Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-15-2014, 11:24 AM   #1
Southman
Human being with feelings

Default ZOOM R19 USB Everything works except recording.

Sorry not R19, R16, I have everything functioning fine except recording. Reaper responds to all the ZOOM controls and I have all the recording input for all 8 track set to mono so the MIDI Error message topped showing up. I have tried every Zoom input and the Zoom registers sound but not Reaper. I'm using the Mackie control surface. Device settings is ASIO with ZOOM input/output selected. I have set DAW on and off with no change. What have I not done?

Last edited by Southman; 02-15-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Southman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
Rogie

Do you have the track ARMED for recording?

Monitoring set to ON?
Rogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 03:11 PM   #3
Southman

Default ZOOM R19 USB Everything works except recording

ZOOM R16; Yes, the tracks are armed. You can arm any track or mute them from the ZOOM and it responds in Reaper. All the functions on ZOOM respond in Reaper. The dial on the Zoom advances the cursor on the timeline, L. and R. commands the position of the timeline, Up and Down commands the tracks position. There has to be a set up in Reaper I am missing. The computer speaker settings recognize ZOOM. I have searched the forum for every ZOOM entry and none of them address this issue. I would like the people that successfully record with ZOOM as a control surface to go over this with me. I have been working on this for about a week. I AM TIRED. I had set everything up, saved the template and the project then shut down Reaper, restarted it and had a successful run with the communication between ZOOM and Reaper just no recording signal from ZOOM to Reaper. I know there is a solution.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:21 PM   #4
alanofoz

Works well here in Win 8

In Control Panel you should have a "ZOOM R16_R24 Control Panel" applet. Not much you can do here except change the buffer size.

In Control Panel>Sound>Playback tab you should see
ZOOM R16_R24 Audio Interface:
Select Properties>Advanced you should see "2 channel, 24 bit, 44100 Hz" (or similar)

In Control Panel>Sound>Recording tab
ZOOM R16_R24 Audio Interface
Select Properties>Advanced to see "8 channel, 24 bit, 44100 Hz" (or similar)

In Reaper, Preferences>Audio>Device
Audio System: ASIO
ASIO Driver: "ZOOM R16_R24 ASIO Driver"
Enable inputs
First 1: Input channel
Last 8: Input channel

Output range:
First 1:Output channel
Last 2:Output channel

Connect the R16, press Enter 3 times – should show sample rate on the first line of its display, and "Solo" on the second.

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:06 PM   #5
Southman

Default ZOOM R16 USB Everything works except recording

I'm in Windows 7. ZOOM is most defiantly active. All I need to know is what to do for Reaper to receive the audio signal. Reaper and Zoom are talking just fine. Reaper can't hear Zoom singing.
Old 02-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #6
Rogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southman View Post
I'm in Windows 7. ZOOM is most defiantly active. All I need to know is what to do for Reaper to receive the audio signal. Reaper and Zoom are talking just fine. Reaper can't hear Zoom singing.
My brother has an R24,....essentially the same thing.He had some issues getting up and running too,I'm just trying to remember it all,...some were hurdles you've already cleared.

Do you have the R16 set to run as an interface,or is it in Recorder mode?

I'm just swinging in the dark,but I can't recall you mentioning if it was or not?
Old 02-16-2014, 12:16 AM   #7
Southman

It is audio interface in record mode. I press the record on the ZOOM and Reaper starts recording, there just isn't any sound getting to it. The ZOOM is working fine. With headphones plugged into the ZOOM everything sounds great. I just wish I could get that sound to Reaper.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:41 AM   #8
alanofoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southman View Post
I press the record on the ZOOM
Not what I do, I press Record in Reaper, just as I'd do with any other interface.

What happens at each of the steps I outlined in my previous post. You did try that didn't you?

alanofoz, aka Alan of Australia
alanofoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 07:13 AM   #9
Leon S

Default Zoom r16 with Reaper

I own the r16 and im very happy with it. When i use the R16 as a controller Surface i use the Mackie Control option in Preferences|Control Surfaces.
So you did that too. How can you arm a Reaper Track on the R16? When i press the play/mute/record button on the zoom channel the corresponding Track in Reaper is soloed not record armed? But back to Preferences: Your zoom is in Interface Mode and in Reaper you go to Preferences|Audio|Device.
Audio System:ASIO
Asio Driver:The latest ASIO Driver R16/24 from Zoom.
Enable Inputs is checked, i hope!
For Testing purposes select Input first 7 and last 8. Output is 1 and 2.
On the zoom enable the in build Mic on Channels 7 and 8. You should see some action on the zoom LED Meters.
Start with just one Track in Reaper and arm this Track. The Meter in Reaper is now showing the Input from the Zoom.
Press Record on the Zoom an Reaper starts recording, showing the waveform on the screen.
Hope this helps.
Leon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #10
Southman

All that is just as you described. I turned on the onboard mic, armed track 7 and 8 on the ZOOM and 7 and 8 light up as armed both in ZOOM and in Reaper. The LED's in ZOOM are responding on track 7 and 8 but not in Reaper even though it is now armed. I have armed them Solo form ZOOM and from Reaper to record. Reaper notifies it is not armed for recording so I arm it and No Sound. I also added a 9th track in Reaper and when you press 9-16 on Zoom you select 1/9 track, arm it on the ZOOM and track 9 is armed in Reaper. In the ASIO the output is 1 and 2. The input is 1 - 8. Everything is set up just as you described and responds as I have described. I can select any or all tracks and record from Reaper alone with the mouse and get the same result as doing it from the ZOOM. I have all 9 track inputs armed to stereo. I also armed them to MONO. I had armed them to MIDI and got the error. On the ZOOM I recorded from Direct and from DAW. Reaper in not receiving audio from ZOOM. There is a solution, what is it?
Old 02-16-2014, 11:55 AM   #11
Leon S

Default Just curious!

What signals to you want to record. Are there mikes plugged into all Zoom Inputs?
Leon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #12
BobF

Are those of you that are successfully using this using it with X64 systems?

I got interested after seeing this thread. Started reading the PDF manuals and there is a note stating that 64 bit systems are not supported ...

WTF, over?

UPDATE: Checked drivers at Zoom site and there are drivers for x64 systems. Looks like the manual just hasn't been updated.

Last edited by BobF; 02-16-2014 at 01:16 PM.
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 01:36 PM   #13
Rogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobF View Post
Are those of you that are successfully using this using it with X64 systems?

I got interested after seeing this thread. Started reading the PDF manuals and there is a note stating that 64 bit systems are not supported ...

WTF, over?

UPDATE: Checked drivers at Zoom site and there are drivers for x64 systems. Looks like the manual just hasn't been updated.

Yup,my brother is on an x64 system.
Old 02-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #14
BobF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogie View Post
Yup,my brother is on an x64 system.
Thanx for the confirmation ...
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote