Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
Big Bob
Human being with feelings

Default CA Recursion Problem

I thought that Cycle Actions are now supposed to be able to invoke other CAs but apparently this is not generally true?

I just made a Cycle Action that executes a Reascript which in turn executes another Cycle Action and it literally crashes Reaper everytime it's run.

The two cycle actions are actually used as toggles assigned to toolbar buttons.

Can anyone shed any light on this situation? For example has anyone been able to make a Reascript that executes a CA and then execute that script from a different CA successfully?

ReaJoice,

Bob
Old 10-16-2013, 03:16 PM   #2
Jeffos
Mortal

Something else must be going on Big Bob..
Works here + both REAPER and the SWS extension have a protection against récursive actions - "recursive" like a srcipt calling itself directly or via macros or via (cycle) actions so that it would call itself again, and again, etc... and would eventually crash (stack overflow).
to make sure, please can you please a ticket in the SWS tracker and attach your scripts and Cycle Actions there (use the export function of the editor)?
on a sidenote: sws tracker = better support in the future!
Jeffos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 07:35 AM   #3
Big Bob

Hi Jeffos,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I've already torn everything down and taken a totally different approach for what I was trying to do.

If I can get a reasonable block of time in the future, I'll try to reconstruct the situation and then post it to the tracker. It's unfortunate that these things always seem to happen when we're pressed for time.

However, I'm almost positive that the problem is not somewhere else because I could make it vanish by just shorting out the cycle action called from the first. Yet that action by itself ran just fine.

To be continued ...

Bob
Old 11-01-2013, 07:43 AM   #4
Big Bob

Hi Jeffos,

I was able to set this up again and distill it to its essence.

I have now reported it on the tracker but I'm not sure I did that correctly.

But, just to close the loop on this, I'll repeat here the repro procedure I just posted on the tracker.

Repro instructions:
1. Create 2 simple Reascripts
2. Create 2 simple CAs: CA1 simply runs Script 1, CA2 runs Script 2

Now if Script 1 executes CA2, then when CA1 is triggered, it will crash Reaper. ie CA1 runs Script 1 which in turn runs CA2 which in turn runs Script 2.

If CA2 is changed to simply invoke Reaper actions instead of invoking Script 2, then no crash occurs. So, this may well be a ReaScript re-entrance problem at its heart.

To be continued ...
Old 11-01-2013, 08:28 AM   #5
Big Bob

Hey Jeffos,

After further testing, I'm beginning to think that this problem has nothing to do with Cycle Actions per se. Rather, it may center on Scripts not being able to invoke other scripts via Reaper. And the CA stuff was just clouding the issue. Sorry.

I think I will start another post to illustrate the basic problem in a more focused way.

To be continued in another thread.

ReaJoice,

Bob