Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #1
gridlove
Human being with feelings

Default Osc for android thread....

So, in my pursuit to get some kind of editable interface for osc on android I have started digging into an app called "control" by charlie roberts.
It`s on the app store and it`s free

So, to get all this working the way I have you need a few things:

Dropbox
Control app from android market
this link for a reference to the different widgets and stuff:
http://charlie-roberts.com/Control/?page_id=32

ok, so install the control app on your android device.
Install dropbox and then create a file called test.js and put it in the public folder in dropbox.

Now edit test.js in notepad, copy and paste this without the ------------:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

loadedInterfaceName = "template";

interfaceOrientation = "portrait";

pages = [[
{
"name": "refresh",
"type": "Button",
"bounds": [.0, .0, .2, .1],
"startingValue": 0,
"isLocal": true,
"mode": "contact",
"ontouchstart": "interfaceManager.refreshInterface()",
"stroke": "#aaa",
"label": "refrsh",
},
{
"name": "tabButton",
"bounds": [.0, .9, .2, .1],
"mode": "toggle",
"address" : "/play",
"stroke": "#bbb",
"label": "play2",
},

{
"name": "tabButton",
"bounds": [.2, .9, .2, .1],
"mode": "toggle",
"address" : "/play",
"stroke": "#bbb",
"label": "record",
},

]

];

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Save the file and then right click on the test.js file, go to "dropbox" and then click on copy public link.
Paste this into notepad.

Now, go into the control app and the first screen you should see will be the interfaces screen.
Click the little plus sign and put the url you pasted into notepad earlier into the interface url box, click submit.

Now, in the interfaces list you should see at the bottom one called "template".
Click that and your done with the interface part.

Now whenever you make changes to the test.js file in dropbox and save, all you need to do is click on the refresh button in the control app and it will update your changes.

Now to set it up for communication with reaper you need to go to destination and then add in the ip of the machine reaper is installed on and also the port you want it to send to, best to stick to port 8000.

Now if you look in the preferences pane in the app you will see the osc receive port is locked at 8080 so you need to make sure this corresponds with reaper.

Your reaper settings should be as follows:

Recieve on port: 8000
Send to port: 8080
Device IP: put your device ip here.

Ok, if you made it this far, click on the listen button in reaper and press the play2 button on your android device.
You should see "play" pop up and also the transport should start to play

This is a learning process for me but I thought I could put up where I`m at so far.

Hope this is useful to someone
gridlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 05:19 AM   #2
Subz

if this app had a GUI to make the OSC templates it would be rather interesting! as it is it looks to me imposable for me to match my TouchOSC preset in Control,

Subz
Subz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 06:50 AM   #3
gridlove

Well, I`ve been at it for a few hours and although I don`t think its impossible, I doubt very much it`s achievable for me either
Hopefully touch osc will be updated soon and then I wont have to mess around so much.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
jedstar2000

Default TouchDAW

Anyone tried this

http://www.humatic.de/htools/touchdaw/index.htm

says it controls reaper via Make control (Kinke)

Last edited by jedstar2000; 03-06-2012 at 11:20 AM.
jedstar2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
Sexan

Someone try pddroid ,it can run standalone patches so if someone pure data smart can make an interface it would be awesome
Sexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
norbury brook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedstar2000 View Post
Anyone tried this

http://www.humatic.de/htools/touchdaw/index.htm

says it controls reaper via Make control (Kinke)

I use it everyday in my studio when recording by myself. Works great on my android tablet.

MC
Old 03-06-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
gridlove

I had a little look at pddroid but got completely lost :/
Old 03-12-2012, 12:44 AM   #8
buggyboy

I've tried both and prefer the Android. The apple stuff has more polish and shine and the iOS stuff can be pretty cool, but it's expensive to upgrade. Android tablets, on the other hand, can be purchased dirt-cheap if you know where to look and have almost identical functionality. The best android tablet is especially nice, with gesture-based controls and a slick, tabbed interface a la Chrome. It also runs flash, which is nice.
buggyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
johnrule

I worked on adding Sliders and Dials to the Android conversion code for the RTE3:

I attached the project file to this message, but it is included with the install too.

One thing you might find convenient is the ability to test the project before you actually convert and upload, and you can change the controls any way you like including different images (on and off).

You can download and use the software from here:

RTE3 Download

Android 3.2 or higher is required.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Android_Control.zip (80.9 KB, 414 views)
johnrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #10
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sexan View Post
Someone try pddroid ,it can run standalone patches so if someone pure data smart can make an interface it would be awesome
I don't have an Android device, but I'd like to see at some point what I can do with one. I have already prototyped an OSC client/server in Pd, that also does back and forth conversion to MIDI (which would not be needed for use with only an Android tablet as a controller), and is almost feature complete now (which is not to say that it is optimized or tested for all kinds of corner cases, as I have not even started looking at that).

So porting the OSC stuff to PdDroid should not be hard at all, but creating a neat basic user interface for use on a tablet would require some more work. I may try to do so with the RjDj app/platform as well, which contains a version of Pd. My current patches are not optimized for use with a tablet at all, and using the Pd UI for control has not been optimized either, because I use it mainly with a MIDI controller (most of the GUI does work for control, but currently I am mainly using it for visual feedback). And, it is still ugly as hell.

Btw: I consider myself far from "pure data smart". It's not hard to get it working at all, but it's quite hard to find out the best way to do things (as in many other cases). Especially when things become complex, because you want complex things - sometimes you have to be a real genius to keep things simple, it seems.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #11
johnrule

I just wanted to clarify that the "Midi" controls in the image use MIDI2NET or Midi over TCP and UDP. So this test template is a mixture of OSC, TCP, UDP, and MIDI2NET...all network control protocols.

I was just experimenting with controlling Reaper via OSC and the commands are very simple. For example, the following command is "Play":

Code:
SEND.OSC("192.168.123.11:9000", "t/play", "s", "0", .01);
The "s" indicates a simple string parameter, and the "0" is ignored (.01 is a delay). If I wanted to send a float value (to control Master Volume for example) I would change the type parameter to "f", and change the string in the "REPEAT" script like this:

Code:
SEND.OSC("192.168.123.11:9000","n/master/volume", "f", ctlValue, .01 );
Where "ctlValue" is a variable or a literal value.

and so on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrule View Post
I worked on adding Sliders and Dials to the Android conversion code for the RTE3:

Last edited by johnrule; 03-12-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:57 AM   #12
johnrule

Attached is another project for the RTE3 called "Reaper_OSC_Control":

It is a work in progress, so there is no feedback yet, and tracks 21-40 don't exist yet, but all of the buttons do control Reaper. Simply put your IP address and port into the fields at the top and press "Update"...and control!

I haven't tried Android conversion yet, but much of this should translate. You can certainly use it live (i.e. without any conversion) in the RTE though.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Reaper_OSC_Control.zip (72.4 KB, 239 views)
Old 03-14-2012, 06:20 PM   #13
johnrule

I added IP address and port change ability from Android...simply type in the new values and press "Update". The colored pads correspond to the OSC "midiaction" commands for now. I still need to implement feedback, so it is one-way control for right now:

The screen size needs to be 800x600 for this project, but you can easily delete/copy/paste in the RTE editor to customize. Below are the links to the RTE3 project file for editing, and the Android .apk file that you can upload and use right away:

RTE3 Reaper OSC Project

[edit]
This App is now in the Google Android App store, and the .apk is marked as free to copy. It's titled "OSC Control" from RCS Programming.

Have fun!

Last edited by johnrule; 03-20-2012 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Link change
Old 03-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #14
johnrule

I updated the project to receive transport feedback, and the sliders have a new thumb:

This App is now in the Google Android App store, and the .apk is marked as free to copy. It's titled "OSC Control" from RCS Programming.

Last edited by johnrule; 03-20-2012 at 01:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnrule View Post
If the Android Store would be anything like Apple's App Store, you would have received a rejection letter sometime next week telling you to fix your typos (Repaet, at the top).
Old 03-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #16
johnrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banned View Post
If the Android Store would be anything like Apple's App Store, you would have received a rejection letter sometime next week telling you to fix your typos (Repaet, at the top).
Thanks! Fixing...
Old 03-20-2012, 01:47 PM   #17
Banned

You're welcome.

Perhaps you can also help out a fellow REAPER user here?
Old 02-15-2013, 05:28 PM   #18
Sound asleep

This looks very cool, I'm just uncertain exactly on how to get it working.

I have download the editing software for it as well, but i think i need further android editing software in order to render the project. i just wanted to size it a little better for my particular tablet.

One little bit of constructive criticism, which idk if you have any power over, but the sliders seem to slide at a faster rate than you move your fingers, which isn't a catastrophe, and may even be kind of good cause you can see them better, but it's a little odd and unexpected.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:31 PM   #19
Sound asleep

it was sdk i needed, am downloading, and checking out youtube videos on this subject.
Old 02-15-2013, 05:56 PM   #20
Sound asleep

figured out how to get it setup. pretty easy. go into preferences, and controls surface, choose osc, find your ip of your tablet or phone in the wifi preferences on your android device, and put the corresponding information both in reaper and in reaper control osc, mostly the defaults are perfect.

i have one kind of related question though, how can i get my tablet to use only a styatic ip while i'm at home? I could see this ip changing all the time, which would get really annoying to have to change it in settings every time i want to use it.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:41 PM   #21
johnrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
figured out how to get it setup. pretty easy. go into preferences, and controls surface, choose osc, find your ip of your tablet or phone in the wifi preferences on your android device, and put the corresponding information both in reaper and in reaper control osc, mostly the defaults are perfect.
Kudos for figuring it out...it's actually somewhat convoluted in terms of having the Android SDK, Ant, Java, etc. I imagine many people give up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound asleep View Post
i have one kind of related question though, how can i get my tablet to use only a styatic ip while i'm at home? I could see this ip changing all the time, which would get really annoying to have to change it in settings every time i want to use it.
Even with DHCP you can have some fixed IP addresses, but you have to set it up that way in your router. However, on a small personal network, IP addresses are generally re-used, so it may not be a problem in your situation.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #22
johnrule

The included example project called "Reaper OSC Control" allows you to change the socket and server on-the-fly. In the upper right corner are the fields where you type in you new ip address and port (for sending) and the tablet port (for the server). So, the socket is not hard-coded into that project at all.

You can also copy and paste that entire corner of objects into your own project and it will work...just be careful of names, and use "0.0.0.0" for any ip address that you want replaced in any control with the global socket.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:42 AM   #23
buddhajuke

Default Touchosc for Android finally updated to include custom layouts...

Heads up... Touchosc for Android has been updated now to include custom layouts. Working great here.
buddhajuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #24
musicman1007

Very impressive looking app, JohnRule - downloading now to give it a whirl.

*edit*
Well, maybe not. It doesn't seem to like my phone very much

Last edited by musicman1007; 07-18-2013 at 11:10 AM.
musicman1007 is offline   Reply With Quote