Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Feature Requests

Old 08-26-2015, 12:50 PM   #1
Alex1715
Human being with feelings

Default Track sticking: Can somebody make this real?

I usually have from 50 to 100 tracks in my projects and I found that usually there are a couple of tracks that I need to keep in sight all the time. So I thought about this thing

https://i.imgur.com/2Va8zr9.gif

Is it possible to have something like this in reaper or would somebody make this?

Thanks!
Alex1715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:55 PM   #2
darkcloud2973

I don't know if it is possible, but I sure like the idea. I could get a lot of use out of that.
darkcloud2973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:13 PM   #3
Amazed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex1715 View Post
I usually have from 50 to 100 tracks in my projects and I found that usually there are a couple of tracks that I need to keep in sight all the time. So I thought about this thing

https://i.imgur.com/2Va8zr9.gif

Is it possible to have something like this in reaper or would somebody make this?

Thanks!
Along with the master track.
Amazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 06:04 PM   #4
Lokasenna

This isn't at all what you asked for, but are you using the SWS extension for Reaper? The Track Manager is really useful for managing large projects, since you can choose what gets displayed in the TCP and MCP, display tracks based on keywords, etc.
Old 08-26-2015, 06:50 PM   #5
Fergler

It's a complex idea because tracks could be in folders, and their apparent routing would be confusing if they were to be moved up there. Whatever the solution is (I'd say a duplicate track, with an obvious 'reference' style that makes it evident that it is but an alias of something else) is, it requires some thought.

In the meantime, a quick half-baked solution would be to allow pinning of any 1st-tier track, which would not encroach on the issues I mentioned.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
X-Raym

+1, very convenient,
to display lyrics, video tracks, or any other kind of reference track.
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #7
Icchan

Hmm...

There's nothing that prevents doing this, I would see it being time consuming because it would need a lot of groundwork from devs in regards how the TCP is drawn and handled.

Idea could be that when you "sticky" a track, it's copied to the top of the TCP into this "stickied tracks" area.

It would be just a visual presentation of chosen tracks with full user operability just like any other track, but they're still in the real track list below. Some visual indicator as a horizontal line below the last stickied track would tell the user where the stickied tracks end and where the normal behavior of the TCP begins.

This is a good FR and the demonstration is well executed.

Last edited by Icchan; 09-02-2015 at 12:10 PM.
Icchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:26 AM   #8
X-Raym

Yes, this is exactly how cubase do it !
Old 09-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #9
heda

This has been requested so many times.
Yes We all would love it. Eventually I think it will happen. Hopefully.
heda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:54 PM   #10
Alex1715

Well, maybe it's the time to actually make it? I find it very useful and I think it's one of the most desirable features for me.
I've shown it to a couple of my FL studio and Xonar friends (with many other features) and they almost wanted go and buy reaper.
Alex1715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 02:09 AM   #11
musicbynumbers

I'd love a vertically "split arrange" like nuendo had.

To put the video track and a few other thing.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:11 AM   #12
sambosun

+1
I totally understand that FR.
A brilliant idea. It's so simple and elegant.
I'm only aware of cubendo as DAW that can do that split view.

In a spread sheet App like Numbers one can freeze the headers and footers. In Excel it's freeze panes.
If you have hundreds of rows you wanna keep the categories in sight. It's that simple.

What do you guys think could a feature to exclude certain tracks from hiding be achieved by SWS if they extend the SWS Track list and SWS Snapshot window?

I mean what about an option that could be checked like
"Exclude global/ pinned from hide filtered-out tracks"
1. Suffix the tracks with the word "Global" or "GLBT"
2. Enable "Exclude global tracks from hide filtered out tracks"

I know it doesn't solve the freeze/pin tracks to top while scrolling!
sambosun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:26 AM   #13
X-Raym

well, before any custom Pin actions, we already need a native pin systeù.

It could a simple track property
called with B_STICK on Reascript,

and it would display this B_STRICK=true tracks on top, ordered from their track ID. This means that by toggle B_STICK to false, this track will get back to heir original visual place.
The routing is not change, it is purely visual

A small line between sticky tracks and others would be nice,
and of course, a way to hide/show these sticky tracks.
Old 01-02-2016, 01:37 AM   #14
Gigatless

This is pretty amazing, I've been looking for it. Has anyone considered making it yet?
Gigatless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 02:09 AM   #15
noise_construct

This would be very useful.
noise_construct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 03:31 AM   #16
me2beats

+++++
me2beats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 06:16 AM   #17
musicbynumbers

I'd still find this very useful too!

A toggleable divider that you can drag tracks between would be amazing.

Cubase version..

Old 04-13-2016, 05:49 AM   #18
raiirock

+1 to this idea . It will be really helpful then you want to edit bass guitar to kick drum for example. Right now im using track list to show/hide other tracks but its not so fast compare to feature like we discuss in this thread.
raiirock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:38 AM   #19
Kenny Gioia

I would think a Divider would be easier to implement as it wouldn't be changing the track order. Just what we're viewing.

What about another one on the other axis. Going from Left to Right?

So you could copy items from one section to another by dragging them without having to scroll so far?

Multiples would be nice as well for those with bigger monitors.
Kenny Gioia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 06:47 AM   #20
Ozman

Might be useful.

So would fx sticking, Like having mixing fx always at the end/bottom of the chain.
Ozman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:19 AM   #21
inspired

would be AWESOME!
Old 04-13-2016, 10:14 AM   #22
X-Raym

Still highly desired, indeed

@kenny
There is a nice idea behind vertical split view, but it is a bit different as tracks will not have special "stick" properties.
But it surely deserves it own thread !
Old 04-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #23
chtammik

Yup agreed. That would be awesome . My sound design sessions can easily have 200-300 tracks in them and I'd love to always have my Booth mic and video tracks available to me at all times
chtammik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:16 AM   #24
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
Still highly desired, indeed

@kenny
There is a nice idea behind vertical split view, but it is a bit different as tracks will not have special "stick" properties.
But it surely deserves it own thread !
What is the benefit of having them Stick rather than a simple split view? Or multiple split views?

I'm just considering the designing issues that would come from sticking a track which would no longer have a track number. IOW - If you move other tracks around while one or two tracks are Stuck, how would REAPER know where to put them? Before or after or even in between the Stuck ones. That and the issue with Folders could make it complicated. Me thinks.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:09 PM   #25
sebas777

I remember the good old Logic could open independent/semi-dependent copies of the Arrange window of the same song in the main window (even within the same screenset).

The copies could sync song positions.

Also this feature offered many other interesting options: one copy could follow the song position line, and one stay still, they also could have different zoom levels.

So (together with the filtered track list that is currently available in Reaper), this would make it possible and highly flexible: you would have one set of tracks in one Arrange, while another one below it, in the second copy of the window.

But even within one window, the option to "pin" a track or a group of tracks looks like a small but very useful feature I would use all the time.

+1 !
sebas777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:39 PM   #26
X-Raym

@Kenny
Vertical split view (with a top arrange view and a bottom arrange viex), with same zoom level, same TCP with and same "time section" displayed, allow to synchronize things (item, points etc) across tracks.
e.g., if I want to synchronize a sound effects on several tracks (track 80-90) against a vocal reference (track 4), having a way to make this voice track "stick on top" of the arrange view will be very helpful.
The track will stick BUT track number and so its routing is preserved. It is just a visual display. The track will be shown in both top and lower section.
Old 04-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #27
Kenny Gioia

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@Kenny
Vertical split view (with a top arrange view and a bottom arrange viex), with same zoom level, same TCP with and same "time section" displayed, allow to synchronize things (item, points etc) across tracks.
e.g., if I want to synchronize a sound effects on several tracks (track 80-90) against a vocal reference (track 4), having a way to make this voice track "stick on top" of the arrange view will be very helpful.
The track will stick BUT track number and so its routing is preserved. It is just a visual display. The track will be shown in both top and lower section.
Right. But what I'm trying to understand is what's the benefit of Stuck or Pinned tracks over a Vertical Split View. What can you do with a Stuck track that you couldn't do with Vertical Split View?

Also, I think it would be cool if the top half and bottom half were completely separate. Allowing different track heights etc.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:19 PM   #28
sebas777

@Kenny Gioia

How about multiple copies of the Arrange window... (see my first post ). Nothing beats that in terms of workflow flexibility.

Well, let us have both options, because it is often simply easier to quickly "stick" one or more tracks by pressing some icon or "unstick" them all at once with a keycommand, and this solution also saves screen real estate.

One more advantage that comes to mind is the ability to select objects on "pinned" and regular tracks in one go, using the rectangle select.

Last edited by sebas777; 04-13-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:43 PM   #29
X-Raym

@Kenny Gioia
With track sticking, you can stick several tracks that have very differnet index, e.g. Markers tracks (track #1), sounds effects group (track #16) and music group (track #50) and voice group track (#60).

Other advantage is to preserve global position in arrange view, zoom settings, etc.

That's why it is different than another view of the same project (which could have different position, zoom)...
..unless track visibility is set by view but I think it would make the thing a bit complex.
Old 04-13-2016, 05:04 PM   #30
sebas777

And here is vintage Logic running two instances of Arrange in one screenset.
I believe one could also hide the top icons and the TCPs, to make the display more compact (by dragging).

Running Man (Catch SPL) button is enabled in both instances (to sync windows in time). Link button (linking selection) is disabled. Vertical Zoom in one instance is changed.

Unfortunately you cannot have different sets of track or to reorder them separately (here Reaper wins - finally ). Also, for unknown reason, even though the Link button is set to "off", selecting in one window scrolls the other window vertically - of course we don't want it, either. But in theory it should have worked ;P.

=======
ps. [And you could hide most of what is on the left (buttons, track names), by unchecking in the View menu, separately for each instance. All is automatically saved within a screenset. In another screenset you can have a single, third instance of Arrange, with all these parts of TCP visible. Changing views from single- and double-view is as easy as switching between screensets. To have them available in all your songs, simply save a default song to be used as a template].

ps. but, slightly hijacking the topic, the customized Arrange (to be used in just one screenset) looks really huge even on a 15'' screen.

http://i64.tinypic.com/t7k2mp.jpg (an admirably huge Arrange window).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Logic two Arrange.jpg (39.4 KB, 602 views)

Last edited by sebas777; 04-13-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:53 AM   #31
airon

Interesting concept. I'd find use for this in my sessions. Just keeping a track or two in view as I need them is something I work towards, as I mess around with track heights, minimizing the ones I do not need to see but still see.

+1
airon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #32
planetnine

Track order and folders wouldn't matter if we had an alternative UI method of showing that a track belongs to a folder parent for this.

OK, make a really complex hierachy of nested folders, you're going to confuse yourself with user track layers, but altering the order needn't be tied to the folder tree, folders were mainly designed for simple grouping and when tracks became reorderable, it consolidated the "only included if placed within the ordered folder bounds" ethos.

It just needs some UI lateral thinking and Dev time

Note: Many routings using folders are for group control only and can be replaced by VCA grouping -this isn't constrained by track order.

>
Old 04-16-2016, 01:44 AM   #33
SalkinA

No coder, but was thinking if the way certain websites use this, making a top menu for instance stay on top when you scroll down the page, could be used in some way?
SalkinA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:36 AM   #34
X-Raym

@SalkinA
That is a bit like that, but with a separator between the two views.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:18 PM   #35
AugerJ

Like... the 4th dock, above the arrange window this time?

Might be useful.
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 02:50 PM   #36
Masi

+1 Sounds like a good idea.

Actually I like the sticky tracks and the split view
Masi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:40 PM   #37
Borodog

+1 for just having multiple independent Arrange views. This is bog standard in other software I use (simulation, not audio).
Borodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 04:46 PM   #38
mlprod

+1, this would be amazing. Sticky tracks please!
mlprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 06:00 PM   #39
Luster

+1 for this. I am sure the devs will implement it in an elegant thought way like always.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2016, 03:52 PM   #40
me2beats

+++++
me2beats is offline   Reply With Quote