Old 09-09-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
daexpert
Banned

Default Ableton Live vs Reaper

Live is more like singing and Reaper is like writing it down on a piece of paper so you can sing it. A match made in heaven.
daexpert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:42 AM   #2
dazzathedrummer
Human being with feelings

yeah - I use Ableton live for all my writing as I can write a section and move it around easily - and very quickly come up with an arrangement and then change it or run different scenarios.

Then when I'm happy I'll reroute Live into Reaper for production/mixing/mastering.

It is a great combination.
Old 09-09-2010, 06:59 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzathedrummer View Post
Then when I'm happy I'll reroute Live into Reaper for production/mixing/mastering.
how do you do that exactly, please?
4.33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #4
dazzathedrummer

I meant to say Rewire not Reroute.

I cant remember what way round you do this, but if you open Reaper and then open Ableton, create a track in Reaper and add a 'Rewire' to the effects chain. In Ableton you should get 'Reaper' listed in the list of track sends.

You can send all of your audio and midi from Ableton tracks to different channels in your reaper track and then send them on to other reaper track as you like.

Both the transports will be sync'd so hitting space in Reaper will cause both DAW's to playback in sync.

Its really handy as you do get the best of both worlds.
Old 09-09-2010, 07:25 AM   #5
pc999

I also find Live better for composing, SOME KINDS OF MUSIC, althought the lack of things like Patterns and step sequencer or even Blocks/Session dont make Reaper any better in many cases too, IMO.

Reaper as a mixer/recorder is probably the best thing out there.
________
perfect tits Webcams

Last edited by pc999; 08-22-2011 at 04:50 PM.
pc999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #6
plamuk

hey, does anyone use Live lite rewired to Reaper so as to bypass Lite's limitations?
plamuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
John Allsup

Default Making Live-like jam facilities

The thought has occurred to me that, while the main Reaper devs probably have plenty to be doing already, to implement a Live style jam interface, what is needed for a quick and dirty implementation is the following:

A simple 'player' plugin for a track which plays a region, whether audio or midi (or quite possibly both, since then control signals could be listened to by things further down the effects chain)

A new 'jammer' window (as an extension, using the SDK), which gives the 'spreadsheet' layout of the Live jam view. This then sends control signals to the 'player' plugins.

Then there needs to be place to put the 'jam' regions (off the normal arrange page, but otherwise little different than a standard Reaper track so far as being a container is concerned, most likely if the Cockos devs were to do this there would be a large amount of code sharing, likely building the 'player' into the track itself. (Essentially a track in reaper is a playlist of regions, and a region either plays audio, or midi, and that gets sent into the effect chain. All we need different is that the track plays regions when triggered by a message, rather than being triggered by the playhead reaching a certain point. -- This ignores the behaviour when play starts in the middle of a region, but essentially this is a matter of triggering the region upon start of play, but at an offset into it.)

My thought is that most of the 'hard work' stuff is already done in Reaper.

I'm new to the Reaper SDK, and am new to VC++ (having just installed the community edition, basically never used it before). As yet, I can't get the SWS extensions to build, and am not in a position to sit down and figure out what to do with it.
Old 11-07-2010, 09:04 PM   #8
steveo42

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70srocker View Post
If you're into MIDI right? I use Reaper because I record with it just like I used to with my tape machines. I play guitar/bass and drums. The digital drum kit I play is the only thing I use the MIDI in Reaper for. Everynow and then I might lay dowm some pads with keys via MIDI...
That's how I work as well.
Old school, just like the good old days
steveo42 is offline   Reply With Quote