Old 02-15-2017, 05:02 PM   #1
Luster
Human being with feelings

Default Folder indent in MCP - is this possible?

Hello there!

I looked under the hood of Default_Commala_5_light and the last WT Imperial Preview how it was implemented there but Walter code isn't my strongest language. Copy pasting / trial and error didn't light up much in my mind so I am asking:
Is something like this (view below!) possible via Walter code and maybe can you help me implement it?

It's about the folder indentation. A weak point for many themes IMHO is non intuitive way of showing the folder state. You don't get a feeling for the signal routing...
So I thought not to blend in some fancy icon but differentiate the layout. But the faders and buttons of Reaborn 2 are fixed and aligned in height and I think this should stay as it is. But FX insert and send slots are plenty there on a reasonable big monitor. So cut there some space to get a feeling for track "depth".

Any help is appreciated.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 04:42 AM   #2
White Tie
Pixel Pusher

I explained how I did MCP folder indenting in THIS theme's thread.

If you're writing your own WALTER from scratch, its really very simple, there are variables for folderdepth, you move stuff with 'em, boom - stuff has moved on tracks depending on their folderdepth.

I find editing WALTER to be harder than writing it. I imagine it is doubly hard when trying to edit someone else's WALTER. And then triply(?) hard if you're still learning how WALTER works. If you have a theme you like, and don't want to do graphics, then I suggest throwing away all the WALTER and starting again using its images. I guarantee you'll make rapid progress.
Old 02-16-2017, 05:03 AM   #3
cubic13

Hi, Luster

Throwing ideas as they come, so, these heve to be taken with caution...

First, I think this would not work if mcp.extmixer.mode was at 0, without being sure of it. This said, I was thinking of something like this :

set mcp.size [76 445]
set.mcp.extmixer.mode [1]
set y_extmix * 10 folderdepth
set mcp.extmixer.position [3 y_extmix{x} 75 23 0 0 0 1]

...or something like that. But this doesn't work because we don't have control about how the extended mixer is placed per track and, AFAIK, the mcp.extmixer element is global for all tracks and cannot be set individually for each one, contrarily to the other elements of the mcp panel. The result is that this indeed allows folder indentation in the bottom of the mixer and not on the top of it.

So, the only way to implement this, I think, would be to reverse completely the implementation of the mixer strips, putting the elements which usually are on the bottom (buttons, fader, meters, etc.) on the top of it.
cubic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #4
Luster

Thanks guys for the advice! It helped a lot.
The link to the thread was exactly what I was looking for but couldn't find it due to lack of precise keywords or the search engine had better days.

I did find my own way through it by just starting with commenting everything out of the file and step by step ad it back to see what happens and then tried hard to get my idea done.

I will update my theme mod soon. Just have to polish some graphic files first. So far I am proud as hell about what I got.

Thanks again.
Luster is offline   Reply With Quote