Old 04-24-2017, 12:17 PM   #1
msuscorpio
Human being with feelings

Default Adding Vocal Grit

Hey, I'm looking for some suggested techniques to add some grit or satration to vocal takes. I've tried distortion plugins and amp sims but never end up with the fidelity I am looking for, I just want a bit of "edge" added, subtly. Not a full blown "megaphone" effect. In googling I've read that parallell processing will probably serve me best and one suggested plugin to use was SoundToys Decapitator which I do not own presently. Any suggestions of oother plugins or specific techniques with built in Reaper plugs?

Here is an example of the type of sound I want to achieve. Can probably be heard best at about 2:36. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLbGKKWVKfE

Last edited by msuscorpio; 04-24-2017 at 12:29 PM.
msuscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #2
Judders

Yeah, parallel is the way to go to preserve intelligibility.

No need to spend the bucks on Decapitator though (though it is great if you want to spend the bucks!).

Here's a much cheaper option: http://klanghelm.com/contents/products/SDRR/SDRR.php

And its free "lite" version: http://klanghelm.com/contents/products/IVGI/IVGI.php

Also worth trying any Tube Screamer pedal emulations, of which there are a number of freebie versions. Pretty much any distortion plugin will do though.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 02:00 PM   #3
bezusheist

The JS LOSER Saturation plug in can be good for "subtle".
Old 04-24-2017, 02:19 PM   #4
Swamp Ape

I would suggest the LOSER Saturation too. I use it on vocals quite often. Ferric TDS can do subtle really well too.
Swamp Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #5
vdubreeze

For adding grit to vocals I like the tape saturators in the toneboosters bundle. The different parameters (eg. drive and saturate on Ferox and overbuys, record level and spectrum on Reelbus) give a lot of tonal and overdrive variation not always available in a distortion plugin. And yep, always in parallel, blending fx aux fader up against straight vocal to taste.
Old 04-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #6
msuscorpio

About the parallel processing...Say I have a folder where the parent has the effects chain (all dynamics and EQ, not verb or delay or anything like that) and is being fed by any number of subtracks that contain the actual takes. Would I just send that parent to another track that contains my "grit" chain? I wouldn't think sending the raw track would be the way to go especially without some compression.
Old 04-25-2017, 12:53 AM   #7
crimsonmerry

Both could work, as long the plugins didn't introduce a huge amount of latency. If you send it from the sub/children track, who has no compression on it, it may give a more dynamic feel when combined.
crimsonmerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 05:47 AM   #8
Judders

I'd start from raw with both tracks and EQ and compress separately. Distortion will compress the signal anyway, so you may or may not need to compress the distorted channel. You'll definitely want to EQ them differently though.
Judders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:05 AM   #9
James HE

I find smoking a pack a day yields good results.

I like to use a distortion in parallel - for me this means hardware, an old Rockman Sustainor or ART tube preamp - or sometimes whatever guitar amp is around.
In addition, double track a clean part, a lot of times I will track a harmony part that is an octave down from the melody, or sometimes it's unison. and blend that in, often it's not really audible at all. go for a more whispery approach, soft pallete. Having that bit of soft clean body underneath all the growl and roar is just awesome.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:52 AM   #10
msuscorpio

Cool, thanks guys. I tried sending to the Loser plugin from my parent fx track last night and the results were pretty good. The vocal seems to cut through a little better without added volume (after some send level tinkering). I might give it a try using separate compression and eq tonight.