Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > ReaScript, JSFX, REAPER Plug-in Extensions, Developer Forum

Old 05-14-2016, 11:40 PM   #1
juliansader
Human being with feelings

Default MIDI editor tools: multi-channel editing, pattern selection, MIDI Inspector, etc

A variety of scripts for useful MIDI editor tools.

INSTALLATION: All the scripts can be easily installed via the ReaPack extension.

HELP: Most of the scripts contain extensive Descriptions and Instructions inside the script file itself. These can be read in REAPER's built-in script editor (by clicking the "Edit" button in the Actions list), or in ReaPack's "About" window.

PERFORMANCE TIP: If the MIDI editor gets slow and jerky when a certain VST plugin is loaded, check for graphics driver incompatibility by disabling graphics acceleration in the plugin.

Multi Tool for MIDI and automation
The Multi Tool script has its own thread:

LFO Tool for MIDI and automation
And the LFO Tool has its own thread too:

Multi-channel MIDI editing
REAPER has advanced multi-channel editing features (particularly if combined with the channel-related scripts below). Channels can be employed as 16 all-purpose groups that can be independently edited, similar to FL Studio's "color groups". In particular, if "nodes" are drawn in one channel and the connecting curve in another (which the "Connect nodes" script can easily do), it is easy to re-selected and edit the nodes separately.

The following tools are described in another thread:
* Option - Selecting single note or CC in active take sets channel for new events
* Option - Switching active take sets channel for new events to channel of existing events
* Set MIDI send channel of selected tracks to channel of existing MIDI events in track
* Deselect all MIDI except in active channel of active take
* Set MIDI send channel of selected tracks to channel of existing MIDI events in track
* Autoincrement MIDI send channels of selected tracks
* Select active MIDI channel

General tools
* MIDI Inspector: A MIDI Inspector that improves on the native Properties windows in several ways.
* Insert empty space in time selection -- without moving MIDI and tempo markers off the grid

MIDI editing tools
* Quick draw linear, sine or LFO curves
* Insert CC at mouse position, leaving others selected
* Connect CCs with smooth Bézier curves or any other weird and warped ramps
* Remove redundant CCs
* Deselect all MIDI events outside time selection

* Fit selected events to time selection in last clicked lane
* Fit selected events to time selection in lane under mouse
* Fit all selected events to time selection
* Set time selection to selected events in last clicked lane
* Set time selection to selected events in lane under mouse

* Split / Trim notes by drawing a line with the mouse
* Select and deselect MIDI notes by step pattern

Notation scripts
* Select all notes that have customized display lengths or positions
* Set beaming of selected notes to custom rhythm
* Set display length of selected notes to double and add staccato articulation
* Set display length of selected notes to quadruple and add staccatissimo articulation
* Set displayed length of selected notes to custom value

Inline MIDI editor
Most of the MIDI editing scripts will also work in the inline editor. Here are two more scripts to make inline MIDI editing easier:
* Select channel for new events for inline MIDI editor under mouse[/url]
* Select CC lanes to show in MIDI item under mouse
* Select CC lanes to show in selected MIDI items (very useful for changing CC display of multiple items in the arrange view, without having to open the MIDI editor)

... and many other scripts! Please browse through the ReaPack repository for the "js_" scripts.

--------------------
Donations

A taste of the other nifty scripts in ReaPack:
Kawa's script pack / X-Raym's script pack / Lokasenna's Theory Helper / mpl's script pack / eugen's TrackFXs Routing Matrix / airon's Color Swatch Tool
Attached Images
File Type: png MIDI Inspector with FileBox eXtender pin-on-top button.png (9.4 KB, 25797 views)

Last edited by juliansader; 05-19-2021 at 09:25 AM.
juliansader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 11:43 PM   #2
juliansader

Default 2-sided warp (and stretch) selected events in lane under mouse:

REPLACED BY MULTI TOOL

2-sided warp (and stretch) selected events in lane under mouse:
* Events to the left of the mouse are stretched separately from events to the right. Moving the mouse up or down warps the events toward or away from the mouse.
* Useful for changing a linear ramp into a more complex logistic-type curve.
* Useful for accelerating and decelerating a series of evenly spaced notes, as is typical in a trill.

Last edited by juliansader; 01-06-2021 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:45 PM   #3
juliansader

Default Arch and Tilt

REPLACED BY MULTI TOOL

Arch and Tilt:

This script arches the selected events towards the mouse.

* If the mouse is outside the range of the selected events, either to the left or to the right, the events are Tilted towards the mouse.

* The steepness of the arch can be changed using the mousewheel, and middle-click switches between a sine curve and a linear curve.

* Useful for when you want to tweak an existing, complex CC or velocity curve up or down, so that you do not need to re-draw the curve.

* Useful for quickly applying and auditioning crescendo-decrescendo (fade-in and fade-out) curves.

Last edited by juliansader; 01-06-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:46 PM   #4
juliansader

Default Split or trim notes by drawing a line with the mouse

Split or trim notes by drawing a line with the mouse:

Last edited by juliansader; 02-13-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:46 PM   #5
juliansader

Default Deselect all MIDI events outside time selection (from all tracks)

Deselect all MIDI events outside time selection (from all tracks):

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Re...0tracks%29.lua
Old 05-15-2016, 01:11 AM   #6
juliansader

Default Insert CC or pitchwheel event at mouse position, leaving others selected

Insert CC or pitchwheel event at mouse position, leaving others selected:
* One of the simplest imaginable functions: inserting a single CC or pitchwheel event. But due to an unfortunate idiosyncracy of the MIDI editor, it is not possible to use a mouse modifier to insert a CC or pitchwheel event while leaving others selected.
* With snap-to-grid enabled, it is useful for inserting endpoint 'nodes' beneath notes.

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Re...20selected.lua

Last edited by juliansader; 02-07-2017 at 02:08 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:11 AM   #7
juliansader

Default Select and deselect MIDI notes by step pattern

EDIT 08-01-2016:

TIPS:
If it seems that the script does not apply the correct pattern, perhaps check the following:
~ Are the notes in the editor's active take?
~ Are the MIDI editor's grid setting correct? If the grid length is longer than the distance between the notes' start positions, the script will regard all these notes as a single chord or glissando.

This script works well with the "js_Deselect all notes outside time selection (from all takes).lua" script. Use the piano roll keys to select all notes in a range of pitches, and then run the Deselect script to limit the note selection to the time selection.

Last edited by juliansader; 05-25-2018 at 05:46 AM.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:11 AM   #8
juliansader

Default MIDI Inspector

EDIT 2019-02-17:

js_MIDI Inspector:

A script that shows important information about the active MIDI take, selected notes, and selected CCs.

The script can open a separate GUI window, or it can be "docked" inside the regions/markers lane of the MIDI editor:

The MIDI Inspector improves on REAPER's native Properties windows in several ways:
* The GUI is continuously updated and does not interfere with MIDI editing.
* If multiple events are selected, value ranges are shown.
* Note, CC and take information are all shown simultaneously.
* Note and CC positions can be displayed in any of REAPER's time formats - as well as additional, more accurate formats.
* When using multiple editors, the script will automatically switch to the active editor.

When docked, the script will try to use theme colors. However, the user can also specify custom colors in script's USER AREA, for the GUI as well as the docked modes.

Last edited by juliansader; 02-17-2019 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:11 AM   #9
juliansader

Default Draw linear or curved ramps -- or even LFOs -- in real time

Draw linear or curved ramps -- or even LFOs -- in real time:

* If snap to grid is enabled in the MIDI editor, the endpoints of the ramp or LFO will snap to grid, allowing precise positioning of the inserted CCs (allowing, for example, the insertion of a pitch riser at the exact position of a note).

* When drawing linear or sine ramps, the mousewheel warps the shape of the ramp (allowing the easy insertion of parabolic shapes). When drawing LFOs, the mousewheel scroll through the available shapes.

* The script can optionally chase existing CC values, instead of starting at the mouse's vertical position. This ensures that CC values change smoothly.

Draw LFO:

Draw ramp:

The following GIF is of an old, outdated version of the Draw ramp script:

Last edited by juliansader; 02-13-2019 at 01:17 PM.
Old 05-15-2016, 03:16 AM   #10
X-Raym

Impressive set of scripts ! well done !
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 03:39 AM   #11
Sju

Cool stuff, thank you! One question though: how do you bind these scripts to the mouse modifiers?

EDIT: Looks like the instructions are in the script file, nevermind I wish we could run the scripts using the mouse modifiers though...

Last edited by Sju; 05-15-2016 at 03:55 AM.
Sju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 05:21 AM   #12
vanhaze

This is great stuff, thanks very much !
vanhaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #13
mpl

Cool. I already find it useful for myself.
Did you saw our ReaPack stuff? What do you think about sharing your scripts this way?
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 09:53 AM   #14
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
Cool. I already find it useful for myself.
Did you saw our ReaPack stuff? What do you think about sharing your scripts this way?
I have been following the development of ReaPack with interest and I would feel very honoured to have my scripts included in the library! I am not familiar with Github, however - would it be possible to simply add these scripts to the ReaTeam repo?

BTW, I do not see gofer/spk77's very useful "Smooth CC values" script among spk77's other scripts in the collection.
Old 05-15-2016, 10:01 AM   #15
mpl

If you not against, I can simply add these scripts to repo with proper header and your credits on main page and then commit new index for extension later. I may didn`t find "smooth cc" before, just browsed stash and some forum threads, so it is ok I could forget to add something interesting.

Last edited by mpl; 05-15-2016 at 10:37 AM.
mpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2016, 10:53 AM   #16
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpl View Post
If you not against, I can simply add these scripts to repo with proper header and your credits on main page and then commit new index for extension later.
Great!
Old 05-15-2016, 12:05 PM   #17
dea-man

These seem fabulously useful.

Good work!

Thank you.
Old 05-15-2016, 12:25 PM   #18
musicbynumbers

What kind of witch craft is this!

Really great stuff here thanks!
Old 05-15-2016, 12:47 PM   #19
G-Sun

Looking first class
G-Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:33 AM   #20
musicbynumbers

This is quite bizarre I think.

I can't get any of these to work as either keyboard assigned scripts in the midi editor action list or the normal arrange page action list.

I've read the instructions too and am on the latest pre-release just in case.

I wonder if there's something obvious I'm doing wrong.

One thing it could be is that I use a wacom pen and not a mouse so maybe it's not picking up on the absolute position of the pen?

Will try a mouse in a sec.

EDIT: nope, mouse didn't work either. Could it be having the midi editor docked under the arrange and synced up that's causing it?

Last edited by musicbynumbers; 05-17-2016 at 07:38 AM.
musicbynumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 07:37 AM   #21
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicbynumbers View Post
This is quite bizarre I think.

I can't get any of these to work as either keyboard assigned scripts in the midi editor action list or the normal arrange page action list.

I've read the instructions too and am on the latest pre-release just in case.

I wonder if there's something obvious I'm doing wrong.

One thing it could be is that I use a wacom pen and not a mouse so maybe it's not picking up on the absolute position of the pen?

Will try a mouse in a sec.
Since these functions are user scripts, the way they respond to shortcut keys and mouse buttons is opposite to that of REAPER's built-in mouse actions with mouse modifiers: To run a script, press the shortcut key *once* to start the script and then move the mouse or mousewheel *without* pressing any mouse buttons. Press the shortcut key again once to stop the script.

(The first time that a script is stopped, REAPER will pop up a dialog box asking whether to terminate or restart the script. Select "Terminate" and "Remember my answer for this script".)
Old 05-17-2016, 08:22 AM   #22
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by juliansader View Post
Since these functions are user scripts, the way they respond to shortcut keys and mouse buttons is opposite to that of REAPER's built-in mouse actions with mouse modifiers: To run a script, press the shortcut key *once* to start the script and then move the mouse or mousewheel *without* pressing any mouse buttons. Press the shortcut key again once to stop the script.

(The first time that a script is stopped, REAPER will pop up a dialog box asking whether to terminate or restart the script. Select "Terminate" and "Remember my answer for this script".)
Thanks. I did try that and what's interesting is that I don't even get the terminate window like I do with most scripts. Should I be running them from the normal action window or the midi action window? I've tried both though?
Old 05-17-2016, 09:08 AM   #23
Soli Deo Gloria

Quote:
Thanks. I did try that and what's interesting is that I don't even get the terminate window like I do with most scripts. Should I be running them from the normal action window or the midi action window? I've tried both though?
I have the same issue; I haven´t been able to use them since I find the same situation as musicbynumbers. Running them either with shortcuts or through the action windows does not seem to do anything, no matter what combination of mouse/mousewheel movements movements I use.
Soli Deo Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 09:23 AM   #24
juliansader

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soli Deo Gloria View Post
I have the same issue; I haven´t been able to use them since I find the same situation as musicbynumbers. Running them either with shortcuts or through the action windows does not seem to do anything, no matter what combination of mouse/mousewheel movements movements I use.
Curiouser and curiouser... I quickly tested the scripts on a new installation of REAPER, and they seem to work OK.

Perhaps you could check the following?
1) The events that you want to manipulate are selected
2) The MIDI editor is active
3) The mouse is over the lane

If the mouse is not positioned over a suitable part of REAPER's interface, the script will not run.

Do you have the same problems with the Deselect script (which does not involve the mouse)?
Old 05-17-2016, 10:22 AM   #25
Soli Deo Gloria

I try everything as you say, but the scripts do not seem to respond. The deselect one does indeed work, though...
Old 05-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #26
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Curiouser and curiouser... I quickly tested the scripts on a new installation of REAPER, and they seem to work OK.

Perhaps you could check the following?
1) The events that you want to manipulate are selected
2) The MIDI editor is active
3) The mouse is over the lane

If the mouse is not positioned over a suitable part of REAPER's interface, the script will not run.

Do you have the same problems with the Deselect script (which does not involve the mouse)?
Well, the good news is the deselect script works and that's run from the midi editor section of the actions window. but even with the above, the others do nothing at all

I've been assigning the script to single keys on the keyboard and just tried to detach the midi editor as well as unsync it just in case and nothing still.

Weird!

Will try my 2nd computer when I get time. Very curious to know what it could be!
Old 05-17-2016, 11:01 AM   #27
musicbynumbers

Is there a dependency/API thingy we need outside of reaper that most people may have but for some reason we don't?
Old 05-17-2016, 11:36 AM   #28
gwok

hmm, not working here either, mavericks, 5.20 64bit.

Tried a bunch of tweaks, including unassigning the mousewheel, no luck though. THey are meant to be installed as midi actions not "main" actions I assume?
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:27 PM   #29
juliansader

Quote:
Is there a dependency/API thingy we need outside of reaper that most people may have but for some reason we don't?
It does need SWS.
Old 05-17-2016, 12:37 PM   #30
gwok

hmm, just updated SWS from the official to the beta, no improvement.

I do notice that when I run the action compress or expand select cc\vel using mousewheel, some of the cc's move just a slight little bit left or right upon running the action. The mousewheel doesnt do anything though.

Also, is there a possibility of action\mouse modifier assignments creating some sort of conflict that breaks the functionality?

thanks!

edit: also tested on 32bit, and on my laptop (mavericks) same result.

Last edited by gwok; 05-17-2016 at 12:48 PM.
gwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:40 PM   #31
Soli Deo Gloria

I´m on Win 7 x64, Reaper 5.20 and latest SWS pre v8.7.0, by the way...
Old 05-17-2016, 01:54 PM   #32
ELP

the problem is that his scripts need exactly stable sws version 2.8.3..
newer betas 2.8.6 or 2.8.7 and also lower versions others then stable SWS 2.8.3 do not work...
for this scripts

some of the br_xxxx things like reaper.BR_GetMouseCursorContext() seems to be broken within newer betas... or maybe complete missing like Breeder^^
(have looked not yet accurate...)

With SWS 2.8.3 x86 & x64 all his/this great scripts work..

really good & much useful scripts. but need exact sws 2.8.3

Greetings

Last edited by ELP; 05-17-2016 at 02:01 PM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:18 PM   #33
musicbynumbers

That's probably it. I'm on the latest beta for sws.

And so it begins.. the slow but sure "unwinding" of all the lovely sws tapestry as buts of it start to break and there's no one to fix them. Really sad..

Thought it would last a bit longer than this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP View Post
newer betas 2.8.6 or 2.8.7 and also lower versions others then stable SWS 2.8.3 do not work...
for this scripts

some of the br_xxxx things like reaper.BR_GetMouseCursorContext() seems to be broken within newer betas... or maybe complete missing like Breeder^^

Greetings
Old 05-17-2016, 05:33 PM   #34
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELP View Post
for this scripts

Greetings
Thanks for the insight!

Good news: the problems with the scripts appear not to be due to anything being broken in the new pre-release, but actually due to a bug fix. In fact, I noted in the scripts that:
-- ! SWS documentation is incorrect: NO retval is returned
-- ! by BR_GetMouseCursorContext_MIDI()
It seems that this was indeed a bug, and that it is now fixed in the new pre-release.

I would not be difficult to adapt the scripts to the new version. (Simply add an extra "_," before each call to BR_GetMouseCursorContext_MIDI().) When I corrected this in the scripts, they all worked fine with the new SWS pre-release.

(Perhaps I can even include a test to distinguish between the two versions, so that the scripts can handle both versions.)
Old 05-17-2016, 06:07 PM   #35
Fergler

THANK YOU. THANK YOU SO MUCH I have needed this for so long. It has baffled me since day 1 that this is not included natively. In some way, I hate you for doing this because now Justin can just point to this when people bitch about it.

Imo if you can stretch audio, a complex series of sample values, then having tools for stretching much more basic values like CC is a no-brainer.

The way Cubase does it is absolutely perfect as far as I'm concerned. And I'm sure there's other DAWs with equally useable tools.
Fergler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 11:28 AM   #36
ELP

jope @juliansader that it was.

BR_GetMouseCursorContext_MIDI retval value #783
https://github.com/Jeff0S/sws/issues/783

The problem with this fix is now...
if you would do it right (docu) like example this
_, _, _, ccLane, ccLaneVal, _ = reaper.BR_GetMouseCursorContext_MIDI()

this would break your scripts with the last stable 2.8.3

and if you would do it like this to avoid the issue within 2.8.3
_, _, ccLane, ccLaneVal, _ = reaper.BR_GetMouseCursorContext_MIDI()

this would not be like within docu and break the SWS versions which include the fix...

normally 2.8.7 should be the last stable SWS at sws-extension.org and not 2.8.3 but we all know......

Last edited by ELP; 05-18-2016 at 11:43 AM.
ELP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:28 PM   #37
juliansader

Scripts updated to v1.1 and should now be compatible with the new pre-release versions of SWS, as well as current v2.8.3.

(Except for "Draw linear or curved ramps in real time, chasing start values", which I want to tweak a bit more.)

EDIT 2016-05-19: "Draw linear or curved ramps in real time, chasing start values" now also updated to v1.1

Last edited by juliansader; 05-19-2016 at 06:42 AM.
Old 05-18-2016, 04:12 PM   #38
X-Raym

I found a GitHub repo full of REAPER MIDI actions, all documented, with screenshot :
kawaCat/ReaScript-MIDI: Reaper ReaScript MIDI

I paste the link here as it is not on the forum and to give some inspiration to juliansader :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:36 PM   #39
musicbynumbers

Quote:
Scripts updated to v1.1 and should now be compatible with the new pre-release versions of SWS, as well as current v2.8.3.

(Except for "Draw linear or curved ramps in real time, chasing start values", which I want to tweak a bit more.)
Thanks! will try them again tomorrow. Much appreciated!
Old 05-19-2016, 11:55 AM   #40
juliansader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergler View Post
THANK YOU. THANK YOU SO MUCH I have needed this for so long. It has baffled me since day 1 that this is not included natively. In some way, I hate you for doing this because now Justin can just point to this when people bitch about it.

Imo if you can stretch audio, a complex series of sample values, then having tools for stretching much more basic values like CC is a no-brainer.

The way Cubase does it is absolutely perfect as far as I'm concerned. And I'm sure there's other DAWs with equally useable tools.
In fact, one of the reasons why I wrote these scripts is to try and convince Cockos to include these (and other) basic CC editing capabilities as built-in Actions and mouse modifiers.

I have submitted the Feature Request: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=177058. Let's hope it gets a positive response!