Old 01-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #1
Irvin
Human being with feelings

Default What about a new GUI?

Cocos should devote a single update to providing a better GUI. The default one is pretty ugly and 99% of the themes are deeply ugly or flawed.

Hell, I have reached the point where I'd gladly pay for commercial themes done by professionals. Reaper should have looks that matched the features.
Irvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:09 PM   #2
Lokasenna

Justin told me personally that they've got a new one completely ready to go, but they're waiting until we can go more than two weeks without someone starting a new thread about it.
Old 01-17-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
grayter1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lokasenna View Post
Justin told me personally that they've got a new one completely ready to go, but they're waiting until we can go more than two weeks without someone starting a new thread about it.
lol. I see what you did there...

tg
Mac Studio M1 MAX / 64GB / 2TB HD / macOS Ventura 13.6.3 / RME BabyFace Pro FS / SSL UF8 + UF1 + UC1 / Roland SYSTEM 8 / Kontrol S61 mk3 / Keylab 61 mkII / Komplete 14 / Omnisphere / Keyscape / Trilian / V Collection X / UVI Falcon
grayter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:20 PM   #4
Irvin

Quote:
But it's ugly, mama!
Old 01-17-2017, 05:25 PM   #5
Paul99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irvin View Post
But it's ugly, mama!
When you want gorgeous pictures, look on certain websites.
I personally hope that Reaper will stay as "dull" as it is, because it doesn't distract me and helps me focusing on what is important: making music in stead of looking at fancy wallpaper.
Paul99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 05:48 PM   #6
Irvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul99 View Post
When you want gorgeous pictures, look on certain websites.
I personally hope that Reaper will stay as "dull" as it is, because it doesn't distract me and helps me focusing on what is important: making music in stead of looking at fancy wallpaper.
I'm the opposite: great interfaces inspire me and I get the feeling it's a better product than one equally capable but ugly.

Looks matter to most people. And Reaper is pretty ugly, to be honest. That said, I respect your right to like Reaper's "dull" look (as you call it) - there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:11 PM   #7
axel_ef

Quote:
And Reaper is pretty ugly, to be honest.
If you do not like it then use something else.
axel_ef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 06:17 PM   #8
X-Raym

@Irvin
Quote:
99% of the themes are deeply ugly or flawed.
If you do the math, it leaves you with something around 3-4 nice looking themes. It should be enough, considering that you can only one at a time :P
X-Raym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 07:04 PM   #9
Irvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel_ef View Post
If you do not like it then use something else.
According to that line of asinine 'reasoning', the developers might as well stop adding features, fixing bugs and generally improving the product. Any requests for a better RePer would be met with your answer...lol
Old 01-17-2017, 07:10 PM   #10
Irvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Raym View Post
@Irvin

If you do the math, it leaves you with something around 3-4 nice looking themes. It should be enough, considering that you can only one at a time :P
Yes, there are like 3 or 4 nice-looking themes, indeed. The problem is they are very old and don't address the most recent features. About the best one is the semi-commercial ProTools theme by Albert-C, but it seems abandoned now.

Besides, there should be al least ONE good-looking, professionally developed them released by the developers themselves.

Leaving a lot of tasks to the volunteer community fosters a sense od community in some geeks/fanboys, but does nothing for Reaper's perception among more advanced users or people used to better interfaces in the DAW market.

Reaper has to be the ugliest DAW out there. Or maybe tied for last in the looks department. I' m not the first person to say it, btw.
Old 01-17-2017, 07:12 PM   #11
Irvin

In any case, developing a professional-looking skin/theme is a win-win proposition: those who want a better GUI get their wish and those who like the present look can use this 'classic' look. Everybody is happy!
Old 01-17-2017, 07:50 PM   #12
nicholas
Scribe

Lord have mercy on us, please
nicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #13
EpicSounds

You've told us what you don't like, how about showing us what your ideal theme or new GUI would look like.

show us your scrapbook or dream board or whatever.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:19 PM   #14
tls11823

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post
You've told us what you don't like, how about showing us what your ideal theme or new GUI would look like.

And then see if you can get everybody else to agree that it's wonderful. Not gonna happen. Everybody likes something different.

I, along with many others, don't see anything wrong with the way Reaper looks. Other people do. You're not going to find a look that everybody agrees is the best. Who gets to decide what's good and what isn't?
Old 01-17-2017, 08:41 PM   #15
Irvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicSounds View Post

Can't do it: that's a task for professional GUI designers, not Reaper users like me or you.

Your expectation that I could come up with a GUI exactly reflects the problem with Reaper: the GUI has been put in the hands of people who are not qualified for the task.

Reaper's GUI needs real professionals, not well-meaning amateurs.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:46 PM   #16
Irvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tls11823 View Post
And then see if you can get everybody else to agree that it's wonderful. Not gonna happen. Everybody likes something different.

I, along with many others, don't see anything wrong with the way Reaper looks. Other people do. You're not going to find a look that everybody agrees is the best. Who gets to decide what's good and what isn't?
100% agreement is not necessary and - I agree with you - practically impossible. What is very possible and easily doable is to give the task to professionals and let them make the decisions. No different than deciding what bugs to fix, what features to add next, etc: it's done without users agreeing 100% or even knowing about it.
Old 01-17-2017, 08:50 PM   #17
Lokasenna

Incidentally, "ugly" is an entirely subject term. Try "utilitarian". Anyone who thinks Reaper's interface is ugly clearly didn't grow up with Windows 3.1 and four-color DOS games.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #18
AugerJ

Don't know, altered default themes (for v4 and v5) seem usable...
And some themes for other sequencers (made by pros, allegedly) don't...
So, which pros are the best (isn't that choice/decision subjective)?

Last edited by AugerJ; 01-18-2017 at 08:22 AM.
AugerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 09:32 PM   #19
ReaperMadness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas View Post
Lord have mercy on us, please
I fear we've been abandoned. Worse, actually. The great Trumpty Dumpty is about to sit on his wall.

New Music: = Mourning Marrs =
ReaperMadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 10:58 PM   #20
CUSTOMACTIONMANIA

cool edit pro is the prettiest looking daw ever in the history of the world in the universe beyond the black hole.

- customactionmania
CUSTOMACTIONMANIA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:18 PM   #21
mschnell

Quote:
Happily this is not going to happen
-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:22 PM   #22
mschnell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul99 View Post
Yep. Lemma of the god of composers:

The beauty of the music is reverse reciprocal to the beauty of the DAW GUI.

But unfortunately they did not give an advice on how to define "beauty".

-Michael
mschnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 11:37 PM   #23
somebodyelseuk

Quote:
Looks matter to most people.
...until they grow up.

That mindset is going to cost you fortunes in divorces.
Old 01-18-2017, 12:41 AM   #24
drichard

I don't like the default GUI either, but you really should take a better look at some of the available themes. I think several are outstanding.

Given that you don't like the default or add-on themes, the possibility of Cockos coming up with the perfect scheme for your very particular taste are probably way less than 1%. You have better odds with the add-on themes.

Quote:
Cocos should devote a single update to providing a better GUI. The default one is pretty ugly and 99% of the themes are deeply ugly or flawed.

Hell, I have reached the point where I'd gladly pay for commercial themes done by professionals. Reaper should have looks that matched the features.
drichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 12:56 AM   #25
esosotericmetal

Try modding some themes yourself. It's actually not as hard as it may seem once you get the general idea. I've managed to fix a fair number things with the default theme that bothered me and I don't really have much of a programming background. Of course there is a lot of non theme-able elements, but hopefully that will change in the future.
esosotericmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 01:14 AM   #26
Slapclap

moaners gotta moan.
Slapclap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 02:22 AM   #27
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Hell, I have reached the point where I'd gladly pay for commercial themes done by professionals. …

there should be al (sic) least ONE good-looking, professionally developed them released by the developers themselves. …

developing a professional-looking skin/theme is a win-win proposition …

that's a task for professional GUI designers …

What is very possible and easily doable is to give the task to professionals* …
OK, I really didn't want to jump into this thread but it's got beyond a joke.

You might not like the default theme. I get that. That's your right, although you at no time say exactly what is wrong with it, instead preferring to just use vague terms like "ugly."

But you won't win any friends in playing the man instead of the ball. I can assure you that the theme developer, White Tie, is thoroughly professional. I am far from being alone in saying that Cockos is well served by his skills.

I'd better stop there before this post becomes undignified.

Last edited by nicholas; 01-18-2017 at 02:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:43 AM   #28
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

"thoroughly professional" might be pushing it. Yesterday I burped in a meeting.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:51 AM   #29
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Ah but you were at the meeting. If my recollections of too many wasted years spent working in the corporate sector serve me well, that truly makes you a "professional."

Last edited by nicholas; 01-18-2017 at 02:58 AM.
Old 01-18-2017, 03:02 AM   #30
slipstick

Quote:
Reaper's GUI needs real professionals, not well-meaning amateurs.
So if I explain to you that the current UI was designed by a well respected professional designer that will make it o.k. for you will it ?

Steve
slipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 03:30 AM   #31
ivansc

Irving: Whilst I appreciate that you have at least enough common sense to shy away from offering your own "take" on a good theme, you obviously have a GUI in mind that you consider to be both professional AND more effective in terms of workflow thatn the existing Reaper one. Care to share THAT, at least?

I am currently a fully paid up member of the Studiuo One, Sonar, Tracktion, Logic Pro and Reaper clubs, plus a couple of others you probably havent heard of.

MY take on this is that ALL of them have flaws in terms of GUI look and workflow, but as to which comes closest I dont know.
What I have found is that generally speaking the prettier they are the more crap there is getting in the way of actually doing stuff.

And you might want to look at House of White Tie before you suggest that Cockos might hire a truly professional designer to create the Reaper GUI. Think you might get a surprise at his client list.

And in any case IF you had bothered to search the foeum before posting you would have seen that we get new arrivals posting stuff similar to this on a weekly basis.
So your post is kinda a waste of bandwidth and an unintentional troll of sorts..

But anyway, welcome to the forums.

We are for the most part a friendly bunch, but if you think of yourself as that guy that just moved into town and started criticising the decor of the local bar, which the locals KNOW is a little scruffy but put up with it because the beer is great and the wings heavenly, you`ll understand the reaction you got in this thread.

Forgot to mention the barmaid`s ass!
Old 01-18-2017, 03:52 AM   #32
Vagalume

This is really amazing, every week some users ask for changes, for instance a nicer gui ... and suddenly other users say he doesn't need that, he should try another DAW, who the f€~# are you?

If you don't need it just don't write.

I don't need a nicer GUI so I won't say anything about the subject,

... but let the people who support this idea express themselves and ask whatever they want.
Vagalume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 AM   #33
Irvin

Sorry, guys, but blind fanboyism is not an answer. Mr WhiteTie (or whatever the name is) may be a professional to you, but he has delivered a real turd when it comes to Reaper's GUI. That thing is out of the 90's: old, ugly and with a terrible greenish color scheme that only Shrek would like.

But then again, Reaper has become more like a cult...so, we will have to agree to disagree.

I made my point, you guys made yours. End of debate for me. You are free to continue the discussion among yourselves.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:00 AM   #34
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagalume View Post

... but let the people who support this idea express themselves and ask whatever they want.
Sure. As long as, as I said above, they play the ball and not the man.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:03 AM   #35
nicholas
Scribe

Quote:
Sorry, guys, but blind fanboyism is not an answer.
Asking you to conduct yourself courteously and respectfully is not fanboyism.
Old 01-18-2017, 04:04 AM   #36
Irvin

Quote:
This is really amazing, every week some users ask for changes, for instance a nicer gui ... and suddenly other users say he doesn't need that, he should try another DAW, who the f€~# are you?

Thanks, Vegalume!

The cult atmosphere and cult-like reaction is pretty weird, indeed. lol
Old 01-18-2017, 04:26 AM   #37
DrKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikerider View Post
I gratefully missed w3.1 entirely because I was going 16 million colours on my sadly lamented and greatly missed Amiga.
Just thinking the same thing! AmigaDOS was four colours (blue, orange, black, and white). 4Mb of ram and no hard drive and I loved it.

Of course I also remember monochrome macs, VT100 terminals, and windows 3.0.

Quote:
(applause)
Old 01-18-2017, 05:17 AM   #38
Softsynth

Why is Irvin being shot down for this?
It is much like when Mik Composer and friends like to moan about MIDI editing in piano roll. The gang mentality comes in to give the dissenters a good kicking; as if users are afraid that Cockos will throw in the towel, sell it on to a bigger company that will give it a lick of cosmetic paint, hundreds of MBs of second rate plugin dross to download every other month, an annoying mandatory downloader program, and abandon development of the functionality after a few months, as other commercial opportunities appear (companies with good ideas to buy up and destroy).

Obviously to us Reaper does most things right but if the same issues keep cropping up then they are worth consideration. simple modifications on the base theme improve Reaper substantially and yet do not come in the standard download.

Lokasenna's Nitpicky theme, Commala 5 dark theme, 2016 Reaper 5 dark theme and in the past the RADO theme have all been to me a substantial improvement for little download space. It puzzles me that Reaper went with the base theme such as it is, without offering some others as default options. Various skins point to improvements without making Reaper another large, unwieldy download behemoth.

Several different users (elsewhere) have had PMs with me and told me they do not like Reaper because it is plain or ugly. Shallow maybe, first impressions.......
Softsynth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 05:25 AM   #39
cyrano

Quote:

+1

I'm not bothered by the interface. But any push for a change gets greeted with fanboism. How about support for high dpi displays?

And again, I don't need it, but it is something that WILL creep up when I buy a new laptop.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:29 AM   #40
martifingers

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Tie View Post
Priceless response!

FWIW I too think Cuckos have chosen well.
martifingers is offline   Reply With Quote