecourt.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:06 AM   #13
somebodyelseuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softsynth View Post
A bit like the advice for buying brand new cars, especially new models/revisions. Let someone else else run it in and pay dearly for the privilege of driving it off the forecourt.
LOL. Not exactly.., but I'd agree with that approach, too - a good friend just bought an ex-demo Civic for significantly less than RRP. It's essentially a brand new car with a couple of thousand on the clock... however, when it comes to computer stuff, most software and hardware arrives on the market with bugs and flaws. After 12-24 months in consumer hands, the bugs are usually sorted, iffy components have been upgraded, so - in my experience - it pays to wait a while instead of suffering the headaches of coaxing something into working.
Now, if you're a hobbyist with more money than you know what to do with, sure, go ahead, blow a grand or so on a Ryzen based system. If it goes up in flames, it ain't the end of the world.
OTOH, if music production is your day job and you're daft enough to veer away from tried and trusted, don't start whining if it turns to shit and you go out of business.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:53 AM   #14
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
But it would appear that so far the Ryzen platform is behind in both outright prformance AND bang for the buck.
A shame - I quit using AMD after Bulldozer but would love to be back on the AMD platform IF the numbers justified it.

My old 6 core Phenom II system was far more than adequate and cost me way less than the equivalent Intel system at the time.
Yeah unfortunately they blew it big time so far with Ryzen, not in terms of performance, it is good, just not Intel good, but in terms of cost, instead of thinking mass sales to recoup development costs, they have decided lets compete with Intel at their prices.
Nobody will buy in to that until they literally halve their prices, why would they, Intel has been trustworthy for years.

So right now AMD are blowing it big time

Literally blew my mind to look at scan systems and see equivalant AMD vs Intel systems, they are the exact same cost.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:46 AM   #15
Softsynth

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyelseuk View Post
LOL. Not exactly.., but I'd agree with that approach, too - a good friend just bought an ex-demo Civic for significantly less than RRP. It's essentially a brand new car with a couple of thousand on the clock... however, when it comes to computer stuff, most software and hardware arrives on the market with bugs and flaws. After 12-24 months in consumer hands, the bugs are usually sorted, iffy components have been upgraded, so - in my experience - it pays to wait a while instead of suffering the headaches of coaxing something into working.
Now, if you're a hobbyist with more money than you know what to do with, sure, go ahead, blow a grand or so on a Ryzen based system. If it goes up in flames, it ain't the end of the world.
OTOH, if music production is your day job and you're daft enough to veer away from tried and trusted, don't start whining if it turns to shit and you go out of business.
Sometimes new models of cars can have rather serious faults that show up in the first batch. So the advice regarding avoiding new tech can apply in that way too. I've known problems with new models suspension systems, run flats, software glitches effecting fuel distribution, key/security systems.......Most of the time new cars are a safe purchase just as -

Ryzen isn't likely to have major issues like that. AMD have been a long time player in the market. However it seems Intel still have the more powerful cores clock for clock so I would go for Intel again (failing a really nice deal on a Ryzen CPU). Hyperthreading performance is less of an issue with audio than the raw muscle per core.

Gpunk,
Damn, those Ryzen CPUs were supposed to be half the price of Intels!
Old 04-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #16
snooks
Banned

Although the 1700x used in the Scan benchmarks is 1/3 of the cost of the i7-6900k, it keeps up with it in the audio benchmark.

The VI/Kontakt benchmark appears to throw a spanner into the works, but it stops at 192 samples. 256 would show the 1700x increase its lead over the equivalently priced i7-7700k and probably reduce the gap between it and the i7-6XXXKs. We have no idea what effect memory type/speed has on results until somebody does the tests.

So there's wiggle room with memory speeds, compiler optimisation, BIOS tweaks etc, but even now the 1700x seems like great value for money.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 01:30 PM   #17
JHughes
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpunk_w View Post
but in terms of cost, instead of thinking mass sales to recoup development costs, they have decided lets compete with Intel at their prices.
I'm confused. An 8 core Ryzen costs less than half of an Intel 8 core at the same clock speeds.
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:34 PM   #18
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHughes View Post
I'm confused. An 8 core Ryzen costs less than half of an Intel 8 core at the same clock speeds.
Check scan, same system cores and comparable clock speeds, exact same price, maybe scan are just a rip off ?
Old 04-21-2017, 06:39 PM   #19
JHughes
Banned

Not exactly apples to apples, but I'm seeing

At MicroCenter
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X 3.6 GHz 8 Core AM4 Boxed Processor $459.99

At Amazon
Intel Boxed Core i7-6900K Processor (20M Cache, up to 3.70 GHz) FC-LGA14A 3.2 8 BX80671I76900K $1,021.97
JHughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 03:44 AM   #20
snooks
Banned

The Scan benchmark had an overclocked 1700x which is £359 here, whereas the i7-6900k is £1049. That's literally a smidge over 1/3 the price. The motherboards for the i7-6900k are around £240 whilst the AM4 boards for the 1700x ones start at £80. Again 1/3 the price (although to be fair the X370 dual PCIe, overclockable boards start at around £140, which is 1/2 price in street maths, innit).

So I think looking at the 1800x is pointless, considering the price difference vs the 1700x for what is 0.2GHz of speed, which you can overclock around anyhoo.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:35 AM   #21
EvilDragon

Quote:
Check scan, same system cores and comparable clock speeds, exact same price, maybe scan are just a rip off ?
Links? Base Ryzen 1700x CPU is 50% of a higher up Intel that is around a 1000 notes... as others have said. So yeah they are not competing with Intel at their prices, pound for pound you get better value with AMD (as it was historically true, it's the same today).

Not sure what Scan is doing with those systems to have the prices be identical. So yeah, links would be nice. Their site is a bit of a mess.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 04:38 AM   #22
viscofisy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
The Scan benchmark had an overclocked 1700x which is £359 here, whereas the i7-6900k is £1049. That's literally a smidge over 1/3 the price. The motherboards for the i7-6900k are around £240 whilst the AM4 boards for the 1700x ones start at £80. Again 1/3 the price (although to be fair the X370 dual PCIe, overclockable boards start at around £140, which is 1/2 price in street maths, innit).

So I think looking at the 1800x is pointless, considering the price difference vs the 1700x for what is 0.2GHz of speed, which you can overclock around anyhoo.
The 6900k is £1049 ...

but the 6800k is only £419;

and the 6850k is £599.

Most people likely buy the £419 6800k, and the article says it integrates better with the other hardware than the AMD. There's no way I'd buy the AMD until it's actually better all-round than the Intel.
Until then, why would you?
To skimp a few quid on a £1200 + system?
viscofisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 08:39 AM   #23
snooks
Banned

The real cost of building a Ryzen would be closer to £700 with new everything apart from SSD/HDDs, which canny builders would reuse. So I think saving a minimum of £200 is a big deal for a lot of people. That's more than the starting monthly salary of a doctor in Romania for example.

Cheaper doesn't have to be better at everything to be better. It also remains to be seen how much improvement comes in memory management via the options available too.

Re hardware, Thunderbolt support appears not to be the big deal some in audioville think. Tests done recently indicate that the performance under load is more akin to USB than PCIe. That's something else that's panning out at the moment.

Interesting times.
Old 04-22-2017, 09:03 AM   #24
Win Conway

8Sorry on my phone at the minute, will try to hook up links later, i just perused the scan systems for audio before (linked off KVR ad), and an 8 core with 8 gig of ram AMD was 25 quid cheaper than an 8 core i7 with 16 gig of ram, maybe i musread it ?
Old 04-22-2017, 09:49 AM   #25
hopi

my past experience with AMD ...admittedly from a long time back... was that compared with Intel, AMD did not provide the same instruction set on the cpu that Intel does.... maybe things have changed... I don't know the current state of AMD... but that alone led me to go as far away from AMD as I could...

That lack of the same full and identical instruction set caused a slew of problems back then and they all just vanished when I changed to Intel.

Cost can have a lot of considerations and one of them is time and frustration spent on hassles.
Old 04-22-2017, 10:04 AM   #26
EvilDragon

Quote:
AMD did not provide the same instruction set on the cpu that Intel does....
Absolutely not the case anymore.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:10 PM   #27
hopi

ED... thanks good to update my knowledge
Old 04-22-2017, 11:20 PM   #28
Win Conway

Scans site is shite, can't post links
AMD is rx370
Intel is Tz270

CPUs have same amount of cores and clock speed but the AMD system has 8 gig less Ram and is only 25 quid cheaper, so what am I missing here, cause that makes the Intel cheaper in my book.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:34 AM   #29
EvilDragon

Intel system is using i7-7700K which is the same price as Ryzen, so there... Also, Ryzen doesn't have a GPU on board which i7-7700 has, so that's additional expenditure on AMD systems.

This would also be a part of the reason, I suppose:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...-ryzen-launch/

i7-7700K has HALF the cores and threads of Ryzen 1700X (Ryzen sporting 8 cores and 16 threads, 7700K sporting 4 cores and 8 threads), so they're not even comparable. Cache is pretty different, too, Ryzen having almost 3 times as much. So, actually, Ryzen is more affordable one here, pound per core. Not sure where you saw that they have the same amount of cores, that's not true.

Last edited by EvilDragon; 04-23-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 04-23-2017, 03:11 AM   #30
viscofisy

Quote:
Scans site is shite, can't post links
AMD is rx370
Intel is Tz270

Scan has a great site, imo. Of course you can post links ... you have to go to the particular product's page first - just click on Configure button to load the product page then copy the link as usual :

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configura...usic-studio-pc

https://www.scan.co.uk/3xs/configura...puter-music-pc
Old 04-23-2017, 04:26 AM   #31
airon

A collegue and me are looking for performance benchmarks for high volume sessions.

He is using a six-core intel at the moment(1200 Euro CPU) for surround mixing sessions. Same for me except I run the 6700K, which I am very, very happy with so far.

A 500-600 Euro saving on a system is decent, but what weighs heavier is the core count. More of everything.

And now Intel will try harder too and already is. Win/win for us.

AMD are putting out lower cost chips too now as well. Saw some great benchmarks at Linustechtips and others. Bang for buck is going up nicely.
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 09:20 AM   #32
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Intel system is using i7-7700K which is the same price as Ryzen, so there... Also, Ryzen doesn't have a GPU on board which i7-7700 has, so that's additional expenditure on AMD systems.

This would also be a part of the reason, I suppose:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/computi...-ryzen-launch/

i7-7700K has HALF the cores and threads of Ryzen 1700X (Ryzen sporting 8 cores and 16 threads, 7700K sporting 4 cores and 8 threads), so they're not even comparable. Cache is pretty different, too, Ryzen having almost 3 times as much. So, actually, Ryzen is more affordable one here, pound per core. Not sure where you saw that they have the same amount of cores, that's not true.
Aaah so the Ryzen i linked is way more powerful, double the cores for the same money uh, winder how that equates in real life.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #33
Gurt Tractor

Hullo.

I will be getting a Ryzen 7 1700x and Asrock X370 motherboard this week as an upgrade to my i5 6600k @4.5Ghz / Z170 system (bit of a sidegrade really).

If I have time I could do some testing to see what kind of performance difference there is between 4 Intel cores and 8 Ryzen cores with 16 SMT threads. Like how much many instances of a VST I can load onto a single track (and therefore single core performance I think?), and how many busy tracks I can acheive before audio glitces or CPU overload occurs. I think there might have been a test devised in that other thread in the REAPER compatibility section, haven't had a look at it yet but I'll have another read through that thread again and see if that would be good for comparison.

If there's some specific tests anyone would like to see do let me know.

The 1700x / X370 motherboard isn't really the best price to performance option for the new Ryzen platform, it's quite possible to get virtually the same or very close performance to an 1800x/X370 system with a good overclock on the much cheaper 1700 and a B350 motherboard. The Ryzen 5 six-core CPUs might be an even better choice if you want the best bang for your buck.
Gurt Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #34
Gurt Tractor

I'd be quite interested to know if REAPER's dev team (not sure how many people it is these days :P ) has done any specific testing or optimsiation with the Ryzen CPU architecture yet.....?
Gurt Tractor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 11:45 AM   #35
snooks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurt Tractor View Post
If there's some specific tests anyone would like to see do let me know.
The unanswered question for me that can be tested is the effect of memory speed on low latency performance. It would be good if you could run DAWbench at different memory clocks. If you got the CPU to 3.8GHz to match Scan's tests for consistency that would be smashing too.
Old 04-24-2017, 11:59 AM   #36
EvilDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurt Tractor View Post
I'd be quite interested to know if REAPER's dev team (not sure how many people it is these days :P ) has done any specific testing or optimsiation with the Ryzen CPU architecture yet.....?
They didn't.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:51 PM   #37
vdubreeze

Quote:

Literally blew my mind to look at scan systems and see equivalant AMD vs Intel systems
Well, I don't know much about chips, but I am a member of the Literally Police : )
Old 04-24-2017, 05:27 PM   #38
HugoRibeiroDotCom

Quote:
Originally Posted by drichard View Post
Hi,

AMD has introduced their new Ryzen processors, and some seem to think it offers a lot of bang for the buck. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know how its processor architecture is (or isn't) suited to working with Reaper. Does anyone know or have experience?

Thanks in advance.
Although this is more about gaming, it might help.

HugoRibeiroDotCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:59 PM   #39
Win Conway

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Well, I don't know much about chips, but I am a member of the Literally Police : )
What does that mean ?
Old 04-25-2017, 01:10 AM   #40
viscofisy

Quote:
Literally blew my mind to look at scan systems and see equivalant AMD vs Intel systems, they are the exact same cost.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdubreeze View Post
Quote:
What does that mean ?
Quote:
"figuratively/ literally. Figuratively means metaphorically, and literally describes something that actually happened. If you say that a guitar solo literally blew your head off, your head should not be attached to your body.
_____