Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 04-17-2017, 01:00 AM   #1
kevinwayne
Banned

Default Windows 10 intro version crashed THREE TIMES during Render! Anyone else have this?

Topic ^^^

If you did, was there any solution or did you decide to go back to a previous version?

kevinwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:13 AM   #2
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwayne View Post
Topic ^^^

If you did, was there any solution or did you decide to go back to a previous version?

I won't go back to another version, I will get give my Microsoft surface to my 9 year old daughter and get myself a Mac.
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 01:15 AM   #3
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis View Post
I won't go back to another version, I will get give my Microsoft surface to my 9 year old daughter and get myself a Mac.
I hear updates are highway robbery, though?
Old 04-17-2017, 01:23 AM   #4
ivansc
Human being with feelings

FWIW you are in the minority, Kev.
Now you have vented, I hope you feel a little better!

I look after several computers & the only one that has ussies a LOT is my wife`s lappy, which I had to revert to Win7 after she "thoroughly tested Win10" for about an hour!

This is pretty unlikely to be an issue caused just by win10.
Take a deep breath, think calming thoughts, have a coffee/tea/beer/why and think it all through. My bet is a DME (dumb meatware error_

Good luck with it but I would seriously suggest you do everything you can to sort it out in Win10 before doing anything drastic.

(cue all the windows10 haters who must be champing at the bit waiting to pile in on this one!)

P.S. I also have a Mac and have not updated to sierra because there are as many horror stories circulating about it as there are for Win10 AND nobody seems to be coming up with much in the way of solutions so far.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:29 AM   #5
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Good luck with it but I would seriously suggest you do everything you can to sort it out in Win10 before doing anything drastic
Well, of course. I wouldn't be asking if I wasn't open to the possibility that 10 might work out for me. It does display LEVELS better, after all. And it's faster~!

But if it's to be a productivity killer, then I'm better off muddling along with 7 until I write that mega-platinum hit song and am able to have someone custom build a PC for me
Old 04-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #6
EvilDragon

W10 Pro rock solid here. If you're using Home, you brought it upon yourself.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:08 AM   #7
Geoff-h3o

Default 8 pcs here

2 Dell dual core OPTIPLEX, 3 Intel server boards with quad core Xeons, 1 asus, 1 Gigabye both running 8core amd cpus, old Toshiba dual core laptop. All run various upgrades of W 10 pro ( I keep my music pcs off the internet, which dispenses with the forced upgrade problem) - all work great, better than when some were on W 7 or 8 / 8.1.

What do I do with them all - well most were self - builds from ebay bargains and the Xeons are waiting for when my arrangements get big enough to need them. Most hooked together on gigabit lan and hoprfully with aggregate linking soon. In the meanwhile I can warm the place up if need be.
Geoff-h3o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 02:55 AM   #8
snooks
Banned

You can roll back updates....

https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how...on-windows-10/

But first, you should make sure your drivers are up to date. I use a thing called DriverBooster....

http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Which automatically finds all the very latest ones, which you can then choose to install or not.

Maybe buy a cheap OEM license for Win 10 Pro...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=windows+10+pro

... so you can defer upgrades.

And look at this thread about OSX - it's not just Sierra that's a trainwreck for a lot of people...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...interface.html

... it's OSX, which is a crap shoot and I really don't know why people want to buy Macs for audio these days when the low latency performance is hobbled by the EFI anyway.
snooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 03:24 AM   #9
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snooks View Post
You can roll back updates....

https://www.howtogeek.com/235474/how...on-windows-10/

But first, you should make sure your drivers are up to date. I use a thing called DriverBooster....

http://www.iobit.com/en/driver-booster.php

Which automatically finds all the very latest ones, which you can then choose to install or not.

Maybe buy a cheap OEM license for Win 10 Pro...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=windows+10+pro

... so you can defer upgrades.

And look at this thread about OSX - it's not just Sierra that's a trainwreck for a lot of people...

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/musi...interface.html

... it's OSX, which is a crap shoot and I really don't know why people want to buy Macs for audio these days when the low latency performance is hobbled by the EFI anyway.
Thanks for letting me know about the deals on Pro upgrades~! Good to know they can be had for a reasonable price.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:29 AM   #10
snooks
Banned

No worries, incidentally what crashed and what error message did you get?
Old 04-17-2017, 03:31 AM   #11
kevinwayne
Banned

Okay I'm going to have to look carefully... a lot of these say I need Pro already installed :-/
Old 04-17-2017, 04:21 AM   #12
snooks
Banned

You'd just be changing the product key in Windows->Settings->Update & Security->Activation.

So it smells like a full license would work, or an update from Home to Pro. I did it through the official Microsoft route for ~£80 though so can't advise any further.
Old 04-17-2017, 05:28 AM   #13
teashea

I have three computers and run Windows 10 on all of them with Reaper - I never have had a crash or any problem. You need to make sure you set up your system correctly.
teashea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #14
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
W10 Pro rock solid here. If you're using Home, you brought it upon yourself.
I have win 10 64 pro it sucks like all the other versions of win 10
Old 04-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #15
Gerry P

Quote:
I have win 10 64 pro it sucks like all the other versions of win 10
Not even close my friend - as ED said... rock solid - now "your" drivers may be another story.
Old 04-17-2017, 06:46 PM   #16
kevinwayne
Banned

Currently updating to Pro as we speak~!
Old 04-17-2017, 11:08 PM   #17
Curtis
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry P View Post
Not even close my friend - as ED said... rock solid - now "your" drivers may be another story.
There is not one thing I find good about win 10
Microsoft forces crap on a person that is worthless.
Such as one drive that to get rid of you have to go into the registry to make changes so it is able to be removed from the computer, the so called disable isn't good enough. You don't know for sure what it is doing in the so called disabled state.
You can't remove the items in windows 10, for all you know every time it does a so called update it is picking up the information that the disabled apps have collected.

What do I need the games item for, or there poor email software. Then there word and excel mobile apps can't print without a internet connection, is that another information collection app that they hide in those two apps.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:25 PM   #18
somebodyelseuk

Quote:
There is not one thing I find good about win 10
THEN INSTALL WINDOWS 7 AND QUIT WHINING!!!

Jesus. W10's been around nearly two years. The "Windows 10 is shit" thing has been done to death. There's enough info out there about how to sort it out and plenty of people here have PUT THE WORK IN and sorted their systems.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:30 PM   #19
kevinwayne
Banned

Wish I could say Pro solved all my problems but it crashed on me Mid-Render AGAIN about an hour ago AFAICS, all this back and forth about whether it is or isn't better doesn't amount to a hill of beans unless I get results. Looks like I'll be going back to 7 and am out $13 bucks. Live & learn.

I'm sure there are plenty of people who would SWEAR up & down that there's not a damn thing wrong with Home, except for the people using it. My wife's been on 10 since the 1st days of the giveaway, and doesn't report these problems at all. But she uses it for different things than I do.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:39 PM   #20
kevinwayne
Banned

https://itvision.altervista.org/why-...-10-sucks.html

Quote:
Windows 10 Pro edition has become more or less unsuitable for small enterprises because Windows 10 anniversary update removes the ability to disable the following "features" (more like annoyances):

*Microsoft Consumer Experience: personalized recommendations or, in simple terms, ads in the start menu.

*Windows Tips.

*The Lock Screen.

*Disable all apps from the Windows Store.

To disable these "features" you will have to purchase a subscription for Windows 10 Enterprise or Education editions.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #21
drumphil

Well, whatever you do, don't investigate what might be causing the problem that prevents your from rendering in windows 10 when everyone else can without problems.

The correct way is to whinge about windows, and downgrade before you get a chance to figure out what is causing the problem.

What the hell is windows "intro" version anyway?

No problems rendering anything with windows 10 home here. Or on any of the systems with the same OS at the radio station I work at.
drumphil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:40 PM   #22
Gerry P

Have you tried rendering to a different HDD?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #23
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
Have you tried rendering to different HDD?
Not sure what you mean.
Old 04-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #24
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumphil View Post
The correct way is to whinge about windows, and downgrade before you get a chance to figure out what is causing the problem
It's the only way of solving the problem that is incontrovertibly results-efficient.

Quote:
What the hell is windows "intro" version anyway?
???
Old 04-18-2017, 06:46 PM   #25
Gerry P

Just wondering if it's an HDD issue... if you run the project on another HDD and render, do you still crash?
Old 04-18-2017, 06:48 PM   #26
karbomusic

25 posts in, no crash report?

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-18-2017 at 07:30 PM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 07:35 PM   #27
kevinwayne
Banned

Quote:
Just wondering if it's an HDD issue... if you run the project on another HDD and render, do you still crash?
How would I do that? My PC has only one Hard Drive.
Old 04-18-2017, 07:36 PM   #28
kevinwayne
Banned

Back on 7, end of the bullshit, end of story.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:12 PM   #29
EvilDragon

So what's your hardware configuration?

This all smells like driver issues. You didn't post a crashlog, so you can't expect any solutions then. Whining about W10 is not a solution. You gave up far too easily.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:07 AM   #30
somebodyelseuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
So what's your hardware configuration?

This all smells like driver issues. You didn't post a crashlog, so you can't expect any solutions then. Whining about W10 is not a solution. You gave up far too easily.
In my experience, you spend an hour or so browsing the various Reaper forums and you stumble across some 'enlightening' threads that offer up clues to issues people are having.

This smells of hacked/cracked/demo/free software and probably more viruses than a heroin addicted hooker.
Old 04-19-2017, 02:39 AM   #31
Curtis
Banned

The solution to problems always goes to "driver issues" almost as often as the excuse "the check is on the mail" .

My microtrash computer uses no drivers for its midi devices everything is from microtrash, the only exception is asio4all.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:28 AM   #32
ivansc

Funny how most of the people claiming to have a ton of problems with Win10 either suddenly go really quiet about it (discovered their own meatware-generated problems or finally read the manual) or blunder off to Win XP Vista 7 8 or 8.1 which they are comfortable with. Either way all is good.

My late new year's resolution is not to rise to the bait any more. Anyone still ranting about win10 being useless either dosnt want it to work or is so incompetent on Computer use that they should hire someone to fix it for them.
My wife for example always tells everyone "I have a little man for all that stuff..." meaning me!
Funniest thing is that she is a very high level contractor in the IT business!

AND she is one of the luddites that insisted on reverting to Win7 after I upgraded her to 10.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:01 AM   #33
lowerbout

Quote:
Anyone still ranting about win10 being useless either dosnt want it to work or is so incompetent on Computer use that they should hire someone to fix it for them.

The same people said the same thing about Windows 7 when it came out but they are now praising it.
lowerbout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:08 AM   #34
ivansc

Quote:
The solution to problems always goes to "driver issues" almost as often as the excuse "the check is on the mail" .

My microtrash computer uses no drivers for its midi devices everything is from microtrash, the only exception is asio4all.

In many cases, "driver issues" is a polite way of saying "RTFM and set your computer up correctly"

It is particularly frustrating for those of us who DO try and help when it quickly becomes apparent that the person posting the problem is far more interested in complaining than actually doing anything to find and resolve the problem.
A fair number of people who used to post on here helping newbs etc no longer do so because of this. I am one of the ones who combines a genuine desire to help with a skin like a rhinocerous on most occasions.

Just the fact that you are using ASIO4ALL and expecting no issues recording multitrack audio/MIDI speaks volumes. Do your homework properly and unless you are one of a tiny unlucky minority that just have a hardwaresetup that doesnt like doing audio, you will find Win10 behaves at the very least as well as any previous version and in my case (and many others) it is actually performing better and more reliably.

Same message to doppelganger, too.
But there again IF you are 100% happy on your older OS, stick with it.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #35
karbomusic

Quote:
It is particularly frustrating for those of us who DO try and help when it quickly becomes apparent that the person posting the problem is far more interested in complaining than actually doing anything to find and resolve the problem.
We can scream and shake our hands at the sky in ignorance, or put our thinking caps on, stay focused and solve problems. This has nothing to do with OS version in the grand scheme of things. IF someone wants to complain, revert and be happy, more power to them as it's more important they get work done, and at that point any ignorance really is bliss and OK I'd imagine. Just don't spread the ignorance as if it were fact. In the most gentle way I know how to say it though, the comic attempt of screenshots in the first post, albeit entertaining, shoulda, woulda, coulda been the errors and/or crash report.

Last edited by karbomusic; 04-19-2017 at 10:36 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:26 PM   #36
haervo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinwayne View Post
That is nearly all BS. Install and run ShutUp10 (OOSU10) and you will be fine. The apps from the store: right click -> delete and done. So what?

Like IvanSC said: The problem is 99.99999% of the time the user. Win 10 is rock solid, if treated right, the best and most stable and fastest OS ever (Except ATARI TOS 4.01 - but that out of the equation for now).

IF I had a CRASH with Reaper on Win 10 I always knew why that happened: some experiments must be done to be sure. Never crashed without a reason in the last 2 years I use Win 10.

And the ebay-tip is golden: I have bought 2 licenses on ebay from a MS-certified dealer for 5.99€ each and activated them without any problem. The first license was free as upgrade from Win 7. For that price of a license you could really say that Win 10 is free, except you need an Enterprise license. Whats nearly never is the case.
Old 04-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #37
EvilDragon

Which plugins don't work for you on W10?

I've had exactly zero plugin issues since I moved to W10 Pro. Everything that worked on W7 still works on W10, and I got lower latency and overall snappier experience across the board.

W10 is great.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:18 PM   #38
juhhie

What is "Windows 10 intro version"?

I don't think getting Windows 10 Pro is going to fix anything if there are issues.
juhhie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 01:22 AM   #39
snooks
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by juhhie View Post
What is "Windows 10 intro version"?

I don't think getting Windows 10 Pro is going to fix anything if there are issues.
I agree, I do understand that people on Home can be worried about updates though and buying a cheap Win 10 Pro license allows them to officially defer upgrades. I find it puzzling that people apparently don't want to do that, but consider buying an expensive Mac instead. Where their first experience may well be USB audio not working, Wi-Fi cutting out when certain USB devices are plugged in, Safari causing system wide freezing and low latency operation being a shadow of what can be achieved on a PC.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:14 AM   #40
Curtis
Banned

Never have ever bought a windows os,not going to start doing that.