Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 05-26-2017, 03:13 PM   #1
EvilDragon
Human being with feelings

Default Reaper doesn't seem to be doing anything on HorizWheel messages? (FIXED v5.60pre3!)

I have the Logitech MX Master mouse, I got it primarily for the horizontal wheel function, which I feel is a godsend in DAW environment.

And it doesn't work in Reaper! While in Actions List the HorizWheel can be perfectly assigned to any mousewheel/relative action, when you actually try and use the wheel, nothing at all happens.

I found a way to work around this by customizing settings for the mouse in Logitech's software, by making the horizontal wheel not send HorizWheel messages, but "zoom in/out" instead, which Reaper recognizes as Ctrl+Mousewheel. And this works only partially.

For example, if I want Alt+HorizWheel to be my horizontal zoom, Reaper recognizes that as Ctrl+Alt+Mousewheel (so far so good), but when I actually go and use this action, it zooms rather randomly in BOTH directions! This is completely unusable. To add more to the issue, if I use the actual combination that Reaper recognizes (Ctrl+Alt+Mousewheel), it works exactly as intended, zooming only horizontally.

So there definitely seems to be something weird in how Reaper deals with these horizontal wheel messages, and partly what Logitech Options software does when it's set to "zoom in/out". But I would be very much glad to see Reaper fully support HorizWheel messages from this mouse, so I would urge devs to get this mouse and see what's wrong and how it can be fixed!

Ergonomy matters! Thank you.

ADDENDUM: I spoke to another MX Master user and he has the same issue under Windows. Under macOS everything seems to work fine for him, he says. Could mouse event handling differences between OSes be a factor here?

Last edited by EvilDragon; 09-21-2017 at 02:22 PM.
EvilDragon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 04:29 PM   #2
karbomusic

Quote:
And it doesn't work in Reaper! While in Actions List the HorizWheel can be perfectly assigned to any mousewheel/relative action, when you actually try and use the wheel, nothing at all happens.
Hmm... ALT+MouseWheel works here for Zoom Horizontally using the MX or am I misreading? Using the scroll button by my thumb on the side correct?

On a side note my SetPoint app still shows it as the Performance MX not Master MX (I'm sure I flaked on updating if there is a new version) so I wonder if that is related?
Old 05-27-2017, 12:18 AM   #3
EvilDragon

So you're using SetPoint? I thought I can only use Options with MX Master... (EDIT: Just tried installing SetPoint... it doesn't work - says that SetPoint doesn't support all Logitech devices connected to my system and prompts to install Options!) OK so you don't have MX Master then.

Here's what I get when using Alt+horizontal wheel (which is recognized as Ctrl+Alt+Mousewheel by Reaper), and regular scroll (a bit later in the vid). It's erratic as fuck :/

(I used LiceCap and recorded as LCF, so drop it in Reaper for previewing.)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...FA4TkZubTZmWmc

Last edited by EvilDragon; 05-27-2017 at 12:35 AM.
Old 05-27-2017, 01:18 AM   #4
karbomusic

I have the MX Master mouse (it's printed on underside of mouse) but must not have installed the software this time around. I just checked and the MX Performance entry in SetPoint is for the previous MX performance mouse I repurposed. I'm a MX fan, I have a few and I still have one of the originals going back to the mid-2000s which still works!

I can probably check more tomorrow.

Last edited by karbomusic; 05-27-2017 at 01:25 AM.
karbomusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 10:41 AM   #5
EvilDragon

Bumpity
Old 05-31-2017, 10:44 AM   #6
karbomusic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDragon View Post
Bumpity
So you don't think it's due to the MX Master software since I have the exact same mouse, it works but I don't have the software? It appears I'm using the mouse as-is. Not that this is the fix, but more about root cause.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:48 AM   #7
EvilDragon

I am honestly not sure. It might be the Logi Options software, but as mentioned, I can't use Setpoint with it at all here.

I just wanna know why Reaper's actions list recognizes the HorizWheel message from MX Master (when I have it set to send HW message instead of "zoom in/out"), but then does absolutely nothing when I actually assign HorizWheel to something.
Old 05-31-2017, 10:59 AM   #8
karbomusic

Quote:
I am honestly not sure. It might be the Logi Options software, but as mentioned, I can't use Setpoint with it at all here.
No worries, I only asked because I was unsure if you picked up on, or if I mentioned that my previous SetPoint comment was wrong, I have it installed from using previous MX Performance but SetPoint isn't seeing or affecting the Master at all.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:31 AM   #9
EvilDragon

I guess not a lot of Reaper folks are using MX Master on Windows and noticing these things...?
Old 06-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #10
introvert

I'm guessing this is an OS or Logitech driver issue.

Horizontal scroll works for me in Mac OS, and in Reaper. It does not work for me normally in Windows. I did fire up Reaper on my Windows machine and it doesn't appear to be working there either, even with the Logitech drivers installed.

I'm on Windows 10 for whatever it's worth
introvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 08:49 AM   #11
karbomusic

Quote:
I guess not a lot of Reaper folks are using MX Master on Windows and noticing these things...?
Did you ever remove the Logitech master software/driver as a test? Remember, mine works just fine concerning your issue but I don't have any of the management software installed other than the unifying software which is also likely outdate here. :P I know for a fact, I'm using the MX Master, I'm a Logitech freak for the MX series - I have like 5 of them, Master is fairly new to my collection.

Old 06-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
EvilDragon

Well... that was bloody stupid.

Removing Logitech Options WORKED. So they're definitely doing something strange there...

Sadly I am then losing my other per-application settings in this case (for example, horizontal wheel doesn't at all work in Photoshop, Word or Excel then). And the wheel is in reverse. And wheel sensitivity is too much.

Argh.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:12 AM   #13
karbomusic

Quote:
Well... that was bloody stupid.

Removing Logitech Options WORKED. So they're definitely doing something strange there...

Sadly I am then losing my other per-application settings in this case (for example, horizontal wheel doesn't at all work in Photoshop, Word or Excel then). And the wheel is in reverse. And wheel sensitivity is too much.

Argh.
Well at least we know more.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:51 PM   #14
EmeraldNotion

I'm having the same problem with the MX Master that EvilDragon described. Unfortunately due to other custom bindings I use, uninstalling the Logitech drivers isn't really an option for me.

I got the MX Master in large part for the side scrolling so it would be great to figure out what is going on!
EmeraldNotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 08:26 PM   #15
EmeraldNotion

I also forgot to mention there are a few quirks I've noticed that may or may not be helpful for debugging:

When my mouse pointer is over the timeline -- Where the bar markers, time, and region markers are located side scrolling works perfectly.

When my mouse is over media items or any of the track lanes side scrolling will briefly work and then it'll snap to the beginning of the track. Sometimes when I un-assign the horizWheel in my bindings and then reassign it, horizontal scrolling will work in the track lanes again for a few minutes, but eventually it always ends up in the state where any time I touch the side scroll wheel it jumps to the beginning of the track.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:43 AM   #16
EvilDragon

YAY! I'm not alone in this!!

EmeraldNotion: how do you have Logi Options set up for REAPER? The only way I managed to make horizontal scroll to work in Reaper is to set it to "Zoom in/out" in Options, rather than "Horizontal scroll" (LOL). And then Reaper actions use Ctrl+Mousewheel instead of HorizWheel messages (which is what the mouse driver sends for zoom in/out, of course). Then scrolling left/right actually works, but horizontal zoom is borked (which I have assigned to Alt+horizontal wheel, or Ctrl+Alt+Mousewheel as Reaper recognizes it).

And of course, when using Ctrl+Alt+Mousewheel on the mouse, horizontal scrolling works just fine. But if I use Alt+HorizWheel, it is shit, because it zooms in/out both horizontally and vertically. WTF!?

So now remains the question: devs, is there something that can be done about this?

Or better: why does Reaper not recognize messages sent by Logitech's driver when the horizontal wheel is set to send "Horizontal Wheel" messages?

EDIT: I figured it out. As EmeraldNotion says above, and I confirm his findings... If you set Logi Options to send "Horizontal Wheel" messages for horizontal wheel, then when scrolling within Reaper's arrange (where items are), scrolling/zooming is completely messed up and doesn't work, jumps all over the place and then just plain stops working. But when scrolling above the ruler or TCP area, or pretty much anywhere, really, it works just fine! So it really seems Reaper is also doing something strange here!!

Also, when set up this way, horizontal wheel doesn't quite work well in MIDI editor, it randomly stops working, etc. Doesn't matter if MIDI editor is docked or not. Major bummer!

Last edited by EvilDragon; 08-24-2017 at 12:02 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:45 PM   #17
EmeraldNotion

I actually use the ctrl-mousewheel binding fairly frequently already so after trying the zoom out/in setting in the Logitech driver I couldn't deal with overriding the regular ctrl-mousewheel binding. lol

I've just adjusted to not using the horizontal wheel in Reaper I got used to using alt-mousewheel for side scrolling. I was so close to getting some of my regular editing workflows down to just have one hand on the mouse, but this side scrolling thing is the one thing blocking me!
Old 08-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #18
daxliniere

I have an opposite problem with HorizMouseWheel. When I horizontal scroll, it seems to transmit a message multiple times. I have it bound to select next/prev env point (with a custom action to filter up/down MIDI messages) and it always jumps 3 points ahead/back instead of 1.

Mouse is Microsoft Sculpt Ergonomic and the horizontal scroll is a pair of buttons (rather than a continuous wheel like the standard vertical scroll).
daxliniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:02 AM   #19
matt_t

I know everyone wants their bugs fixed, and I hate to make a fuss (yes I'm British ) but may I very quietly and tentatively, in the company of some giants of the REAPER forums, just refer to this thread:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=190260

with the ulterior motive that the devs might see it and fix it?

In justification, it happens that I have a logitech mouse, although a basic bog-standard one bought from the local supermarket (a M185 according to the underneath).

By way of saying sorry for sticking my nose in where it may not be wanted, can I make a small suggestion? In the Bug Reports forum, where the thread title says "[issue] (FIXED)" could it perhaps in future also give the version number in which it was fixed, i.e. "[issue] (FIXED v.5.50)"? Some people might find that helpful.

On that note I shall respectfully slink away hoping nobody noticed ...
matt_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:17 AM   #20
EvilDragon

That's a very nice thread hijack with something absolutely not related to the topic at hand, thank you very much...
Old 09-15-2017, 04:32 PM   #21
Justin
Administrator

Can you install spy++ and see what messages it sends?

REAPER does support binding WM_MOUSEHWHEEL to various actions... but let me test that to re-confirm.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 04:46 PM   #22
daxliniere

Hi Justin,
Just tried to do this, but need to install MS VS to get this. Is there another way?
Old 09-15-2017, 04:50 PM   #23
daxliniere

I can't find anything via Google. (Looked for a program to monitor mouse input)
Old 09-15-2017, 05:26 PM   #24
Justin
Administrator

Hmm yeah, need to install msvs.. you can do that for free these days i think (it is big though)
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 12:27 PM   #25
EvilDragon

I have managed to get ahold of spy++ and sent e-mail to support@cockos with the log and GIF capture.

Here's the GIF capture of the issue:

You can see that the MOUSEHWHEEL events work just fine in the ruler and TCP, but they absolutely don't work in the main arrange view area (and unfortunately – the WHOLE MIDI editor! ) Looks like that delta value is way too high in arrange (120, vs low 10s and 20s otherwise). Sadly LICEcap doesn't tell us when mousewheel is operated, but when you see the arrange view jump back to beginning erratically, that's me trying to use horizontal wheel in the arrange.

Thanks for looking into this, it will really make my mouse purchase worth while if it can be fixed.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #26
EvilDragon

This issue has been FIXED in v5.60pre3!!!

(For arrange and MIDI editor, sadly HorizWheel is not working at all in Routing/Grouping/Render Matrix, but I hope that will be sorted out as well!)

EDIT: all issues with HorizWheel have been sorted out as of v5.51. Happy camper here!

Last edited by EvilDragon; 10-01-2017 at 10:46 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 08:04 PM   #27
Denys

Hi, I thought all the settings I have changed since I've been using Reaper might have broken my mouse's horizontal scroll but after trying with a portable install of Reaper 6.04, I realize I still can't use horizontal scroll properly.

(Mouse model: Logitech MX2)

Anyone else with the same issue?
Old 04-30-2020, 07:38 AM   #28
Denys

Hello everyone!

Horizontal scroll sometimes works flawlessly, sometimes doesn't work at all, but I can't find out if it's a bug or a config problem. Anyone else?
Old 04-30-2020, 11:06 AM   #29
EvilDragon

MX Master 2S here, works flawlessly all the time...
Old 04-30-2020, 11:42 AM   #30
Denys

Thank you for your reply!

After finding out I was having the problem only in the Arrange View, I checked the 988 action (View: Scroll horizontally (MIDI CC relative/mousewheel)) and realized "HorizWheel" was assigned in the MIDI Editor but not in the Arrange View. I don't know if it's like that by default as my Reaper portable installation seems to inherit parameters from my main installation, but anyway, the problem is now solved!
Old 07-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #31
Nahui

Quote:
MX Master 2S here, works flawlessly all the time...
Hi Evildragon ! I´m on a mac and using MX Master 3 now. I´m having some trouble with the horizontal scrolling with the Thumb wheel. I cannot have smoothness in the scroll. Could you help me with the settings to achieve this ? thank you !!
Nahui is offline   Reply With Quote