Old 05-03-2012, 12:14 PM   #1
serr
Human being with feelings

Default mastering opinions?

It seems like it might be appropriate to go a bit higher in level (a little into brick-wall with a limiter) for a CD (16/44.1) version of a master compared to the 24/96 or 24/88.2 version which should not go into brick-wall territory. Now that CD has become the lossy quickie format and the mp3/portable crowd usually makes their mp3's from the CD version and all that.

My thinking is that since the industry has started selling these new reduced dynamic range devices, that I have to start providing content for them since normal dynamic range (what I consider normal anyway) is beyond their capability.
So I guess what I'm proposing is to start considering the CD format the vehicle for this. And this might actually make more sense to my brain than just keeping the CD format around as a reduced quality format.

I want to continue to turn my nose up at the crushing loudness war thing as well as the idea that it's somehow OK to sell reduced quality (CD) in 2012. This way I could say "Here's the album. Oh, you need a version for a portable player? Sure, we made one of those too."

Opinions?

Last edited by serr; 05-03-2012 at 03:56 PM.
serr is offline   Reply With Quote