Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 06-02-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
Goldenvoice
Human being with feelings

Default 5ORCERY pegs and freezes meters when loading presets?

Downloaded 5ORCERY (multi-band comp) and installed it today. The compressor loads and runs fine, until I choose a preset, at which time the meters peak and stick. I have to unload, then reload the plug, and it starts all over again.

Ideas?
Goldenvoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
richie43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldenvoice View Post
Downloaded 5ORCERY (multi-band comp) and installed it today. The compressor loads and runs fine, until I choose a preset, at which time the meters peak and stick. I have to unload, then reload the plug, and it starts all over again.

Ideas?
I know that the plugin is coded with either synth-edit or synth-maker, and I also know that many systems have issues with that.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:00 AM   #3
Stu

You should shoot an email to Dan (the creator of the plugin), his address is available here: http://www.platinumears.com/

Dan is a Reaper user too and I'm sure he will be happy to help you, as he is a thoroughly nice chap.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #4
NightofNi

I just discovered this plugin and have problems loading it too. Too bad cause it's really great.
NightofNi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #5
YanHurd

Does anybody know any solution or workaround to this issue yet?

I'd love to use 5ORCERY more often - but even with the latest version of REAPER and several "buggy plugins" compatibility modes activated, it still freezes and mutes randomly, and sometimes even crashes while loading/unloading. Normally, I have to remove the plugin, load and reconfigure it again - just to have it working properly for the current active session ... until saving and reloading the project, where I have to start again.

Any hints or news on that?

Many thanks and best regards!
YanHurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
Fergler

I can't say I have the same problem. I've used 5orcery religiously for a while now. 64 or 32 bit Reaper?

My situation is I am running it in 64 bit Reaper with Run as Embedded bridged UI ON.
Fergler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:58 AM   #7
bladerunner

I'm afraid I can't solve anyone's problems here - just add to the woe as 5orcery does indeed crash Reaper for me regularly. Only on project load though. I usually have to reload a project once or twice to get it to behave itself. Once it's up though there are no problems whilst in use. Very nice plugin that I use in around 30% of my masters I would say. Extremely useful for transparently 'filling in' areas of the frequency spectrum rather than using a regular eq.
Old 12-19-2014, 02:11 PM   #8
Stu

I don't use the plugin myself but as I said earlier, anyone having problems should shoot an email to Dan (the creator of the plugin), his address is available here: http://www.platinumears.com/

Dan is a Reaper user too and I'm sure he will be happy to help you, as he is a thoroughly nice chap.
Stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 03:54 PM   #9
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu View Post
I don't use the plugin myself but as I said earlier, anyone having problems should shoot an email to Dan (the creator of the plugin), his address is available here: http://www.platinumears.com/

Yeah I think I will shoot him an email at some point. I haven't found anything that does the same job in the same way. I tried the Toneboosters dynamic eq a year or so ago but it's gui kept freezing up so I left it alone.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:26 AM   #10
YanHurd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
I can't say I have the same problem. I've used 5orcery religiously for a while now. 64 or 32 bit Reaper?
I'm using REAPER v 4.76 32 bit on a Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit OS, and therefor the 32 bit version of all the plugins I use. However, I do not know of any 64 bit version of 5ORCERY anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Yeah I think I will shoot him an email at some point.
Have you already done so? I wouldn't want to annoy him too much by flooding his inbox with similar requests ...

Many thanks for your help and replies!
Old 12-20-2014, 04:04 AM   #11
Wolffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladerunner View Post
Yeah I think I will shoot him an email at some point. I haven't found anything that does the same job in the same way. I tried the Toneboosters dynamic eq a year or so ago but it's gui kept freezing up so I left it alone.
Have you tried TB FlX lately ? i was using 5orcery up until i got FlX but haven't needed 5orcery since.
Don't get me wrong, 5orcery is a great plugin but FlX is just so much more versatile, i love it.

5orcery is working fine here but i'm still on REAPER v3.78 and win XP.

Cheers

https://soundcloud.com/wolffman7
Wolffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:07 AM   #12
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by YanHurd View Post
Have you already done so? I wouldn't want to annoy him too much by flooding his inbox with similar requests
Yeah I've just done so
Old 12-20-2014, 04:08 AM   #13
bladerunner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolffman View Post
Have you tried TB FlX lately ? i was using 5orcery up until i got FlX but haven't needed 5orcery since.
Don't get me wrong, 5orcery is a great plugin but FlX is just so much more versatile, i love it.

5orcery is working fine here but i'm still on REAPER v3.78 and win XP.

Cheers
Yeah FIX was the one I was talking about - I found the gui very laggy and the cpu use was spiking. That was over a year ago though - will try it again soon.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
IIRs

Hi All,

Glad you like the plug, and sorry it's been causing you issues...

It was Synthmaker I used to make it, so these kinds of crashing issues would have to be resolved by the SM devs... Unfortunately it's no longer being developed, and has been replaced by some fairly expensive robotics software that I've not had time to investigate yet.*

That and that fact that I'm way too busy these days means it's unlikely there will be a fix for the plug (or a 64 bit version, in case anyone planned to ask). Sorry about that.

I'm leaving plugin development to the real developers now, as I don't have the skills to compete. I just make tutorial videos for them instead.

I am aware that there is an issue with preset management. My suggestion would be: ignore the presets. Actually I kind of wish I hadn't included any! I designed it to be as easy to use as possible, with just four main controls for each band compressor: you will probably get better results if you tweak each band to fit the music you're processing rather than just slap on a preset.

I'm wondering if the people crashing on loading are using presets as starting points? If so, stop it. I've used it a lot myself, bridged in 64 bit reaper, and rarely have issues. But I never load any presets.

A commercial alternative you might want to consider: Fabfilter Pro-MB in its default "dynamic phase" mode basically works the same way as 5orcery, in that it's actually a dynamic EQ under the hood. Set it up with 5 roughly equally spaced bands with gentle 12dB/oct slopes, and keep the compressor knee nice and soft, and you will be in similar territory. I know it's more expensive than my plug. Sorry: you get what you pay for

Dan.

* Flowstone is the name. I do plan at some point to set up robotic remote controlled mic stands so I can position drum overheads from the control room, but it's not an immediate priority.
IIRs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #15
bladerunner

Thanks for the reply and explanation Fully understand that plugins are not your focus now. I don't personally use any of the presets - how strange that preset management should cause bugs serious enough to crash a host. It seems to be a lot more stable in Mixcraft so I will continue to use it in that.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:44 AM   #16
YanHurd

Hi Dan,

many thanks for your immediate and detailed reply, and for this excellent and free plugin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIRs View Post
I am aware that there is an issue with preset management. My suggestion would be: ignore the presets.
I know that the OP refers to issues with the presets. However, I do experience the same issues from time to time without even looking at those. Just some minutes ago, a 5ORCERY plugin instance has been freezing upon a new load of the project just the same way - without having used any preset.

Any hints from anybody how to avoid that?

EDIT: I just found out that somehow the "buggy plugin compatibility mode" was unset for 5ORCERY in this specific version of REAPER... with it being re-activated the plugin loads and works fine! :-) Thanks again!

Best regards,

Yan

Last edited by YanHurd; 12-30-2014 at 02:29 PM.