Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > Dstruct's Casa De Nitpicks

Old 08-18-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
Tod
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper has the PATH, so WHY, WHY, WHY...!

When I open the file that has had some Audio files moved (for various reasons) and I do a search, Reaper takes me way back into some remote C:\Drive area.

Since I've obviously clicked on the file that I want to load, Reaper knows the path to that file, so why don't it start out there?

-------

Here's another thing that I think Reaper should do regarding paths.

When you do a search for a missing file, and you click on a folder that is ahead of the folder for the missing file(s), Reaper should be able to pick up any missing files that is ahead of the folder you clicked on.

Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 08:24 PM   #2
Runaway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tod View Post
Since I've obviously clicked on the file that I want to load, Reaper knows the path to that file, so why don't it start out there?
I'm no expert but sometimes (and it is probably an option) you can have 'relative' paths and not 'absolute' paths in the RPP
This means that Reaper looks in and below the folder the RPP is in

Happy to be corrected
Old 08-18-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post
I'm no expert but sometimes (and it is probably an option) you can have 'relative' paths and not 'absolute' paths in the RPP

Happy to be corrected
Hi Runaway, I figured when I posted this someone would come along and say, "hey you can do this".

Thankyou, I think what you're talking about is the paths in Preferences. I need to experiment with those a little more.

I wonder if the Manual gives any clear explanation on how all that works. I've been kind of reluctant to experiment not knowing what might happen. But those who use Reaper and hesitate will probably not get there.

Thanks Runaway.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runaway View Post

Happy to be corrected
Okay, I've searched this out a little more. I couldn't find anything about "Absolute Paths".

I did find a couple of things about "Relative Paths" but I already had the one in Preferences checked, and the one in Project Settings would not apply to what I'm talking about here.

So I don't think there is a means to get Reaper to use the current path when you go to Browse for a missing file. So I think my original question stands.

Basically I think my whole original post stands.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

I'm not sure I understand that, have you tried the autosearch option on the project load/missing media files dialog?

Apart from that, I don't have to check anything there and it doesn't make a difference if I use "search" or "browse", once I point it to the folder where the first missing file is, it looks for the others there and loads the project without further interruption.

How have you setup your projects/paths in Preferences and Project Settings? (I have Project Settings blank and my main projects folder in Preferences.)
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 12:15 PM   #6
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
I'm not sure I understand that, have you tried the autosearch option on the project load/missing media files dialog?

Apart from that, I don't have to check anything there and it doesn't make a difference if I use "search" or "browse", once I point it to the folder where the first missing file is, it looks for the others there and loads the project without further interruption.

How have you setup your projects/paths in Preferences and Project Settings? (I have Project Settings blank and my main projects folder in Preferences.)
Thanks Ollie, what happens for me most of the time, when I go to load a project and some files are missing, Reaper's Search/Browse takes me back to some remote place on the C:\Drive, and I have to Browse back to my D:\Drive, find the project folder, and select the Audio folder.

My thinking is that, since Reaper already knows where the folder is for the Project file I'm trying to load, why can't it also start the search with that folder. I think that makes a lot more sense.

In regards to the folder where the first missing file is, yes, if you point to the folder the files are in it will load all of them. However, I would really like to see it setup the way Kontakt does it, if you click on any folder that is above the folder where the files are, it will find all the files below the folder that you clicked on. Even if you simply clicked on the D:\ drive, it would eventually find them, although it would take a while.

Of course this isn't a great big deal, but since this is the Nitpick tread, this is my nitpick of the week.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:49 PM   #7
GregHolmes

Quote:
...once I point it to the folder where the first missing file is...
I think Tod's point is that he shouldn't have to do that, since REAPER should automatically use the path to the project file as a starting search path.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #8
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHolmes View Post
I think Tod's point is that he shouldn't have to do that, since REAPER should automatically use the path to the project file as a starting search path.
Yep, you got it Greg..
Old 08-19-2014, 02:38 PM   #9
Ollie

OK I understand it should be in the project folder. Didn't occur to me since my main projects folder is right in the middle of the folder selection dialog of the search button if I'd have to select it, but I don't. I just click "OK" (or just hit the Enter key) and it's auto-searching the main project folder (which has all projects in it as subfolders), and it does auto-search it recursively.

Last edited by Ollie; 08-19-2014 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #10
Tod

Quote:
OK I understand it should be in the project folder.
Whooo, that goes by quickly.

I don't have a clue what you're doing Ollie but I doubt very much what you show here relates to anything I'm doing.

Your little vid went by so fast it was hard to see anything but I did try to capture it the best I could.

https://stash.reaper.fm/21546/Ollies%...%20Vid%201.PNG

So tell me Ollie, if you actually do know, how can I get my search so that it starts at my Project Folder.

Edit: And what's all that green stuff? That looks like my old DOS days.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:17 PM   #11
Mr. Data

I reckon (not sure though), The option "Look for project media items in project directory before qualified path" in "Options -> Preferences -> Project" in the frame "Project loading" could have something to do with it. If it is checked and one media is found, it loads the others in this folder as well. Otherwise it doesn't

Maybe this is rubbish.

HTH anyway.

-Data
Old 08-19-2014, 04:40 PM   #12
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Data View Post
I reckon (not sure though), The option "Look for project media items in project directory before qualified path" in "Options -> Preferences -> Project" in the frame "Project loading" could have something to do with it. If it is checked and one media is found, it loads the others in this folder as well. Otherwise it doesn't

Maybe this is rubbish.

HTH anyway.

-Data
Hey, Data, I don't know anything about what your talking about and I won't be able to check it out until tomorrow, but if you're right you win the PRIZE which is a free tour of your local Holiday Inn.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #13
Ollie

Quote:
I don't have a clue what you're doing Ollie but I doubt very much what you show here relates to anything I'm doing.
You wrote:

Quote:
When I open the file that has had some Audio files moved (for various reasons) and I do a search, Reaper takes me way back into some remote C:\Drive area.
I understood (maybe wrong) that you mean a "project file" by

Quote:
When I open the file that has had some Audio files moved
and that's what I did - I moved an .RPP out of its project folder to some place (so all audio files are gone from the POV of the .RPP) and loaded it...

Quote:
Edit: And what's all that green stuff? That looks like my old DOS days.
...using a "Norton Commander" file manager clone, that's the first picture, not a later one. On the right pane of the file manager you can see the contents of the 'D:\Projects' folder - more folders, one for each project.

So REAPER loads the project and complains about the first missing audio file. I click "Search" and the folder selection dialog comes up.

Since REAPER knows (it stores that in reaper.ini) from my last search(es) that I want it to start searching in the main project folder 'D:\Projects', it highlights that "Projects" folder automatically, so I only have to hit <Enter> to start the search.

REAPER starts to search for the file recursively (= it looks in all project subfolders in the D:\Projects folder) and finds the first one. Then it automatically looks for the next missing file in the same folder and loads them all this way. That's why the last picture is a track with some 6 audio files, which is all the project had.

I can move anything anywhere, REAPER will find it after clicking "Search" and hitting <Enter> as long it's somewhere in the main D:\Projects folder and I selected that folder once to make REAPER start all following searches in that folder.

I should mention that sloppy project and track naming may or may not increase the risk of REAPER loading a duplicate file somewhere else instead, and the search may take considerably longer if the project folder is huge and it's the first search of the day.

Quote:
I reckon (not sure though), The option "Look for project media items in project directory before qualified path" in "Options -> Preferences -> Project" in the frame "Project loading" could have something to do with it
That's 1.) unchecked and 2.) wouldn't change anything except the order where REAPER tries to load a file first I think (independent from missing files, nothing to do with that).

Last edited by Ollie; 08-19-2014 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 05:47 PM   #14
Mr. Data

Quote:
Hey, Data, I don't know anything about what your talking about and I won't be able to check it out until tomorrow, but if you're right you win the PRIZE which is a free tour of your local Holiday Inn.
It's rarely ever the case, that I know what I'm talking about myself, hence.....

Quote:
Quote:
I reckon (not sure though), The option "Look for project media items in project directory before qualified path" in "Options -> Preferences -> Project" in the frame "Project loading" could have something to do with it
That's 1.) unchecked and 2.) wouldn't change anything except the order where REAPER tries to load a file first I think (independent from missing files, nothing to do with that).
Yes, but isn't that just the point, that Reaper first doesn't search in the project directory, but somewhere else? So, when it searches there (in the project directory) it will find the files, but when it searches somewhere else, it doesn't. What am I missing?

These are only thoughts, 'cos it works and has already worked for me without a problem.

-Data
Old 08-19-2014, 06:00 PM   #15
Tod

Hi Ollie, so how exactly does this work, it looks like you have one main Project Folder?

If so, of course that would never work for me. I have many various types of projects, some are my own, some are old clients, some are video projects, etc. etc.. Each project will have it's own location with it's own audio folders. Every project is a separate entity.

So what would you recommend for that? As it is now, I have both check boxes checked in the "Replace missing file...", would you recommend something different than that?
Old 08-20-2014, 01:11 PM   #16
Tod

Quote:
Hi Ollie, so how exactly does this work, it looks like you have one main Project Folder?

If so, of course that would never work for me. I have many various types of projects, some are my own, some are old clients, some are video projects, etc. etc.. Each project will have it's own location with it's own audio folders. Every project is a separate entity.

So what would you recommend for that? As it is now, I have both check boxes checked in the "Replace missing file...", would you recommend something different than that?
Bumb, I would like to know if there is an answer to this.

Or is this maybe FR material.
Old 08-20-2014, 02:15 PM   #17
PitchSlap

This is a common gripe I have with a lot of programs (Kontakt especially). When auto-searching for a missing file, instead of starting near the expected location first (and finding the file in seconds) they start searching in a linear fashion from C:\root and 5 minutes later find the file near where it was supposed to be in the first place. Ugh!
Old 08-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #18
Mr. Data

Yes, especially NI software is prone to that. It's the same with Battery.

-Data
Old 08-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #19
Tod

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
This is a common gripe I have with a lot of programs (Kontakt especially). When auto-searching for a missing file, instead of starting near the expected location first (and finding the file in seconds) they start searching in a linear fashion from C:\root and 5 minutes later find the file near where it was supposed to be in the first place. Ugh!
Hi PitchSlap, heh heh, I've had the opposite experience with Kontakt. That's why I referenced it above, If I select any folder that is above the samples, nkr file, nki, nkm, or even just plain wallpaper, Kontakt will find it. I have to admit, I've got all my Kontakt files organized pretty well so that things can be found in their logic place, but then I do that with all my projects and sample libraries.

Quote:
Yes, especially NI software is prone to that. It's the same with Battery.
Hey Data, I've got BAttery, I just got it with Konplete 9, but I haven't tried to use it yet so you might be right.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:06 PM   #20
Mr. Data

I had this problem when setting up everything at home, being confident that everything would work fine in the rehearsal room of the band I was in, and then ...

'%()=%?($()§

... or even when I have opened a project that I had not opened for a long time and/or was ported from an old computer to my new one, since from XP to Win7 some paths had changed.

-Data
Old 08-20-2014, 07:51 PM   #21
Tod

Quote:
I had this problem when setting up everything at home, being confident that everything would work fine in the rehearsal room of the band I was in, and then ...

'%()=%?($()§

... or even when I have opened a project that I had not opened for a long time and/or was ported from an old computer to my new one, since from XP to Win7 some paths had changed.

-Data
Aah yes, and I guess I should clarify some of what I said. When I say Kontakt starts at the top and works down, I don't mean that it does that automatically. I first have to point to a folder that is above the file(s) I'm looking for.