Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 01-23-2015, 01:34 AM   #1
Infinitymobile
Human being with feelings

Default New to Reaper and having problems monitoring?

I am having some difficulty getting Reaper set up so that I can monitor an incoming signal while recording it and listening to other pre-recorded track playing back all at the same time. When I try to use the 'Direct Sound' option, there is horrible latency in terms of monitoring but the incoming signal is recorded in proper time (with the pre-recorded tracks) and sounds good (in terms of quality). I downloaded the 'ASIO4ALL_2_10' driver and that option allows me to hear the incoming signal with almost no latency but it sounds horrible and the recorded track sounds horrible on playback?

I am using a Roland 2480 as an input mixer and running an optical digital cable from the 2480 to a usb external sound card (Vantec USB External 7.1 Channel Audio Adapter - paid like $30 for it mainly to transfer 2 track mixes from the 2480 to the PC digitally)

I am wondering if the Vantec (being such a cheap interface) may be my problem but wanted to check here before buying a different interface. I am new here so I apologize if this issue has been addressed and if it has, can someone please point me in the direction of the old thread

Thank you in advance for any help!
Infinitymobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:08 AM   #2
bluzkat

If I was you I would definitely get a different audio interface. I looked at the specs on that Vantec unit you have, I don't believe it even supports ASIO. I doubt you will ever get near acceptable latency with that sound card (without ASIO).

There are several reasonably priced interfaces. A lot of folks around here using Focusrite, Tascam, etc.

I use a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6 and really like it.

If you post back with your 'budget', I'm sure someone will make a recommendation.

Welcome to Reaperville!!

Old 01-23-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
beingmf

Does it work with ASIO4all?
Old 01-23-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
Infinitymobile

So I bought one of these today http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-USB

just to see if I could get things to work and if I can, I will likely return it and buy something a little better (unless this ends up sounding great for some reason )

So I have it installed but I still get the latency if I turn the 'mixer' knob...(which blends the input from the box with the playback tracks from reaper.) all the way to 'playback'.

So what I am having to do is turn the fader in reaper for my incoming track...all the way down while putting the 'mixer' knob on the box to about 1 or 2 o'clock....and if I do this, I can hear the pre-recorded tracks coming out of reaper along with the input track that I am trying to record.

Is this how it is done or have I just found a shitty work around to my problem?

The main problem I see is, how would I monitor an input signal with an effect on it if I can only listen to the signal I am currently recording as it goes into the computer and not while it is coming out??
Infinitymobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:37 PM   #5
Fergler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinitymobile View Post
So I bought one of these today http://www.presonus.com/products/AudioBox-USB

just to see if I could get things to work and if I can, I will likely return it and buy something a little better (unless this ends up sounding great for some reason )

So I have it installed but I still get the latency if I turn the 'mixer' knob...(which blends the input from the box with the playback tracks from reaper.) all the way to 'playback'.

So what I am having to do is turn the fader in reaper for my incoming track...all the way down while putting the 'mixer' knob on the box to about 1 or 2 o'clock....and if I do this, I can hear the pre-recorded tracks coming out of reaper along with the input track that I am trying to record.

Is this how it is done or have I just found a shitty work around to my problem?

The main problem I see is, how would I monitor an input signal with an effect on it if I can only listen to the signal I am currently recording as it goes into the computer and not while it is coming out??
You will get latency if you try to directly monitor a track in Reaper at high quality settings through a USB interface like that. The solution, other than what you are already doing, is to route the output of Reaper using the Main Out on the back of your box.

The set up is as follows, and will be in Mono due to the limitations of your device.

In Reaper:
Set Reaper's master fader all the way down.
Set Reaper to Mono, on the master track.
These steps are to protect your ears and headphones for the next steps which can be unpredictable.

On your Audiobox:
Connect a 1/4 inch cable from the Main Out Left on the box to one of the instrument inputs on the front.
Turn the gain down all the way on the input you chose.
Turn the mix knob fully to Inputs
Plug your instrument or mic into the other input and set levels with your headphones plugged in until it is the volume you desire to monitor at.

Now back to Reaper:
Turn off track monitoring. If you want reverb or delay, you can turn monitoring on but set the first plugin to 100% wet. There will be a latency but you won't notice it.
Press play so you have some audio running, and slowly turn up the volume of the master fader. If nothing happens, slowly turn up the gain on the audiobox. I don't know the device - some devices mute completely when you turn gain all the way down, others are just very quiet but still run audio.
Adjust both Reaper and Audiobox input until you hear both your monitored instrument or mic and Reaper playback at comfortable volumes.

You should now be ready to record with no latency.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote