Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 01-04-2013, 08:18 AM   #1
namelessblob
Human being with feelings

Default Choppy, grumbly, delayed playback nastiness

I have a project going in Reaper, and in it I have at least 6 tracks with a orchestra plugin going (controlled by my MIDI controller). When I hit the playback, the audio gets garbled, laggy, and all around gross.

I think it might have something to do with latency/buffering, but I'm not educated enough in it to fix the problem. Help would be appreciated!

I'm running Reaper on a new laptop with 6 GIGs of ram, and an i7 quad-core. I can track down other specs if needed.
namelessblob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

- What REAPER version are you using? 32 or 64 bit?
- What is the plug-in?
- What is your audio interface and what ASIO buffer/latency settings are you using?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
namelessblob

64 bit. Just updated a few days ago, so the version is current.

The plugin is DSK Overture. Just checked too, and I have mda Piano running too.

I'm using a Behringer XENYX 1204. I downloaded the ASIO for it, but I've been using the standard WaveOut; when I select the Behringer ASIO, I lose all audio. Things have been working for tracking and playback so far, so I didn't stray outside of the standard settings. This is probably the root of the problem.

I have screwed around a little bit with the WaveOut buffer numbers though. Previously it was at 64 x 64, and I most recently (last night) changed it to a crazy 1200 x 64 to see if anything changed. I honestly don't know what I'm doing in that/this regard.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:29 AM   #4
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

- You should sort out first why the ASIO driver is giving you trouble, any other applications using audio running while you tried? Selected the in/output ranges in Preferences properly? Disabled the MS Wavetable synth in MIDI Devices (otherwise it will steal the audio device from the ASIO driver)?

- DSK plug-ins are usually SynthEdit based AFAIK, SE-based plug-ins need to be compiled later than 2009 or they'll suffer from bugs on multicore computers, also they sometimes don't run well in REAPER 64-bit (probably other 64-bit hosts too) anymore.
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:32 PM   #5
namelessblob

I installed ASIO4All, and everything seems to be working alright. I'll be sure to report back if I continue to have issues!