Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > REAPER Compatibility

Old 02-15-2016, 11:48 AM   #1
goldenarpharazon
Human being with feelings

Default AKAI MIDIMIX control surface released

Here is an OSC control surface (software) for controlling REAPER using the Akai MIDIMIX midi controller.
Features of this fully implemented V1.01b release "Carnelian" supporting both Windows and macOS include

- 9 Sliders control track recording levels and master level
- Up to 72 (and 144) knobs in 3 banks assignable to anything in Reaper
- Two operating modes: Mixer and Instrument
- All MIDIMIX buttons enabled as recarm, mute, solo, bank, track select, FX open with feedback from Reaper to the MIDIMIX buttons' LEDS
- Soft takeover for track volume sliders, pans and the assignable knobs
- Easily customisable without dependencies on binaries or compilation
- GUI add on available to show the learnt knobs' assignments: see Darkstar's Head Up Display and Enhanced Head Up Display (Beta)

The OSCII-bot script files needed for the control surface and installation instructions/user guide is in the attached zip file.
Akai MIDIMIX controller details are at https://www.akaipro.com/midimix

Please leave some forum feedback if the MIDIMIX support is of use!

Release history:
1.01b 27 Nov 2017 "Carnelian". Extends knobs to 144 virtual assignable knobs. Bug fixes for instrument mode. Improved user guide
1.01a 27 Oct 2017 "Beryl". Adds soft takeover for all knobs (56 views)
1.00a 21 Apr 2017 "Amethyst". Adds soft takeover for track volume sliders and pan. User guide amendments. (165 views)
0.95c 26 Jun 2016 Fixes minor LED handling bug on brief button press (reported in post #22) (311 views)
0.95b 25 Mar 2016 Knob parameter: learn assignment flexibility improvement (356 views)
0.95a 15 Feb 2016 Original forum release
Attached Files
File Type: zip MidiMix101b1.zip (61.8 KB, 2256 views)

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 04-07-2020 at 10:34 AM.
goldenarpharazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2016, 10:38 PM   #2
sodium

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarpharazon View Post

The OSCII-bot script files needed and installation instructions/user guide are in attached zip file.
Akai MIDIMIX controller details are at http://www.akaipro.com/product/midimix

Please leave some forum feedback if the MIDIMIX support is of use!
Hey thank you, goldenpharazon. I just bought one of these controllers today and reading this thread, am comforted to know that my unit wasn't faulty because the LEDs were not functioning and that a way to make the unit talk to REAPER has been developed and shared. Thank you

I have DL'd the zip file and extracted but can't seem to find out how to make it all work in the way it is intended.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge but may I ask please:

1. How does one set this up please?
2. What/where are OSCII bot files?
3. Is there perhaps a guide to setting up the actions required

Many thanks again for software the post, and to all in this thread, thank you.

Cheers,
na
Old 02-25-2016, 07:57 AM   #3
goldenarpharazon

The .pdf user guide in the original download .zip in post #1 has been amended with more guidance on where OSCII-bot (from Cockos) can be found, and to the forum postings on how to set up an OSC script etc. Hopefully that will help.

The "actions" as in Reaper actions like recarm, mute, solo, bank, track select, FX open etc will just happen on a MIDIMIX button press when OSCII-bot is all installed and run and working since these actions are programmed in the MidiMixControl.txt script. The only item needing further set up is for the 72 knobs where "learning" will associate the knob to any desired specific value in Reaper.
Old 03-07-2016, 10:51 AM   #4
fataldissidence

thanks for the zip file, am currently downloading.

Does this setup acomodate for people who want to live mix effects without the need to toggle between tracks?

cheers
fataldissidence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
Acid

Does the unit work with ASIO drivers?
Acid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #6
ivansc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid View Post
Does the unit work with ASIO drivers?
Its a MIDI based controller, not an interface.

No ASIO involved or indeed necessary.
Old 03-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #7
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fataldissidence View Post
thanks for the zip file, am currently downloading.

Does this setup acomodate for people who want to live mix effects without the need to toggle between tracks?

cheers
The MIDIMIX sliders control the level on each of 8 adjacent tracks in a bank so that hopefully does what is wished for live mixing by arranging tracks to suit a bank? A single bank left or right press will assign the sliders to the adjacent bank of 8 tracks.

The knobs can be assigned using "learn" to any Reaper value and keep this assignment independent of any track selection, so that should be helpful too.
Old 03-10-2016, 08:23 PM   #8
Acid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivansc View Post
Its a MIDI based controller, not an interface.

No ASIO involved or indeed necessary.
Oh yeah! I had a temporary brain glitch there
Acid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 03:02 AM   #9
fataldissidence

Thanks golden, Explained well for a newb like me, cant wait to involved with this!!
Old 03-25-2016, 12:47 PM   #10
goldenarpharazon

Default 0.95b MIDIMIX control surface release announcement

0.95b release available: Change to knob parameters: learn assignment flexibility improvement
Old 03-25-2016, 03:12 PM   #11
DarkStar

That looks pretty nifty:

And only £59 (including VAT).
Old 03-25-2016, 04:27 PM   #12
ivansc

So - it seems like it is a Korg Nanokontrol with a slightly different layout?

Decent price but since I already have two nanokontrols working just fine, I guess I will pass unless there is something I am missing.
Even though I AM always on the lookout for a "better" sub-compact controller...

EDIT: Just read the sales blurb.
What utter BS.
"Up until now there has been no way to.." Even Akai themselves had an almost identical product, let alone everyone else.

More misleading hyperbole.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:14 AM   #13
DarkStar

I did see some requests for the buttons to be configurable in the MIDImix Editor as Toggle or Momentary; is that now possible?

Also, exactly what can be edited in the Editor? I've looked for a MIDImix Editor user manual but could not find one.
Old 04-03-2016, 02:00 PM   #14
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkStar View Post
I did see some requests for the buttons to be configurable in the MIDImix Editor as Toggle or Momentary; is that now possible?
This (i.e. different MIDI messages to Note On and Off or alternatively CC) is not possible in the MIDIMIX's Midi implementation since it is hardcoded by Akai into their firmware in the MIDIMIX. However one can imagine sending toggle or momentary OSC messages into Reaper software by using OSCII-bot and either keeping state (to toggle) or using @TIMER (for momentary).

Quote:
Also, exactly what can be edited in the Editor? I've looked for a MIDImix Editor user manual but could not find one.
Just download the editor and try it: it's fairly simple. The buttons can send a different note or a CC. The CC sent by the knobs and sliders can be changed. That's it. The Bank, Solo and Send All buttons cannot be edited. The Midi messages sent to light/extinguish the LEDs cannot be edited and don't change in line with notes sent from their corresponding button.

Note that this V0.95b control surface software expects the Akai defaults to work properly.

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 04-26-2016 at 05:44 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 03:16 AM   #15
DarkStar

OK, thank you.

Configuring the "Mute" and "RecArm" buttons as Momentary or Toggle seems essential to me. But that will need a firmware update from Akai.

I presume that the buttons are in Toggle mode - can you let me know what message is sent when a button (configured, say, for Channel 03, CC# 75) is pressed the first time? And the second time?
Old 04-05-2016, 10:31 AM   #16
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
OK, thank you.

Configuring the "Mute" and "RecArm" buttons as Momentary or Toggle seems essential to me. But that will need a firmware update from Akai.
The explanation made previously needs expanding since Momentary and Toggle may be misleading in the context of Midi messages alone. There are three things going on here at the same time that work together and explain the the context of Reaper's behaviour.

1. The Midi message sent from the MIDIMIX when the button is pressed and when it is released (by default Midi Note On and Note Off)

2. The OSC message(s) sent on from the OSC control surface to Reaper.

3. The action Reaper takes on receipt of the OSC message.

Quote:
I presume that the buttons are in Toggle mode - can you let me know what message is sent when a button (configured, say, for Channel 03, CC# 75) is pressed the first time? And the second time?
The "Mute" and "RecArm" buttons are implemented as "Toggling" functions in Reaper in this control surface software: but it need not be that way. The Midi messages being sent from the MIDIMIX can be seen by inference from the editor or by reading the OSC code or by observing them with a Midi monitor such as MidiOX. Both Midi and OSC messages being sent can be seen in the OSCII-bot monitor window. The OSC messages that make the Mute and RecArm happen are completely independent of Channel and CC#.

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 04-26-2016 at 05:48 AM.
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #17
DarkStar

Thank you for your reply. I now understand that pressing one of the buttons for the first time sends a Note On (not a CC message) and pressing it the second time sends the Note Off.

I do not yet have the gear so I cannot see the message for myself, nor do I know anything about OSC.

Last edited by DarkStar; 07-20-2018 at 08:13 AM.
DarkStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:20 PM   #18
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Thank you for your reply. I now understand that pressing one of the buttons for the first time sends a Note On (not a CC message) and pressing it the second time sends the Note Off.
To clarify: the MIDIMIX sends a Midi note on message when the button is pressed and a Midi note off message when the button is released (just like a Midi keyboard's key does). A second button press repeats this Midi note on and note off, press and release cycle.

The default MIDIMIX here works the same way as the Korg nanoKONTROL "Momentary" button mode.

The MIDIMIX can also optionally (using the Akai editor) send a CC message. Akai have given a description of this feature here https://www.akaipro.com/kb/akai-pro-...midimix-editor or it can be seen using the editor. This might be the momentary or toggle distinction asked for by Darkstar (but this CC message feature is not used in this thread's control surface).

The whole business of each competing controller manufacturer's support for various DAWs including Reaper, whether the controller requires feedback from the DAW to function at its best (or at all), the flexibility or comprehensiveness of Midi implementation etc is a huge topic beyond this thread which just offers a solution for the Akai MIDIMIX and Reaper.

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 03-22-2019 at 03:12 PM. Reason: Fixed broken Akai support link
Old 04-26-2016, 01:56 PM   #19
smithoid

Hi
Got this working and it's great. It has also got me looking at OSCII-bot and control surface scripts :-)
Thank you, your work is much appreciated!!
All the best
Paul
smithoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 08:24 AM   #20
fataldissidence

Anyone here like me, on a mac?

Im stuck installing the OSCII-Bot .exe!
Old 05-02-2016, 09:33 AM   #21
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fataldissidence View Post
Anyone here like me, on a mac?

Im stuck installing the OSCII-Bot .exe!
Firstly look in the zip file for OSCII-bot from http://www.cockos.com/oscii-bot/
The OSCII-bot.app folder tree in this zip contains the Mac executable and it looks like this on the Mac http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...32&postcount=2 : you don't need Wine or the Windows OSCII-bot.exe

The readme.txt file shows the paths expected for script files and the OSX versions/platforms supported.
Then
http://forum.cockos.com/showpost.php...8&postcount=11
should be helpful

Searching for other posts by forum user named "Banned" should also prove useful

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 05-02-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-06-2016, 05:02 AM   #22
smithoid

Default Small problem

Hi
Just found something weird. If you press a button quickly (e.g. mute) then it will mute the sound but the LED doesn't respond. A longer push operates the LED correctly. Similarly when LED is on... a quick push seems to goe unrecognised by LED but the command is actually sent to Reaper
Any thoughts?
Cheers
Paul
Old 05-06-2016, 07:17 AM   #23
smithoid

By the way I tried tweaking the control surface refresh rate and also the OSC packet settings but no joy
Cheers
Paul
Old 05-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #24
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithoid View Post
Hi
Just found something weird. If you press a button quickly (e.g. mute) then it will mute the sound but the LED doesn't respond. A longer push operates the LED correctly. Similarly when LED is on... a quick push seems to goe unrecognised by LED but the command is actually sent to Reaper
Any thoughts?
Cheers
Paul
My suspicion here is transient behaviours in the OSC part of Reaper itself: I have seen some oddities in OSC whilst developing but since there is no definition of "normal" Reaper OSC behaviour AFAIK abnormalities are hard to spot!

If you can send (PM?) two snippets of the OSCII-bot GUI window's log firstly when it works correctly and secondly in the weird condition when the LEDs don't get feedback that will help isolate the problem. This should show me all the Midi and OSC traffic that takes place around the button press for Mute.

If the LEDs get out of sync then it's (probably) Reaper OSC feedback not working as anticipated. Either bank steadily (at a measured pace) one way and and back (e.g. bank left then bank right) or use the OSCII-bot window’s “reload scripts” button as described in the .pdf user guide should put the LEDs back in line with Reaper.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:30 AM   #25
smithoid

Hi
Thanks for getting back to me. The log information should appear in the OSCII-bot window, right? Or is it written to a text file somewhere? (couldn't find one). I have the "log" box ticked but the window remains empty although I do see the OSC messages flash briefly at the bottom of the box as I move a control. Any idea as to what I am doing wrong?
Cheers
Paul
Old 05-07-2016, 06:54 AM   #26
smithoid

All I can see is:

===== Loading scripts from C:\Users\paul\AppData\Roaming\oscii-bot:

C:\Users\paul\AppData\Roaming\oscii-bot\MidiMixControl.txt
Listening on 'localhost:9000'
2 inputs, 2 outputs

Total: 1 scripts, 2 inputs, 2 outputs

================================================== ==============================
Old 05-07-2016, 12:22 PM   #27
goldenarpharazon

Paul. That's the right window.

But one also needs to install the MonitorMIDI+OSC-IO.txt script alongside MidiMixControl.txt to monitor the Midi and OSC in this window. See the troubleshooting section of the user guide .pdf for the forum post describing this extra script.
Old 05-09-2016, 02:12 PM   #28
smithoid

Got it! Going to be away for a day or 2 but will try to reproduce when I get back and post the log.
Cheers
Paul
Old 05-17-2016, 05:16 AM   #29
smithoid

I'm back!
I have that monitor script running, but now the connection to the Midimix doesn't work. I can see OSC messages from Reaper when I interact with the screen but nothing is coming back from the Midimix when I move the faders. Any thoughts?
Cheers
Paul
Old 05-17-2016, 05:39 AM   #30
smithoid

Right, all working now complete with logger. Not sure what problem was there. So here is the log text:

Goes out of sync

TIME: 446.567 [MIDI input] [90|01|7F] Ch. 1 Note C#0 ON, velocity: 127
TIME: 446.567 [OSC output] /track/1/mute/toggle []
TIME: 446.600 [MIDI input] [80|01|7F] Ch. 1 Note C#0 OFF velocity: 127
TIME: 446.618 [OSC input] /track/1/mute/toggle [f] 1.000000
TIME: 446.618 [MIDI output] [80|01|7F] Ch. 1 Note C#0 OFF velocity: 127

Follows correctly:

TIME: 618.817 [MIDI input] [90|01|7F] Ch. 1 Note C#0 ON, velocity: 127
TIME: 618.817 [OSC output] /track/1/mute/toggle []
TIME: 618.867 [OSC input] /track/1/mute/toggle [f] 0.000000
TIME: 618.867 [MIDI output] [90|01|00] Ch. 1 Note C#0 OFF
TIME: 618.960 [MIDI input] [80|01|7F] Ch. 1 Note C#0 OFF velocity: 127

Does that help?
Cheers
Pau'
Old 05-20-2016, 02:52 PM   #31
goldenarpharazon

Paul - I think you've exposed a small bug in the LED handling in that log file where the Midi message

"TIME: 446.618 [MIDI output] [80|01|7F] Ch. 1 Note C#0 OFF velocity: 127"

shows what is wrong. The control surface tries to switch the MidiMix LED on, but sends an incorrect Midi message so it doesn't switch on. I have a code fix that should address this but need a little extra help with testing : please see a private message on this testing?

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 05-24-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:14 AM   #32
smithoid

Hi
Just installed and there seems a problem. Changing mutes etc. in Reaper updates the Midimix display but the Midimix faders and buttons do not change anything in Reaper. The log shows data moving in both directions.
Cheers
Paul
Old 05-24-2016, 03:12 PM   #33
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithoid View Post
Hi
Just installed and there seems a problem. Changing mutes etc. in Reaper updates the Midimix display but the Midimix faders and buttons do not change anything in Reaper. The log shows data moving in both directions.
Cheers
Paul
Recommend sticking with the v0.95b version that works fine, pending proper testing of an update version with a fix for the minor LED handling bug mentioned in post #31
Old 05-26-2016, 02:52 AM   #34
smithoid

Cheers mate! Appreciate all your work on this :-)
Old 06-26-2016, 03:37 PM   #35
goldenarpharazon

Default 0.95c MIDIMIX control surface release announcement

0.95c release available: Fixes minor LED handling bug on brief button press (reported in post #22)

Last edited by goldenarpharazon; 06-27-2016 at 03:54 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 09:22 AM   #36
ChocolateHawkins

I've been considering getting a MIDIMix, and it looks like your middleware here will do what I need, but I wanted to clarify. You say that there can be 3 banks to reassign the knobs per bank for up to 72 parameters. Does this work via the bank left / page right buttons? Assuming I wanted bank 1 to have the knobs be CC 1 - 24, bank 2 25 - 49, etc. Will this work? Can I have the faders do other things than what you've said here? Say if I wanted them to work with send volume to various FX on the selected track only?

Thank you
ChocolateHawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 08:30 AM   #37
goldenarpharazon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateHawkins View Post
I've been considering getting a MIDIMix, and it looks like your middleware here will do what I need, but I wanted to clarify. You say that there can be 3 banks to reassign the knobs per bank for up to 72 parameters. Does this work via the bank left / page right buttons?
Yes. See the user guide .PDF where "instrument mode" explains to how the 3 notional banks work for the knobs. One has the same 24 assignable knobs as available in "mixer mode" plus 48 more knobs in two banks that can be assigned to anything in Reaper using learning.

Quote:
Assuming I wanted bank 1 to have the knobs be CC 1 - 24, bank 2 25 - 49, etc. Will this work?
Reaper learning and the allocation of unique OSC text strings to each of the 72 knobs in effect does this. However no Midi data passes into Reaper at all: rather the Midi data is changed to OSC strings which then pass to Reaper.

Quote:
Can I have the faders do other things than what you've said here? Say if I wanted them to work with send volume to various FX on the selected track only?
It is possible to change the fader action but one needs to understand or experiment with how Reaper OSC works and make simple changes to the MidiMixControl.txt file to assign a fader to a different action. Look for the string (i.e. variable name) called "fader1" in the file MidiMixControl.txt and it shows how this fader is pre-assigned to track volume (i.e. the first track of the eight tracks). By altering the code one could additionally make the faders do different Reaper actions in "mixer" and "instrument" mode if that suited a personal setup choice.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:41 AM   #38
ChocolateHawkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenarpharazon View Post
Yes. See the user guide .PDF where "instrument mode" explains to how the 3 notional banks work for the knobs. One has the same 24 assignable knobs as available in "mixer mode" plus 48 more knobs in two banks that can be assigned to anything in Reaper using learning.

Reaper learning and the allocation of unique OSC text strings to each of the 72 knobs in effect does this. However no Midi data passes into Reaper at all: rather the Midi data is changed to OSC strings which then pass to Reaper.

It is possible to change the fader action but one needs to understand or experiment with how Reaper OSC works and make simple changes to the MidiMixControl.txt file to assign a fader to a different action. Look for the string (i.e. variable name) called "fader1" in the file MidiMixControl.txt and it shows how this fader is pre-assigned to track volume (i.e. the first track of the eight tracks). By altering the code one could additionally make the faders do different Reaper actions in "mixer" and "instrument" mode if that suited a personal setup choice.
Fantastic. Thank you. I've got a MidiMix on order now.
ChocolateHawkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #39
goldenarpharazon

Default 1.00a MIDIMIX control surface release announcement - "Amethyst"

Amethyst - Adds soft takeover for the track volume faders and track pans
Old 09-05-2017, 02:33 AM   #40
XamiKami

This is amazing, thanks!

+---QUESTION:-----------------------------+
Just a little question to the people smarter than me:
As i don't really need the master Fader controlled ( should really always be at 0db),
i'd like to use it as a generic control, like the knobs. is that possible? if yes, what do i have to do to get it to be like that?

Also, more importantly, in Instrument mode I'd like to use one of the buttons ( like the 8th RecArm Button) to fire a custom action that bypasses the focused Effect. How do i do that? I tried replacing the standart line in the oscii-txt
( oscsend(OSC_to_REAPER, device_track_select, 8); oscsend(OSC_to_REAPER, device_fxparam_bank_select );

to
(oscsend(OSC_to_REAPER, reaper_action, _RS5bf653642222c500b0f33ad11ab015810a766f96);

as that is the action ID, but it doesnt work.
Please help me ;D Thanks in Advance
XamiKami is offline   Reply With Quote