Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Bug Reports

Old 02-16-2014, 01:45 AM   #1
clepsydrae
Human being with feelings

Default Media item buttons are invisible but functional (FIXED)

For certain tracks using lanes, some items do not display the utility buttons (Mute, Grouped, Locked, etc.)

The following licecap is from a fresh portable install (4.591, Win 8 64bit) + license key + ASIO, and the setting to show the "Unmute" button over the media items is enabled.

Note that the mute button does not appear on the left item (this is true for any other buttons that may be in play as well, but not demonstrated in this licecap) but it is nonetheless there and active.

Perhaps it is related to the presence of empty lanes (see licecap)?

I could not easily reproduce the bug from a new project: recording in a loop for a couple takes, manually adding an empty lane above the current take, etc. But after closing and open such a test project a couple times, the bug appeared. Not sure exactly how that happened, but I provide here a link to the demo project (not the one in the licecap, though I can provide that to, but the same thing...)

Let me know if I can provide more information, or if this bug is already known.

Project file is here.

clepsydrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:24 AM   #2
Ollie
Super Moderator (no feelings)

Preferences->Appearance->Media->"Hide buttons when take lane height is less than..."
Ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 08:13 AM   #3
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Preferences->Appearance->Media->"Hide buttons when take lane height is less than..."
Yes but right at the beginning, it still looks like there's a bug right? on the left item even with that setting adjusted.
Old 02-16-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
Yes but right at the beginning, it still looks like there's a bug right? on the left item even with that setting adjusted.
Yes -- see the licecap. I'm aware of the "hide buttons" option and that's not what's at play here...

Thanks!
-c
Old 02-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #5
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by clepsydrae View Post
Yes -- see the licecap. I'm aware of the "hide buttons" option and that's not what's at play here...

Thanks!
-c
Meaning, it shouldn't be, anyway, unless reaper is using the hidden (mosty empty) lane heights to display the buttons or not, and even if so it is putting the buttons there, just invisibly (see the beginning of the licecap where the "mute" button works even though it is invisible.)
Old 02-16-2014, 10:54 PM   #6
Ollie

Quote:
I could not easily reproduce the bug from a new project: recording in a loop for a couple takes, manually adding an empty lane above the current take, etc. But after closing and open such a test project a couple times, the bug appeared. Not sure exactly how that happened, but I provide here a link to the demo project (not the one in the licecap, though I can provide that to, but the same thing...)
1. I can't reproduce that at all, neither with your project nor by creating one that's more resembling the GIF above. No invisible buttons, no matter how few/many lanes of varying height and how few/many buttons I add. I wish I had at least invisible buttons though, can I have your computer please?

2. It's probably better to drastically reduce the "Hide..." threshold since that should decrease the chance of disappearing buttons a lot, in particular if you use many lanes.
Old 02-17-2014, 01:29 AM   #7
clepsydrae

Quote:
1. I can't reproduce that at all, neither with your project nor by creating one that's more resembling the GIF above. No invisible buttons, no matter how few/many lanes of varying height and how few/many buttons I add. I wish I had at least invisible buttons though, can I have your computer please?
They're more trouble than they're worth. :-)

I just tried it in a 32-bit XP VM -- same thing. Fresh portable install, copy in license key, run it, set audio device to whatever, use action menu to turn on "Show empty take lanes" and go to preferences to show "Unmuted" button in Appearance -> Media -> Media item buttons, and it happens... mute button is invisible but functional on the left item, but normal on the right.

Do you have a windows machine you test on? I think in the past you said you were on a mac, usually?

Anyone else got a sec to check for this?

Quote:
2. It's probably better to drastically reduce the "Hide..." threshold since that should decrease the chance of disappearing buttons a lot, in particular if you use many lanes.
(Just for the record, that has no effect on this bug.)

Thanks,
-c
Old 02-17-2014, 03:46 AM   #8
musicbynumbers

I think this might be a recent change as I've noticed that if an item's end is off screen occasionally the name and buttons can be off screen too instead of being kept on screen. It might be related to this and it's something I don't recall happening before.
Old 02-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #9
FnA

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
I think this might be a recent change as I've noticed that if an item's end is off screen occasionally the name and buttons can be off screen too instead of being kept on screen. It might be related to this and it's something I don't recall happening before.
Getting that here too. Win 7 Reaper 64.
FnA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:39 AM   #10
Ollie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FnA View Post
Getting that here too. Win 7 Reaper 64.
The question is whether or not you guys are having the OP's problem.

Quote:
Do you have a windows machine you test on? I think in the past you said you were on a mac, usually?
Didn't try it on the Mac, just XP and Vista.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
clepsydrae

Quote:
Didn't try it on the Mac, just XP and Vista.
Man, I am the master of easily-reproducible-for-me-but-not-Ollie bugs.

musicbynumbers/FnA/anyone -- got a sec to download the example project and see what it looks like for you? Should only take a few secs.

(You have to turn off "Show empty take lanes" in the actions menu and go to preferences to show "Unmuted" button in Appearance -> Media -> Media item buttons. Then just open the project.)
Old 02-19-2014, 07:35 AM   #12
Ollie

Edit: It's the empty first take, or that the first take is empty.

I can reproduce that now in your example project, but I can't figure out what's causing it and so I can't recreate it. Something must be happening during creation of the project playing tho. Edit: I suspected source start offset but that's probably not it.

Strangely, the FX buttons I've turned on always stay visible and make it obvious that the buttons left to it are missing:

The take name is also giving it away (it's indented and it stays indented) and the invisible buttons never show no matter how much I increase the item height.

- Do you have Preferences->Loop Reording->"In loop recording, discard incomplete..." checked or unchecked?
Attached Images
File Type: gif lane_issue_huh.gif (38.6 KB, 661 views)

Last edited by Ollie; 02-19-2014 at 08:35 AM.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:26 AM   #13
Justin
Administrator

Fixing!
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:14 PM   #14
clepsydrae

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin
Fixing!
*trumpet fanfare*

Brilliant, thanks! Let me know if you need anything else.