Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER General Discussion Forum

Old 08-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #1
PitchSlap
Human being with feelings

Default Extremely erratic CPU usage, can barely do anything :(

So lately my CPU usage has been all over the place and it's at the point I can't do anything without constant drop outs and CPU spikes.

I'm basically unable to work on any existing projects. These are all projects that used to work fine (albeit close to the limit of my system), and now even after disabling many effects and freezing tracks I'm lucky if I can play anything.

Looking at the performance meter in Windows shows that even while stopped my CPU usage is all over the map from 25% spiking up to 80+% and I can't figure out why.

If anyone has any ideas of what could be causing this (Reaper setting?) or things I can try to diagnose/resolve the issue, please let me know.

(Project in stop mode)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
So lately my CPU usage has been all over the place and it's at the point I can't do anything without constant drop outs and CPU spikes.

I'm basically unable to work on any existing projects. These are all projects that used to work fine (albeit close to the limit of my system), and now even after disabling many effects and freezing tracks I'm lucky if I can play anything.

Looking at the performance meter in Windows shows that even while stopped my CPU usage is all over the map from 25% spiking up to 80+% and I can't figure out why.

If anyone has any ideas of what could be causing this (Reaper setting?) or things I can try to diagnose/resolve the issue, please let me know.

(Project in stop mode)
I had problems with Kaspersky internet security months ago as it was causing erratic spikes.I had to remove it.There was no fix.Some security software can cause lots of problems.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:50 PM   #3
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

The best clue might be in your memory: what did you change before that started happening? Some info about system history, specs, OS+REAPER version (32 or 64 bit?), what plug-ins and so on could really help others helping you. There's a million things that could cause that.

Previous threads on the topic may contain a lot of useful things to check:

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=0024585...usage%20spikes
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:06 PM   #4
PitchSlap

(All system specs in my signature, I'm always running the newest beta, reverting didn't fix things)

I did a memory diagnostic any everything appeared fine. It does seem like I have a memory leak somewhere as my system gets sluggish if left on a while and my memory usage gets very high with no obvious processes that seem to be using it. Even after a fresh reset though I still have the drop outs.

DPC Latency Checker also showed no issues even while Reaper was crapping out in my default project with one low resource synth.

It seems live monitoring through master fx is an issue all of a sudden. However I don't know if its a symptom or a cause.

I've had the issue for a bit now, but I had blamed it on having to use a crappy soundcard since my others died, but now that I've found a way to utilize my onboard sound again (which was never an issue before), I've realized the issue must be something else.

Maybe I'll try safe-mode with as few processes as possible to see if its some rogue system process.

I hope I can figure it out. I think I'm probably at the point I need to do a fresh format of my system, but it's such a daunting task and something I'd prefer to avoid as long as possible.

*EDIT*
Perhaps Bob is right. I inspected what the processes were doing and Avast antivirus is using 100! threads even though it's not scanning.

*EDIT2*
I stopped Avast. Still having the issues. Definitely some weird spikiness going on as can be seen here:

Last edited by PitchSlap; 08-14-2013 at 11:36 PM.
PitchSlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
ambient

Is it only when you run reaper?

Perhaps it's one of those random preference settings that I don't really understand.

What happens if you install a fresh, default version of reaper? Portable version so it doesn't mess with your current configuration.
ambient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 01:04 AM   #6
somebodyelseuk

I'm inclined to ask the obvious questions. Do you have network cards disabled? Do you have AV running? You certain you don't have a virus?
Old 08-15-2013, 03:46 AM   #7
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Does that happen in an empty project / with minimum (only stock) plug-in usage? Your Performance Monitor screenshot shows quite some load. Is Preferences->Buffering still set for the UAD-1? Did you play with the new monitoring FX and forgot to remove everything from the chain?
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
DarkStar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PitchSlap View Post
I did a memory diagnostic any everything appeared fine. It does seem like I have a memory leak somewhere as my system gets sluggish if left on a while and my memory usage gets very high with no obvious processes that seem to be using it.

Ollie meant your memory not the computer's.
Old 08-15-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
bob

I had to reboot the PC to solve the problem with Kaspesky.Turning the anti virus off did not stop Kaspersky exe freezing the PC.I got sick of it after a while and removed Kaspersky.I use ESET now and have not had a problem since.I´m on Windows xp
These internet security programs can cause havoc sometimes.ESET has good reputation for being light on resources.
If its free progam remove it completely,see if the problem persists.

Last edited by bob; 08-15-2013 at 05:58 AM.
bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
nfpotter

Maybe a buggy plug-in? I've had similar happen before because of that.

-Mitch Hedberg
nfpotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:45 AM   #11
richie43

I just recently helped someone with a very similar issue on their DAW. And as Bob is suggesting, I removed Avira (another free AV) completely, rebooted, and the issues were gone. Stopping and even disabling Avira did nothing even after a reboot. Only a thorough removal helped. I use Eset on my non-DAW's, and it is awesome. My DAW, which still accesses the internet, has zero active AV and I have never had a virus or spyware problem. I don't ever randomly surf the internet with that computer, EVER, but it is usually online.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:51 AM   #12
RoboPlankton

You might find this page on process viewers useful:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...ess-viewer.htm

I've recently used Process Hacker to check out the processes running on my PC. It tells me more than the Windows Task Manager does.

The Gizmo website is always my first stop when I want software reviews and recommendations.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #13
PitchSlap

Strange, I still haven't had much luck with the issue. Process Hacker and Process Explorer both seem to show the same thing.

One thing that's strange is process explorer shows system idle processes (i.e. free CPU) at 80-90% while Reaper is showing 80% real-time CPU usage.

According to PE Reaper is using 12% which seems correct, but playback seems as if the RT CPU being reported is correct 70-80%.

Is it possible Reaper *thinks* CPU is being used that isn't and is compensating somehow?
Old 09-06-2013, 03:51 AM   #14
acousticglue

Turn off Hyperthreading on CPU. Insure Virtualization is turned off in BIOS.

Also any antivirus could have RealTime Scanning issues on System PID 4. Many AV recently have had some issues with RT scanning. Not sure if a MS patch has created this issue yet.

If the process not shown is Reaper at 80% CPU then do the aforementioned.
acousticglue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 01:51 PM   #15
PitchSlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticglue View Post
Turn off Hyperthreading on CPU. Insure Virtualization is turned off in BIOS.

Also any antivirus could have RealTime Scanning issues on System PID 4. Many AV recently have had some issues with RT scanning. Not sure if a MS patch has created this issue yet.

If the process not shown is Reaper at 80% CPU then do the aforementioned.
I left hyper-threading on but I turned off Virtualization (not sure if it always was on), but fingers crossed this appears to have solved the issue!

Rather than choking and dying with the Master FX turned off, I can run my projects in full with a stable and considerably lower CPU usage. Thanks so much, I was at the end of my rope, totally frustrated and dreading having to re-install everything (which wouldn't have even solved the problem anyway since it was BIOS related).