Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-10-2009, 04:10 AM   #1
Wolffman
Human being with feelings

Default MXL V67i vs Rode NT1-A

I just got a new MXL V67i LDC mic after reading some good reports about them hear in the forums and reviews etc. So i thought i'd compare it to my rode NT1-A, I set them up side by side with the v67i in warm mode, set the input levels on my rme FF400 so they were even ( in doing so i noticed the nt1-a is quite a bit more sensitive than the v67i ) and recorded a few lines of singing, if you could call it that . On playing back the audio i was surprised to hear they sounded very similar, not at all what i was expecting, I thought the v67i would be much more present than the nt1-a after reading about its focused movie narrator type sound.
Whilst there is some difference in sound to my ears, mainly in the low frequency range its sertainly far from what i was expecting but then, maybe there would be more noticeable difference in the context of a mix do you think?

I should mention that i have limited experience with mics in general, and i was obviously expecting an almost night & day difference, was my comparison flawed in some way ? how else could i compare them.

Heres a freq plot of the two in span

what do you think? are these plots really telling me anything about the actual sound of the mics or does it only represent the freq of my voice the mics recorded. hope that makes sence.

EDIT: When i flip the phase on 1 of the tracks is the sound i,m hearing the actual difference in sound of the mics ? ( the tracks were recorded similtaniously.)

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7

Last edited by Wolffman; 06-10-2009 at 04:30 AM.
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote