Go Back   Cockos Incorporated Forums > REAPER Forums > newbieland

Old 02-14-2018, 05:53 AM   #1
Jay_S
Human being with feelings

Default Sample Replacement - Waveform Disappears When I disable "loop item source".

Greetings! I am working with sample replacement and am trying to replace a poorly recorded snare with a sample I have.

I know this is done by splitting selected items, opening up the media explorer and then replacing the sample by right-clicking on another sample and selecting "use as media source for selected items". I have also made sure I disabled "Loop Item Source".

However, when I do this the audio seems to disappear. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong please? I can't seem to find a link or explanation to help me.
Jay_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 05:59 AM   #2
schwa
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_S View Post
Greetings! I am working with sample replacement and am trying to replace a poorly recorded snare with a sample I have.

I know this is done by splitting selected items, opening up the media explorer and then replacing the sample by right-clicking on another sample and selecting "use as media source for selected items". I have also made sure I disabled "Loop Item Source".

However, when I do this the audio seems to disappear. Any advice on what I'm doing wrong please? I can't seem to find a link or explanation to help me.
If you are dropping in a one-hit sample, it's simplest to split as you describe, then delete the bad hit and drag in the replacement.

When you split the original, the media source for the bad hit is still the original recording that includes the entire drum track, and the split item contains only a short portion of it -- say, a half-second that occurs two minutes into a three-minute recording. If you switch the media source, as you have done, the item now represents a half-second that occurs two minutes into a half-second recording, in other words, nothing. In the item properties dialog you can see this in the "start in source" field. If you prefer to use the replace-source method for whatever reason, you need to reset the start in source field to zero.
schwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #3
Jay_S
Human being with feelings

That solves it, thanks!
Jay_S is offline   Reply With Quote