Old 04-14-2017, 02:38 AM   #1
cubic13
Human being with feelings

Default Nitrogen...

...is in the stash. I made this one as an inquiry from Limbic Void who posted in this thread a graphical concept of a new theme. Seeing it, I thought right away that his work could be a truely nice start and, after few PM exchanges with him, I just began to work on it. To be honest, the result is not exactly following the first screenshot of his thread : I had to adapt it to what was possible with my theming skills. From which, the name of it : I just took the other main component of the air we all breathe, as it matches the concept of this theme which, I think, is to be as neutral as possible.

I took a special care of the transport bar, rewriting it completely since CLogic : for me, this is the heart of any DAW related tool and I would really like any user who wants to test this theme to give a special attention to it and report any bug that could eventually remains.

Enough said. Here are the main features, nothing special, I admit :

- a fully redimensionable transport bar, with all its options actually working,
- horizontal meters layouts, as been requested from a forumer in Limbic Void thread,
- tcp and mcp VCA/Group layouts,
- few color layouts in the mixer for fader thumbs.

In the Zip file, I added, as for CLogic, four toolbar files which have to be put in the \MenuSets subfolder of your Reaper installation. As the toolbar1 has been designed on a 1920x1200 pixels monitor, you might have to adjust its size if your monitor resolution doesn't match, this, by adding or removing separator(s) in it.

Just hope this will be useful for some, especially Limbic Void who is at the start of this, but I guess that it will probably be too dark for many. Feedback, comments and suggestions are welcomed.

EDIT - Forgot the essential, the link : (deprecated)

EDIT2 (16th april 2017) - Link for NitrogenB (a less dark version of it) : (deprecated)

EDIT3 (11th may 2017) - Link for the NitrogenPack which includes the previous themes with redimensionable mcp panels versions of them (see post #40 for more details) : https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1987/NitrogenPack.zip

NitrogenB, v1.30 :

NitrogenR, v1.30 :

Last edited by cubic13; 04-01-2018 at 01:27 AM. Reason: NitrogenPack 1.30 update...
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:53 AM   #2
Plazma

Instant new favourite theme. Awesome. This is going to be a very popular theme.
Thanks Cubic!!!
Old 04-14-2017, 09:41 AM   #3
hopi

Nice work.... way too dark for me but that is just me, the theme is a nice one
Old 04-14-2017, 10:30 AM   #4
AndreiT

Love it! It's very clean and the contrast between the elements is very good!
All the best!
AndreiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:34 AM   #5
cubic13

Thanks to you all !
Old 04-14-2017, 05:31 PM   #6
Masonic

Fantastic!
Is there any chance to make a version with horizontal metering in tcp?
Just like the master meter that is in the screenshot above.
Really useful theme!
Masonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:44 PM   #7
Never

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post

@CUBIC - Despite admittedly not being thrilled by the steinberg clones...(Which i understand are aimed at being steinberg clones, and at that, they do well).....

I Love this theme.....BRAVO!!
Never is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:34 PM   #8
cubic13

Thanks !

@Masonic
The horizontal meter is there, already. You should see four layouts for it in the Layouts/Track Panel submenu :

Horizontal meter
Horizontal meter/Uncolored
Sober/Horizontal meter
Sober/Horizontal meter/Uncolored

But I just saw a bug on the two last ones, not related to the meter itself : the fxparm area should not be displayed for these two and it is still there when choosing one of them. Will have to fix that for a next update...
Old 04-15-2017, 11:52 PM   #9
cubic13

Default v 1.10...

v 1.10 update is in the stash. Few changes :

- Straighten up layouts management : the bug mentioned in the previous post is solved and a mcp 'Uncolored' layout, which was strangely missing, has been added for 'Normal' width strips.
- Fixed few niggles left in the tcp management (left of the envelope panels, fxparm...)
- Moved a little on the left the transport controls : seems like they are exactly centered now.
- Few added optimizations done here and there...

And... bonus ! I added a 'bright' version in the stash (I should rather write 'less dark', actually...), NitrogenB. You can find its link in the first post of this thread. hopi, if you read me...

Hope this will be useful...
Old 04-16-2017, 03:10 AM   #10
dagad

Hi, this looks great! , but I have a problem, I had never changed reaper themes before, so when I installed nitrogen, some stuffed didn't look anything like your photo, just wanted to know what did I miss?... oh, and I did changed the menu and toolbar files also
dagad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 03:49 AM   #11
cubic13

Hi, dagad

The normal way to do things is the following :

1) Unzip the content of the .zip file : you should have here, 1 file with a .ReaperThemeZip extension and 4 files with a .ReaperMenu one.
2) Copy the Nitrogen.ReaperThemeZip file (or the NitrogenB.ReaperThemeZip one) in the \ColorThemes submenu of your Reaper installation.
3) Copy the 4 other files (they are the same for Nitrogen and NitrogenB) in the \MenuSets submenu of your Reaper installation.
4) Now, In Reaper, Nitrogen (or NitrogenB) should appear in the Options/Themes submenu list. You should be able to select it.

5) Additionaly, if you want to use the 4 toolbars visible in the screenshot (which correspond to the 4 bundled files with a .ReaperMenu extension), you will have to load them in the window opened with the Options/Customize Menus/Toolbars... command.

If you are not sure where are exactly the involved submenus of your installation, use in Reaper the Options/Show REAPER resources path... command.

Once all this done, you should be able to fully use it. Hope this will help...
Old 04-16-2017, 04:29 AM   #12
vanhaze

Amazing work, thank you !!
Old 04-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #13
dagad

Thanks cubic13! I realized the things I was missing from your photo are actually changed in the preferences, but, still I am missing one thing, which is the track color label, being shown in the left side, instead of where you write the name of your track...

Blue outline is where I want the color to be shown

Attached Images
File Type: png Untitled-1.png (49.2 KB, 388 views)
dagad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:29 PM   #14
vanhaze

This Theme looks amazing on my Dell 23 inch hdpi monitor and also macbook retina 2015.

As a minor comment ; i would love to see other colors for the track vu metering.
Instead of green > yellow, i think it would more suit this Theme to have vu metering in blue grades.
For example, there is a blue color used to highlight a toolbar button.
Maybe that same blue color can be used in vu metering, in different grades.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:05 PM   #15
lowellben

This theme is AMAZING. THANKKKKKKKKKK YOU
Old 04-17-2017, 05:39 PM   #16
hopi

vanhaze...

try this

https://stash.reaper.fm/theme/1974/BLUE%20METERS.zip

unzip and replace the two png files in the theme with the two in the zip

I believe you know how to do this, right?
Old 04-18-2017, 03:35 AM   #17
emid

Wow this is the theme I was waiting for since the original thread. Thanks a lot to the original creator for the idea and you have taken it to the next level. Thank you so much for your time and efforts as well.

Ps: For newcomers or for those who don't know how to install the other files, could you please add the same information in the stash.
emid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:01 AM   #18
sostenuto

Quote:
Originally Posted by emid View Post
Wow this is the theme I was waiting for since the original thread. Thanks a lot to the original creator for the idea and you have taken it to the next level. Thank you so much for your time and efforts as well.

Ps: For newcomers or for those who don't know how to install the other files, could you please add the same information in the stash.

THIS ^ ^ ^ !!!

THX
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:29 AM   #19
cubic13

Sorry for the late answer : I've been away for two days. So, thanks again for all your positive comments. I am really appreciating each of them...

@dagad
From what I see, your screenshot shows the combinated result of two settings in the Preferences/Appearance/Track panels page :
- the tcp panel label is colored because the Set track label background to custom track colors option is activated. Try to untick it.
- at the opposite, the missing coloring of the index area on the left of the panel is probably due to the unactivated Tint track panel background option. So, try to tick this one.
Maybe I should have precise this in the first post, sorry. Let me know how things are going...

@vanhaze
You're probably right and I am more and more thinking the same. Actually, I've been lazy on this one : I just took the meter_strip_v.png file from my CLogic theme and adapted its shape and the color of the 'unlit' parts to this one. I will look on my end if I can change it and post a solution here, probably with another version of these two files.

But hopi has kindly given us a first solution for this, however, which works perfectly for Nitrogen (for NitrogenB, the 'unlit' color doesn't match exactly with the theme, but is usable, nevertheless). As a precision : when the theme file (Nitrogen.ReaperThemeZip) is unzipped, the meter_strip_v.png file should go in the Nitrogen folder, and the meter_strip_h.png one should go in its \TCPHorizontal subfolder.

@emid & sostenuto
Will do with the next update. You are right : I should have done this from the start...

Last edited by cubic13; 04-19-2017 at 02:14 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 03:36 AM   #20
JoostJanssensDS

Hi y'all!

Wonderful theme Cubic, absolutely stunning!

I have one question though:

Some buttons in my toolbar have this wonderful 3D effect to them, which I love. However, most of the standard Reaper icons are flat buttons, which sort of breaks the unified look of the theme (I know this is nitpicking, but I love having unified themes). This also happens with some more themes I have. I was just wondering how I would go about making these buttons 3D instead of flat? Any idea?

Thanks in advance, and thank you for your wonderful theming work, keep it up!
JoostJanssensDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:37 AM   #21
lowellben

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoostJanssensDS View Post
Hi y'all!

Wonderful theme Cubic, absolutely stunning!

I have one question though:

Some buttons in my toolbar have this wonderful 3D effect to them, which I love. However, most of the standard Reaper icons are flat buttons, which sort of breaks the unified look of the theme (I know this is nitpicking, but I love having unified themes). This also happens with some more themes I have. I was just wondering how I would go about making these buttons 3D instead of flat? Any idea?

Thanks in advance, and thank you for your wonderful theming work, keep it up!
Button consistancy (between themes) is something I wish Reaper had more of. All the small nitpicks may not be a dealbreaker by themselves but man when you put 200 nitpicks together it starts to really take away the oomph of the software as a whole imo.

I suspect the "only" way to make buttons flat is of course, outside Reaper theme zips, open up GIMP and get to work Good luck.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:17 AM   #22
cubic13

Hi, Joost, and thanks for the encouragement.

About the toolbar icons with my themes, if you know how to unzip a theme (which basically consists of changing the .ReaperThemeZip extension to a simple .zip one then extracting its content), you will find in the Nitrogen folder two 'empty' icon files which are basically a frame for my work when creating icons for the theme. They are named as follows :
- toolbar_30-30Frame.png which can be used as a frame for regular 30 x 30 pixels icons.
- toolbar_60-30Frame.png which I use for the main toolbar icons to prevent a two rows disposition of it (I simply hate it...).

This said, I'm afraid that lowellben is right : you will need to use a graphic application such as GIMP (I use paint.NET, but any tool that is able to cope with png files, transparency management and layers should do the job) and reshape the icons needed, one by one, sadly.

Sorry not being able to help more...

Last edited by cubic13; 04-19-2017 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #23
lowellben

Quote:
- toolbar_60-30Frame.png which I use for the main toolbar icons to prevent a two rows disposition of it (I simply hate it...).
I hate it too. It's one of the many, many GUI theme polish issues that simply NEED attention and not shaming the messengers. Maybe Reaper 5 will dedicate a LITTLE focus on GUI and toolbars and not amazing new features
Old 04-21-2017, 09:48 AM   #24
cubic13

Default v 1.20 update...

v 1.20 is in the stash. Several adjustments...

1) With the kind agreement of hopi, I changed the existing meters to the ones he posted few days ago (see post #17) and adjusted the rms meters accordingly.
2) The tcp.master track has been rearranged in a more efficient way (less place lost, especially for the meter).
3) An omission has been fixed : in NitrogenB, I adjusted both the track icons backgrounds and the scrollbars colors to the rest of the theme.
4) Few little added changes here and there, among them, the placement of pan/width controls in the mixer.
5) Few changes made in the toolbars icons, especially on the main toolbar.

To the users of previous versions : there has been a change in the action for the 'envelope' toolbar icon in the main toolbar. I changed the action for it from ID#41152 to ID#40926, making it more useful, I think. So, beside the theme files, Nitrogen_MainToolbar.ReaperMenu will also need to be replaced with the one bundled in this update.

Think I'm nearly done with these. Hope they will be useful for some as they are...
Old 04-22-2017, 12:01 AM   #25
Limbic Void

Hey Cubic, good job and thanks for making my design an actual theme! Fun to see people in here appreciate it.
Limbic Void is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 10:23 PM   #26
cubic13

Hi, Limbic Void

Thanks ! Hope it will be useful for you. Eventually, let me know if there is something you would like me to change since your design work on it.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:39 AM   #27
hopi

wow! those new meters are just great!!!
Old 04-23-2017, 11:17 AM   #28
vanhaze

Quote:
Sorry for the late answer : I've been away for two days. So, thanks again for all your positive comments. I am really appreciating each of them...

@dagad
From what I see, your screenshot shows the combinated result of two settings in the Preferences/Appearance/Track panels page :
- the tcp panel label is colored because the Set track label background to custom track colors option is activated. Try to untick it.
- at the opposite, the missing coloring of the index area on the left of the panel is probably due to the unactivated Tint track panel background option. So, try to tick this one.
Maybe I should have precise this in the first post, sorry. Let me know how things are going...

@vanhaze
You're probably right and I am more and more thinking the same. Actually, I've been lazy on this one : I just took the meter_strip_v.png file from my CLogic theme and adapted its shape and the color of the 'unlit' parts to this one. I will look on my end if I can change it and post a solution here, probably with another version of these two files.

But hopi has kindly given us a first solution for this, however, which works perfectly for Nitrogen (for NitrogenB, the 'unlit' color doesn't match exactly with the theme, but is usable, nevertheless). As a precision : when the theme file (Nitrogen.ReaperThemeZip) is unzipped, the meter_strip_v.png file should go in the Nitrogen folder, and the meter_strip_h.png one should go in its \TCPHorizontal subfolder.

@emid & sostenuto
Will do with the next update. You are right : I should have done this from the start...
Amazing !!
Old 04-23-2017, 12:48 PM   #29
hopi

Ok nice [using the lighter ver]

thoughts that are just my own preferences:

I'd like the M and S buttons to Red and Yellow

Yellow or Orange for Mute is ON, Red for Solo is on...

the monitor icon I'd keep as the little speaker icon instead of the |

I'd like the MCP panels to be able to resize by dragging the area just above the meter\vol slider up or down... mainly to make them taller is desired

I also reall like to have thin line of some color [orange or red or something bright... even white] as a border on the MCP and TCP panels when they are selected...

Now these are mostely mod's that I can do for myself so I'm just talking ... nobody has to listen or care.... LoL.

Man... those meters are sexy! [just kidding]
Old 04-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #30
cubic13

Hi, hopi

Suggestions noted. Most could be done quite quickly but the problem is that I have to take account of Limbic Void model. So, expect a PM in the following days about them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
wow! those new meters are just great!!!
Aren't they ? But I must admit that they're none of my creation...
Old 05-06-2017, 10:22 PM   #31
Nellz York City

What are the Min/Max db values to have to meters line up correctly at all the ticks.
Nellz York City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:39 AM   #32
cubic13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nellz York City View Post
What are the Min/Max db values to have to meters line up correctly at all the ticks.
I took what (I think...) are the default values : -72 and +6 dB. Seems that the lower end (-60/-70 dB) aren't precise enough : I'll look at this more closely for the next update...
Old 05-07-2017, 08:26 AM   #33
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
Just wondering why all themes are either black or almost white. There are other colors on the color wheel.
There are a ton of other color themes on the stash... have you seen them all?

I also don't like black themes that much so mine is mostly in the blue tones...

[CIRCUS theme]

so what colors do you like?
Old 05-08-2017, 11:41 AM   #34
hopi

so why don't you create your own theme or a mod of an existing one that you like and make the colors the way you want them?
Old 05-08-2017, 02:02 PM   #35
hopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
I thought of it once, but it looks like lot of time consuming work after I looked at the Walter manual and all the graphic files involved in a theme.

Is there a method to reducing the task into smaller sections, or a person just has to work the entire project till it is completed.
hmmm... well really it depends on how much or how little you want to change

a lot can be changed without touching WALTER code or any png files but working in the action for theme tweaker.... lotta colors in there

I'd say make a copy of the theme in question and try changes there and see how far you get...

after that, it could be you'd want to still alter a few of the png files... such as the TCP and MCP panels....

but if you are decent with photoshop work that is not very hard to do.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:41 AM   #36
cubic13

Default An additional step : NitrogenPack...

I went a little further with the Nitrogen/NitrogenB themes, doing redimensionable mcp panels versions of them. So, I removed from the stash the previous Nitrogen related uploads, replacing them with this pack, which can be found here and actually includes 4 themes :

- Nitrogen : the initial version,
- NitrogenB : a brighter (let's say a little less dark...) version of it,
- NitrogenR : the redimensionable mcp panels version of the first one,
- NitrogenRB : the redimensionable mcp panels version of NitrogenB.

They all share, as the previous versions, the same 4 optional toolbars also included in the pack as .ReaperMenu files which have to be put in the \MenuSets folder of your Reaper installation, then loaded in the Customize menus/toolbars window.

This, for the pack content. Beside this, I made several fixes and corrections that were needed, in my view :

- VCA/Group layouts : I included in them the tcp/mcp.recarm control which was missing, though also being among the controls that can be subject of master/slave relations between different tracks,
- rearranged all the mcp layouts, as the 'Uncolored' ones were not working as expected, and added colored thumbs for the mcp VCA/Group layout,
- the tcp/mcp.recmon controls pictogram has been changed (it was too much looking like my previous CLogic theme...),
- the mcp.fxin/mcp.fx controls placement has been adjusted (they were not properly aligned horizontally in the 'Narrow' layouts),
- the mcp.folder control alignment has also been adjusted against the mcp.trackidx one (the former was 2 pixels under the latter),
- the extended mixer area margins have been optimized,
- items : several color and shape adjustments on the icons,
- meters : I widened the mcp ones of 1 pixel, this, in order to center the meters indicators (mute, unsolo...),
- meters again : I corrected the scale used for them in Nitrogen/NitrogenB themes in the low levels, this to make them as accurate as could be with the -72 to +6 dB default range,
- mcp faders : I fixed the 1 pixel vertical band which was missing on the right of the thumbs : it was not evident with the default ones but much more visible when the colored thumbs were used,
- mcp.volume.label : it has been widened and repositioned to allow the full display of 5 digit values, such as -109.46 dB,
- tcp.faders : I adjusted the vertical placement of the thumb,
- several colors adjustments have been made for some controls (among them : mcp.fx, mcp.phase, mcp.env, which were not showing the same brightness, and rms meters and readouts).

Let me know if something is still misbehaving...

Last edited by cubic13; 05-11-2017 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Typos & omissions...
Old 05-11-2017, 09:43 AM   #37
hopi

Hi Cubic... thanks as always for your great theme work!

I am looking again at the newest versions and offer just a couple thoughts that are really only from my own desires... in other words, they may not be worth doing for most people...%^)

Mostly this is about the width of the layouts for the MCP when used as a track inspector docked at the left of the TCP....

I know you understand what I'm saying when I prefer the widths of the diff layouts to be the same... or at least a couple of the main ones...to be the same as the more special ones...

As it is now the VCA's are more narrow than any of the others, ...right? So this throws off what is seen in the track inspector...

I can see that the normal layout is wider and maybe that is fine, but I'd wonder if the narrow MCP layouts and the VCA's might be all the same width? What do you think?

Also, I don't know if it is worth the effort but I really like being able resize the MCP's from the 'meter fader' section so that that section can become taller.. This may well not be everyone's cup of tea.

Oh and you already know my feelings about that white line border on selected tracks.... especially in dark themes that is really helpful to people like me.

Sorry to not have gotten back sooner in email, but OMFG I have been buried in outdoor work this Spring.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:35 PM   #38
cubic13

Hi, hopi

Quote:
I can see that the normal layout is wider and maybe that is fine, but I'd wonder if the narrow MCP layouts and the VCA's might be all the same width? What do you think?
I think that I should have consider this from the start but, as I'm never using the mixer as an inspector, I simply forgot it. So, I'll add a 'normal' width mcp VCA/Group in the next update : indeed, it is missing in this case...

Quote:
Also, I don't know if it is worth the effort but I really like being able resize the MCP's from the 'meter fader' section so that that section can become taller.. This may well not be everyone's cup of tea.
Hmmm... Seems that is precisely what the R and RB versions in the pack are allowing, or maybe I didn't get your request...

Quote:
Oh and you already know my feelings about that white line border on selected tracks.... especially in dark themes that is really helpful to people like me.
Easily doable also, so check your PM in the following days.

Thanks for the feedback !
Old 05-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #39
hopi

Oh my mistake... your are absolutely correct about the R and RB versions and the MCP resize! Plz forgive me

May I suggest that in your reaper for testing you do make and save one screenset that does use the MCP as a track inspector?

If you have never done it... here are the steps:

1-dock the MCP
2-drag and drop the postion of that dock to the left side of the TCP
3-Set up the MCP so that the Master track is floating in it's own window
[I put that Master to the left of everthing but others prefer to the right]
4-On that Master clk to where you get the settings for the MCP and have scrolling ON but have show multiple rows OFF...
5-resize the dock width so that it is only one MCP panel wide at the left of the TCP

The result we are after is the when we clk on any given TCP panel, we get the single MCP for it at the left of the TCP

IF that is all good save it as a screen set so you can call it up whenever.

I just offer this as a suggestion knowing that many users do set up this way so it might be handy for you to see how diff layouts work in it.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:00 AM   #40
sostenuto

Quote:
Oh my mistake... your are absolutely correct about the R and RB versions and the MCP resize! Plz forgive me

May I suggest that in your reaper for testing you do make and save one screenset that does use the MCP as a track inspector?

If you have never done it... here are the steps:

1-dock the MCP
2-drag and drop the postion of that dock to the left side of the TCP
3-Set up the MCP so that the Master track is floating in it's own window
[I put that Master to the left of everthing but others prefer to the right]
4-On that Master clk to where you get the settings for the MCP and have scrolling ON but have show multiple rows OFF...
5-resize the dock width so that it is only one MCP panel wide at the left of the TCP

The result we are after is the when we clk on any given TCP panel, we get the single MCP for it at the left of the TCP

IF that is all good save it as a screen set so you can call it up whenever.

I just offer this as a suggestion knowing that many users do set up this way so it might be handy for you to see how diff layouts work in it.

Can u post a couple fav screen shots _ plz ??
sostenuto is offline   Reply With Quote