Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Color Themes and Icon Sets

Old 12-04-2013, 02:02 AM   #1
Snap
Human being with feelings

Default Whiteface & Blackface - Yet more WT Imperial mods

Quote:
I need that black theme so can you share it?
Why not?

These are fully customized mods of the original and fabulous White Tie's Imperial theme just for my personal use, tastes and needs trying to fit my own workflow as much as I can. So definitely, not themes for everyone or intended to be shared with the community due to those “limitations”... but here they are.

The Whiteface

The Blackface

Didn't designed any single element, just grabbed WT Imperial and merged it with my favorite editing environment; The old Rado 4 Daily by Nick Moritz. I and also borrowed his toolbar buttons and overlays, the ruler, etc... Then stole some of the Imperial mods and tweaks out there by Reno.thestraws, Kenny Gioia, Pyerbass and Starter plus the cool fader caps by WynD and Hopi and put everything together. Then thinned it out removing the stuff I didn't wanted, tried different layouts and background panels, then thinned it all again and split it in two versions with the purpose of having a version for full light (TheBlackface) and another one when working under dimmed light (TheWhiteface). The idea was making them fully compatible to switch them on the fly without changing any layout.

My own personal versions only have a single transport, a single TCP (big meter and track name without any buttons). And three MCP layouts (mix, tracking #1, tracking #2) the mix panel has a number of selected fader caps and that's it. I don't need anything else. For the sake of sharing them I put back in all the original Imperial TCP layouts plus the added fader caps. Regarding the MCP I put the separators in again and the narrow strips. My TCP is just for editing. Never mix on it. Got the habit in my ProTools days and still work that way. An edit window and a mixing window I know that many folks live on the TCP... I guess these themes are not for them. Also currently many themes and Reaper users like to have different layouts for folders, folder parents, folder ends, DCAs, separators of different sizes, busses, groups, instruments, track inspector, etc... I don't need that. Different color faders caps do the job perfectly well for me. Like they always did for me on consoles for some twenty years... Imperial was inspired by a iconic analog console after all, and it feels all right to me, so I keep that spirit going. Have a look.

I made two new MCP master layouts. For some time I stuck to the Master-of-the-Universe but finally modded it to make some more room for the extmixer and replacing the fader for a knob. I don't really need it, but looks cooler having one more knob there. Currently I only use these two. The Slim for mixing and the Wide for mastering. I want a big meter always there, but I'll keep the legacy default in for you guys.

Like the original WT Imperial these themes are intended to be used on big monitor screens, better two of them, with the MCP undocked.

My recommendations for the faders and VUmeters:

Use whatever you like, but these work just fine for these themes. The fader graticules match the values.

For those with smaller screens I also made a few fast tweaks to the White Tie's Deadringer Colonial. Just changed the master and added the fader caps and a separator. Oh, and merged the Rado 4 edit window too. I'm not happy with the meters. They get screwed up when resized. Maybe I'll give them a go, but I don't think so. I don't use this theme.

The Lappy

I find myself using the Blackface much more than the white one even for dimmed light, so I started to work on TheGrayface to make it a bit darker and milder to the eye. But right in the very first steps I changed my mind. Enough of SSL. The gray thing will be inspired in the Soundcraft Vienna II console instead. Don't know how long will it take. Hope to get it complete anytime soon as part of this series of WT Imperial meets Rado 4 tweaks. I also plan a Neve 8014 theme as the final step of this series. Stay tuned.

Oh, if I happen to sound rude, English is not my mother language.

Last edited by Snap; 01-04-2014 at 03:20 AM.
Snap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
Oh, if I happen to sound rude, English is not my mother's language.
Not yours, either!

Couldn't resist "fixing " it for you
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
Snap

Old 12-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Snap

I decided to do two versions of the Soundcraft thing. It will be based on the Vienna II and Five consoles, or in olther words, a Grayface and a Whiteface pair of themes. I guess they will be a bit more interesting than these I've shared since they'll be a bit different and less "Imperialistic" (or SSL) looking. At least the buttons and the knobs will be different.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
Snap

I've been warned about the term "Blackface" might be offensive and racist in certain places.

When I think of Blackface I think of those legendary '60s Fender amplifiers, or the Blackface 1176N compressors. or the old Blackface Neve consoles.... Go figure!

I see it as a cool legendary audio gear related word or nickname. That's why I used it. But if anyone gets offended by this. Please, tell me about and I'll consider changing the themes names. Otherwise they'll remain as they are.
Old 12-04-2013, 02:36 PM   #6
Ron_Paul

It's fine. The Blackface you intended is what comes to mind first in the audio world over the racist concentration.
Ron_Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 02:07 PM   #7
deailes

Thanks for this The dark editing page on the original theme was the only thing i did not like about it. Much preferring the white background.
deailes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #8
James HE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap View Post
I've been warned about the term "Blackface" might be offensive and racist in certain places.
The only thing offensive a Blackface ADATs.

*Actualy no, there were pretty awesome.
James HE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 10:30 PM   #9
hopi

thanks much Nice Mod's IMO
Old 12-05-2013, 11:20 PM   #10
Snap

Quote:
The only thing offensive a Blackface ADATs.
Oh, I forgot those! I prefer the HD24, but they were nice tools back in the day.
Old 12-05-2013, 11:23 PM   #11
Snap

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopi View Post
thanks much Nice Mod's IMO
Thanks, Hopi. It's a bit too late to share this mod. Not the right time for any Imperial stuff as It's "too old" now. But someone asked for it.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:32 AM   #12
ivansc

You know I never thought about it before, but the one thing I have never liked that much in Imperial is the appearance of the TCP.
Not that I could do anything about it, but the various items all seem sort of out of scale with each other as it is.
Perhaps it is those pan knobs, I don't know, but there is something there that has always looked odd to me.
ivansc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 02:13 AM   #13
Snap

Yep, the pan knobs are a bit in the huge side specially for the panning makrs around the channel knobs more than the knobs themselves, but the room is needed for the three different pan modes. They can be made smaller altogether anyhow. But it doesn't bother me be as is.

The other thing are the Studer like solo (and transport) buttons compared to the rest. I always felt that they're either too big or the rest too small too. One of the things I want to "solve" with the Soundcraft tweaks I'm doing now is just that. Having a better (or more even) buttons proportion. I think I'll keep the Studer buttons for the transport. I like them and feel right to me there... plus, the transport is not part of a console, it's more a multitracker, so the Studer stuff looks perfect to me there. It's so familiar.

The only thing I don't like about the Soundcraft thing is that they always made the pan knobs yellow.... If I go purist, the only knob in te MCP will be yellow... Eeekk!!!

PS, Some Vienna II consoles had black pan knobs. Not correct for the Five/MH3 whiteface version I'm putting together, but I'll go black anyway.

Last edited by Snap; 12-07-2013 at 07:18 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #14
BobF

Trying out TheBlackFace. I really like this theme, but can't find Folder controls other than Compact. I don't see how to set the folder properties without switching themes.

Anybody?
BobF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:49 AM   #15
aspiringSynthesisingAlch

Default 10/10

These are the most beautiful skins I've seen yet.

I'm barely using my mixer (yet), just playing in the TCP. I see on your screenshots some track have got a full-length skinny VU meter (that looks stunning btw) whilst others don't.

Is this dependent on the track type/content, or can ya have multiple active track layouts in ya TCP ?!

Great work, many thanks
aspiringSynthesisingAlch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:30 AM   #16
Alsion

Thanks for the black one! I absolutely love it!
Alsion is offline   Reply With Quote