Old 01-23-2014, 09:59 AM   #1
Serenitynow
Human being with feelings

Default Free Beatles music course ...

Hi!

I thought you might like to hear about this course I’ll be taking online from The University of Rochester; The Beatles Music. You can take it for free and it covers the whole history of The Beatles. Looks really cool! It’s only 6 weeks, a few hours a week and it will allow me to get my Beatles geek on! I took a Songwriting course from Berklee College of music before and I learned a lot and it was fun too!

https://www.coursera.org/course/beatles

They have other music courses as well as about anything else you'd like to study!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:03 PM   #2
lunker

Default Thanks!

Thanks! I registered.
lunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
Timothy Lawler

Excellent. Thank you.

The Beatles are 20th century art at its best.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:42 PM   #4
fwd0120

Subbed this thread. Gonna check register later! Looks awesome!
fwd0120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 02:35 PM   #5
Timothy Lawler

I've been viewing the lectures. Good course structure and info. I'm impressed by John Covach's teaching style. I thought I knew a lot about the Beatles. Not so, I see. The quiz questions are too easy though!
Old 02-17-2014, 04:37 PM   #6
themixtape

Dope. Thank you! I like the certification aspect, too... I'm going to check out all the other courses.
Old 05-06-2014, 09:14 AM   #7
CarlWatts

Cool!! Its an honor for me to learn about Beatles. They were great band, I always loved their music.
CarlWatts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2014, 10:11 AM   #8
chip mcdonald

Having learned about 98% of their catalog from playing in a Beatles tribute band, I am left to think "I'm not sure this can be as good as actually learning 98% of their catalog".
Old 05-14-2014, 10:22 PM   #9
chip mcdonald

Registered. I don't know how this will work, and I certainly find it curious to contemplate the mere notion of such a thing to begin with - but "we'll see".

Personally, I'd be pretty scared to deliver such a wide-spanning course. With my 30 years of teaching guitar, and playing in a Beatles tribute band - I can say I know the music side. But there "history" side - after having been in said band, I've met people that really, *really* know Beatles trivia like many would not believe.

In fact, it would kind of get on my nerves. The keyboard player and singer in my band would discuss what George or John was doing on the same date as our practice, or which take a solo was from. While I've *heard* all of the out takes, *I haven't memorized dates, numerical trivia, anecdotal references*, etc.. But some people have, and I'm sure some of those people have signed up for this course. That may turn out to be interesting in itself....
Old 05-14-2014, 11:02 PM   #10
Jorgen

I've found that something goes lost, when you learn all the changes and all the words. As a young student, I found a transcript of Blackbird, and learning it actually took away something of the mystery or whatever you would call it, made the song seem smaller.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:28 AM   #11
Serenitynow

Chip,
Let us know what you think. I was only with it a week or two due to the busiest year in my life...without a doubt!
Old 05-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #12
Kundalinguist

I see that Paul McCartney has also signed up. Probably just as a refresher.
Old 05-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #13
AbstractDissonance

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip mcdonald View Post
Registered. I don't know how this will work, and I certainly find it curious to contemplate the mere notion of such a thing to begin with - but "we'll see".

Personally, I'd be pretty scared to deliver such a wide-spanning course. With my 30 years of teaching guitar, and playing in a Beatles tribute band - I can say I know the music side. But there "history" side - after having been in said band, I've met people that really, *really* know Beatles trivia like many would not believe.

In fact, it would kind of get on my nerves. The keyboard player and singer in my band would discuss what George or John was doing on the same date as our practice, or which take a solo was from. While I've *heard* all of the out takes, *I haven't memorized dates, numerical trivia, anecdotal references*, etc.. But some people have, and I'm sure some of those people have signed up for this course. That may turn out to be interesting in itself....
Maybe if you focused less on on your ego and more on enjoying life for what it is you wouldn't have these sorts of problems?

I'm glad you know 98.4234% of all Beatles music and that you have been teaching guitar for 30+ years and that your just an all around greek god to the women... I bet your cock has seem more vaginas than all the gynecologists in human history combined. You are such a gift to humanity!
AbstractDissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 11:29 AM   #14
AbstractDissonance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
I've found that something goes lost, when you learn all the changes and all the words. As a young student, I found a transcript of Blackbird, and learning it actually took away something of the mystery or whatever you would call it, made the song seem smaller.
This is called ignorance. You were blissfully ignorance and when you actually learned something you realized just a little bit more how ignorant you really were... some people just hate that feeling.

I guess though, everyone needs something to keep them going? (it worked for the caveman... why not you?)
AbstractDissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #15
RoboPlankton

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbstractDissonance View Post
Maybe if you focused less on on your ego and more on enjoying life for what it is you wouldn't have these sorts of problems?

I'm glad you know 98.4234% of all Beatles music and that you have been teaching guitar for 30+ years and that your just an all around greek god to the women... I bet your cock has seem more vaginas than all the gynecologists in human history combined. You are such a gift to humanity!
I don't come here to read shit like this, but each to his own.
Old 05-15-2014, 06:30 PM   #16
Kundalinguist

Quote:

There is nothing in Chip's post that, even on my worst day of anger, could remotely trigger the kind of response you posted here. I believe you are suffering from some kind of "abstract dissonance" of mind and might consider apologizing to those you've insulted here in a knee-jerk reaction to your feelings of low self esteem.

Do you actually even USE Reaper, or just this forum to vent your life frustrations?

[edit. I see you do use Reaper and all your previous other posts appear to be considerate. Something wrong today? That's just some weird hostility coming out against others.]

Last edited by Kundalinguist; 05-15-2014 at 06:38 PM.
Kundalinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:33 PM   #17
Kundalinguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorgen View Post
It becomes an analytical rather than an emotional experience. I agree with you. And yeah, seeing too much of the underbelly of a song causes it to lose its air of mystery. It's like hearing your girlfriend fart...

Last edited by Kundalinguist; 05-15-2014 at 06:39 PM.
Kundalinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #18
Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
It's like hearing your girlfriend fart...
Or watching your kid be born. The sheer wonder of birth and the personal joy of it all aside, it's actually a pretty disgusting thing to observe.

It balances out naturally though. By the time your wife can have sex again you've had time to wipe those images away, mostly.
Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #19
Andy Hamm

There are a few bands that are wildly popular that I just can't get into and the Beatles are pretty high up there on that list. To me they are nothing more than the first 'Boy Band' and I lump them in with all of the others like 'New Kids on the Block' - they seem very phony to me. They probably have a few songs that I don't mind, and I do like Paul McCartney on his own, I just can't stand that early beatles stuff.

The top of the list goes to the Beach Boys - they make me embarrassed to be Caucasian. The Doors and Jimi Hendrix I can also do without and I kind of feel the same way about Eric Clapton.

But generally if I'm driving down the road and given the choice between The Beach Boys, The Beatles or the current Top 40 - I'll go with the Top 40.
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:28 PM   #20
Garrick

Andy you and I are polar opposites in what we like music wise.
Oh well, we will always have treeman aka the angry guitarist
Garrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:31 PM   #21
Andy Hamm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrick View Post
Andy you and I are polar opposites in what we like music wise.
Oh well, we will always have treeman aka the angry guitarist
The Treeman is awesome!
Andy Hamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 10:10 PM   #22
ponk

I know better than to get into this one, but.... Not a huge Beatles fan, but Lennon/McCartney = one of the greatest songwriting teams evah. And things have changed, but in his time Hendrix was the best guitarist to have lived. Beach Boys, Clapton, well - no comment
ponk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 03:39 AM   #23
Feverdreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
The Treeman is awesome!
"You've broke your guitar John"

"I don't give a SHIT!"

Second best artist to come out of Liverpool, without a doubt.
Feverdreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 07:52 AM   #24
Jorgen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kundalinguist View Post
It's like hearing your girlfriend fart...
Oh man, I'm easily embarrassed in that regard... and you're right about the underbelly.
Jorgen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #25
Kundalinguist

BEATLES: I think what we sometimes lack is perspective on what music USED TO BE LIKE!

50 years after their arrival, it is easy to begin dismissing their importance, not unlike the vinyl record, cassette player, the walkman, etc. But if we could go back in history and remove the Beatles and their influence on modern music and songwriting, whoever believes that today's music is good would probably be disappointed to hear it without the Lennon/McCartney influence.

Elvis was similiar — not as a writer, but more as defining the early attitude of rock and roll.

That said, how could anyone listen to the entire catalogue of Beatles and NOT come out of it with ten favorite songs of all time.

But then again, there are people in this world into weird poo fetishes, too. I have to respect their right to play with poo.

Not.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:02 AM   #26
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Hamm View Post
There are a few bands that are wildly popular that I just can't get into and the Beatles are pretty high up there on that list. To me they are nothing more than the first 'Boy Band' and I lump them in with all of the others like 'New Kids on the Block' - they seem very phony to me. They probably have a few songs that I don't mind, and I do like Paul McCartney on his own, I just can't stand that early beatles stuff.

The top of the list goes to the Beach Boys - they make me embarrassed to be Caucasian. The Doors and Jimi Hendrix I can also do without and I kind of feel the same way about Eric Clapton.

But generally if I'm driving down the road and given the choice between The Beach Boys, The Beatles or the current Top 40 - I'll go with the Top 40.
Very interesting view. I have some of the same reaction to a whole list of people I wish I liked but just "don't get". Top of the list would be Prince (my daughter nearly disowns me for this) but also would include people like Bowie, Elvis Costello and Kate Bush. I would love to love them but alas there are no goose pimples involved. It's not about musical ability, complexity or even originality then but some odd combination of personal history, personality and I think relationship to the lyrics.

There is also the question of education - can increased appreciation of the music make it more involving, moving or pleasurable? jorgen's experience suggests (at least in the short term) the answwer is no. Taking the machine to bits to see its working takes away the magic. Maybe but I suspect it's more complicated. Knowing what went in, when those ingredients are clever, inventive and expressive. And it's here... ahem.... that The Beatles are arguably different. Before I read Andy Hamms post I simply wanted to (yet again on these forums- please someone tell me when I get boring!) draw attention to Alan Pollacks work:

http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/...notes_on.shtml

These require a certain level of technical musical knowledge or (like me) you could use it as a way of teaching yourself a lot of music theory (google anything you don't understand works for me).

But what they show are:
a) Beatles music WAS as good as we thought at the time
b) you gotta listen hard sometimes
c) their genius started back before Revolver

And a last thought: are we not all Beatles now? In the sense that all the multi-track, mic techniques, effects, loops, overdubs etc etc. paraphernalia we use every time we fire up REAPER were all first brought together in the studios of Abbey Road... (I know that is a gross simplification but you see my point.)

Last edited by martifingers; 05-17-2014 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Politeness!
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:27 AM   #27
chip mcdonald

Quote:

Curiously, enjoying life for me means not concerning myself with knowing what Ringo was having for lunch on a certain date. YMMV.

On the other hand - Mr. AbstractDissonance (if that is your real name), you do appear to have some sort of mental problem since your post is basically a complete dichotomy and appears to be the result itself of an inflated sense of self importance. Mr. Dissonance, is your first name perhaps "Cognitive"?
Old 05-19-2014, 09:41 AM   #28
chip mcdonald

I can't recommend enough that one should learn their entire catalog. The occasional person can not like the Beatles (which seems alien to me), but it's undeniable their influence on music and their hit popularity. If one is going to pursue "writing pop songs" IMO you can only do yourself a favor by making a project of it.

I made a project of it... by playing in a band that covered reproducing entire albums one at a time, from Rubber Soul onward (and backward as well). Did that for 5 years; you learn little nuance things in that process that contributes to the whole that a cursory inspection may not reveal. Not only that, but what may seem to be a "throwaway" Beatles song still has clever little bits that inform the whole. A 1 note tweak in a background vocal, or a little 16th accent = all the difference.

It also allows one to try to backwards-engineer their thought process, particularly if you learn the catalog chronologically.