Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #1
Jae.Thomas
Human being with feelings

Default PC shuts down whilst locked or sleeping... using Boray Power.. problem?

it doesn't seem to happen every time, but when my pc goes into sleep, it turns off.

even before, I only had it locked, and it turned off!

no warning, and an error message when i restarted. It was backing up files at the time.

no real problems have resulted, mainly just an annoyance.

I use boraypower, which I have loved using, but wonder if maybe it went into sleep mode while the computer was locked, and then the sleep mode caused it to shut down.

here are my specs:
Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
windows 8 x64
EVGA 012-P3-2078-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi) Classified Ultra 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Jae.Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:35 PM   #2
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Brian Merrill View Post
it doesn't seem to happen every time, but when my pc goes into sleep, it turns off.

even before, I only had it locked, and it turned off!

no warning, and an error message when i restarted. It was backing up files at the time.

no real problems have resulted, mainly just an annoyance.

I use boraypower, which I have loved using, but wonder if maybe it went into sleep mode while the computer was locked, and then the sleep mode caused it to shut down.

here are my specs:
Intel Core i7-2700K Sandy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666)
windows 8 x64
EVGA 012-P3-2078-KR GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 448 Cores (Fermi) Classified Ultra 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
What is the error message? Have you looked in the Event Viewer to see the warnings and errors? Did it officially crash (is there a crashlog or dumpfile)?
What do you use for an interface?
I have been having similar issues, and I looked deeper into things and found the USB settings in the power scheme to be set to power down, even though I was supposedly using an "audio" power setting. I am also suspecting my on-board Intel graphics chipset; it is not yet officially updated to run with Windows 8.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:47 PM   #3
Swede

That's a nice rig you have. To be able to help you it would be good to know how the computer shuts down. Does the power just pop off or does it crash and shut down or does it shut down gracefully? The normal behavior from a crash is that the computer will restart as far as I know.

If the power just pops off then it's most likely a bad power supply. If it crashes check event logs or error messages for a culprit or see if you can nail it down by recreating the problem. Memory check will not hurt and is easy to do. A graceful shutdown is likely caused by a shutdown command so you need to figure out where that comes from.

Something to think about....
Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:00 AM   #4
Jae.Thomas

http://screencast.com/t/5YD45AzZReA

http://screencast.com/t/sBqJdo9e

Old 08-07-2013, 06:40 AM   #5
Boray

I doubt it's because of Boray Power. I lock my computer now and then and no problems there. I never put it to sleep though, because the bios in my computer doesn't seem to support it very well. If I put it to sleep, it immediately wakes up again. Not very useful...
Old 08-07-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boray View Post
I doubt it's because of Boray Power. I lock my computer now and then and no problems there. I never put it to sleep though, because the bios in my computer doesn't seem to support it very well. If I put it to sleep, it immediately wakes up again. Not very useful...
could boray power be working whilst the computer is locked? I think that's the only thing -
Old 08-07-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
richie43

Those 2 errors are just reporting that it happened. Look at the times, and then look at the warnings that were sent right before the "unexpected shutdown". Also, get the free app "Who Crashed", install and run that if you are not a super geek able to debug a dumpfile. It has helped me zero in on problems before. But the message you posted (the screemshots) don't tell why, they just are the messages saying that it shut down. But this is disturbingly similar to my issues. Did you look deeper at the power settings like I suggested? Since I found the USB settings that were erroneously set to power down, I have not had a mysterious shut down.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
Boray

Quote:
could boray power be working whilst the computer is locked? I think that's the only thing -
Yes, all of your programs will continue to run while the computer is locked. I looked at the boray power stats - "switches to power save" before and after I locked the computer and there was one more after I unlocked it.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:13 AM   #9
Jae.Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boray View Post
Yes, all of your programs will continue to run while the computer is locked. I looked at the boray power stats - "switches to power save" before and after I locked the computer and there was one more after I unlocked it.
ok well im sure it isn't your program (which i love, btw).
Old 08-07-2013, 07:21 AM   #10
Boray

Quote:
ok well im sure it isn't your program (which i love, btw).
I'm glad you do! Sorry for your computer problem though!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:22 AM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
Is there a minidump in C:\Windows\Minidump that matches the timeframe above? If so send it to me, if not it sounds like the machine literally lost power unless there is another event in the system log showing a BSOD or bugcheck.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:24 AM   #12
Jae.Thomas

nothing in the minidump folder.

I wonder if this has to do with some kind of BIOS power setting?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:41 AM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
nothing in the minidump folder.

I wonder if this has to do with some kind of BIOS power setting?
Sleep/hibernate/power settings are finicky and can be troublesome with some hardware/drivers and putting them to sleep. I'd have expected there to be a corresponding event but anything is possible.

If it just started happening, check the event logs for the very first occurrence. You might also remove Boray's app just long enough to confirm. I think his app is fine but its subsequent conditions that may occur after the app changes settings. Again, sleep and some drivers/protocols can be troublesome moving in and out of certain combinations of power states.

Also, you are sure it was 100% off, you didn't have to force it off and reboot or anything right? It was just 100% no power?
Old 08-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
Boray

I just came to think about a thing. My computer suddenly shut off a couple of times a year ago or something. It turned out to be a faulty high voltage protection device I had for the computer's power.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 AM   #15
Jim Roseberry

Hi Jae,

What happens if you disable sleep mode?
Go into Power Management... and disable all options where the OS can throttle down or power down.
Jim Roseberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:41 AM   #16
Jae.Thomas

nothing happens if it doesn't go into sleep mode. thing is, I would like to USE sleep mode
Old 09-03-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
Boray

Hey, did you solve this problem?
Old 09-04-2013, 03:24 AM   #18
buggyboy

Can't help the OP but this program sounds really interesting!

Thank you for sharing it!
buggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote