Sequencer Megababy overview by Lachrimae (using nandy's mod version)
This plugin is now included as Sequencer_megababy in Reaper installer.
I have updated my modified sequencer_baby_v2 JS plugin.
You can download the latest version here:
Example from version 045:
No need to install. It's included in Reaper installer.
Extract the sequencer_baby_v2_jnif.zip file. You will get the JS plugin file sequencer_baby_v2_jnif_xxx (where xxx is a version number).
In REAPER's main menu select
Options -> Show REAPER resource path in explorer/finder...
Then open Effects/MIDI folder and copy the sequencer_baby_v2_jnif_xxx file there.
The plugin will show up in FX Browser.
If you like you can also remove the version number from the end of file name and overwrite the previous version with the latest one. This will allow you to open old projects and presets using the latest sequencer_baby_v2_jnif version.
Drum map files are not included in Reaper installer. You might like to install those separately.
To use the Battery drum map files included in sequencer_baby_v2_jnif package you have to move the drum map files to
Changes compared to official v4.55 version
- Velocity control for each note. Ctrl + Left click/drag.
You can drag over multiple notes on the same row to create velocity curves.
- Velocity adjust of all notes on the same row. Ctrl + Alt + left click/drag.
- More consistent or accurate grid square spacing.
- Global note length control in toolbar.
- Piano roll keys with 'C' note labels.
- Highlighting of current piano roll key under mouse cursor.
- Octave lines.
- Bar lines.
- Selectable Piano roll or Drum map mode.
- Each note row can be transposed individually in Drum map mode.
- Show edited velocity values.
- Audition notes using proper velocity.
- MIDI recording.
- Pass-through MIDI and recorded MIDI is transposed according to row transposes in Drum map mode
- Swing control in toolbar.
- Duplicate sequence using Shift + Left click on piano keys / note names.
- Tie / untie notes using Alt + Left click.
- Tie / untie multiple notes in a row using Alt + Left drag.
- Toolbar for changing and copying patterns. Left click toolbar button to change pattern. Ctrl + Left click on a toolbar button will copy the active pattern to clicked pattern and change to the clicked pattern.
- Adjust number of steps per beat independently for each pattern.
- Start offset adjustment of individual notes using Shift + Left drag.
- Start offset adjustment of all notes on a row using Shift + Alt + Left drag.
- Note drawing and erasing (Left click drag) is constrained to single row. Use Shift + Ctrl + Alt + Left drag for the old "freehand" drawing behavior.
- Quick Guide added to the start of plugin file.
- Compressed (run length coding) state/preset save data format.
- MIDI trigger. Change pattern using MIDI notes.
- "Trigger root note" control for selecting the bottom note of MIDI triggered pattern change.
- "Trigger root note" display in toolbar.
- Independent sequence length for each pattern.
- Mapping note rows to different MIDI channels in Drum map mode.
- Option to MIDI trigger pattern change + transpose. (aka "ARP mode")
- Clear pattern using Ctrl + Right click on pattern button.
- Show empty patterns using lighter color in toolbar.
- Pattern chaining. Alt + Left click pattern button to set last pattern in chain. Chained patterns will play automatically one after another. You can also record MIDI input to patterns while pattern chaining is automatically changing patterns.
- There is an octave_offset variable in the beginning of source code (@init section). It can be modified to easily change "MIDI octave name display offset".
- CC envelope lane with four selectable CC types.
- Control step probability with envelope type 127 (Prb) on first envelope lane. You can restrict the probability control to certain note rows by changing MIDI channels. Probability envelope will affect only note rows that have same channel as the Prb envelope.
- "Start beat position" setting to define the song position where patterns will start/loop.
- "Play before start position" setting to enable/disable pattern playback before start beat position.
- "End beat position" setting to define the song position where patterns will stop. "---" means play infinitely.
- Right click on "Start/End beat position" value in toolbar will reset the value to default.
- MIDI trigger options to resync "Start beat position" to trigger position, un-quantized or quantized to nearest beat.
- Subdivide notes using Shift + Right click drag up/down.
Notes can by divided up to 8 equal length partial steps.
- Mouse actions to change steps per beat
Ctrl + Left click piano keys / note names: Halve steps per beat, slow down
Ctrl + Right click piano keys / note names: Double steps per beat, speed up
- Mouse actions to halve/double steps per beat preserving note position. Warning! Halving removes notes in every other step.
Ctrl + Alt + Left click piano keys / note names: Halve steps per beat, preserve note positions. Sequence length is halved.
Ctrl + Alt + Right click piano keys / note names: Double steps per beat, preserve note positions. Sequence length is doubled.
- Display current/new note velocity in toolbar.
- Improved note previewing. Right click drag horizontally over existing notes to audition them.
- Piano keys on top of toolbar for setting/viewing grid base note, number of notes in grid, and MIDI trigger notes.
Left click drag green area on toolbar pianokeys: Change base note of the grid.
Right click drag green area on toolbar pianokeys: Change number of notes in the grid.
Left click drag red area on toolbar pianokeys: Change MIDI trigger notes for pattern triggering.
- Undo support for all edits.
- Load note names from file.
Sequencer Baby reads note name text files located in "REAPER_resource_path/Data/seqbaby_data/" folder.
Active Note name file can be selected from a drop down menu in plugin GUI.
Example note name files for NI Battery 3 and 4 factory kits are included in the package.
Some old examples:
This video was captured using a version before piano roll key feature was added.
This video was captured using a version before drum map mode was added.
See more videos in update posts in this thread.
Old versions are archived here: